Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hopefully a CV problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully a CV problem

I searched a bit for this, but as my post is two pronged, I figured it was best to ask outright. I recently moved my wife down to Fernandina Beach, Florida (bought a house, the whole 9 yards as it were). This past weekend, I pulled our fully loaded trailer down to the new house (3-4000 lbs easy). Everything was fine on the 600 mile ride down. Right as I was leaving back for Va, late sunday, for an overnight drive back to Va, I pulled onto the street, and the truck started making a really odd grinding, whirring noise when I applied the gas, and a more subtle whirring noise when coasting. The sound appeared to be coming from the passenger side halfshaft. I took off the now empty trailer, and it still made the noise. I just replaced both front CVs ~10k miles ago, and I know they were done right as I do all my maintenance myself. The only thing that makes me worry is that the tranny has had a moderate whine in all gears but fourth for 40k miles or so (never gotten appreciably worse). For some reason, I fear the noise and the tranny issue may be related. The CV appears fine (I didn't have my toolbox and all stores were closed, so I was only able to take off the skid and visually inspect). I had to come back because I am in the Navy and I am going to sea very soon.

My question 1st is this: does this sound like the symptoms of a CV that is broken internally?

My second question (and this kills me): Does anyone know of a trusty mechanic in the Jax/Fernandina, FL area? I haven't taken a car to a shop in years, but she needs it, and I can't be there to fix it.

Thanks everyone in advance, and sorry for the long one.

Last edited by kmcaprice14; 01-26-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Oh and ~5k ago I installed a 1" diff drop.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM

If you can put the 4Runner on jack stands, see if you can duplicate the noise. If you can, disconnect the front driveshaft & try again. you should be able to narrow it down this way.

Good Luck,
Paul
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There isn't any way for him to disconnect the front drive shafts without removing them. The 98 4runners are bolted straight to the hub/spindle assemblies. The only way to check, is to remove them. I would say remove the front drivelines, drain the front diff, and see if it still makes the noise. Then you can eliminate the CV's as the problem. BTW, if you do it this way, DON'T put it in 4x4 until you reinstall the axles and refill the diff.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM

He wasn't sure that the noise was coming from the CV. I was intending that he isolate the front drive from the Transmission/ Transfer case. I guess the appropriate Toyota terminology would be the Front Propeller Shaft.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 AM

well, that's doesn't sound good. normally when CV starts to go bad, it only "click" while turning, not on the straight road.

sadly i had the same issue like yours, in Dec. i moved from CA to IN, a 2100 mile run with about 400lbs cargo(not a trailer, just in the back cargo bay and back seats, mainly tools and computers that i couldn't trust shipping company to handle). i didn't know the exact weight but as fas as i know, the rear coils were compressed 4-1/2 inches after i loaded up, on a flat ground.

mine broke down soon after i arrived, i thought the noise was from the ARB bumper i installed myself got lose, but it turned out to be one of the bearings in the tranny was broken, small metal shavings were all over, some got inside other bearings, too. the shop was recommended by fellow members on TTORA forum, they seems to know what they are doing. the tranny has to be complete rebuilt with all new OEM bearings and syncro rings, old gears are fine. cost: ~$1500. it would be cheaper to replace with a junkyard tranny, but a.) 5sp+4WD are really hard to find, b.) i never trust the mileage the junkyard listed, c.) no warranty from the tranny shop.

i'll pick it up in few days, boy i miss driving it already.

good luck on yours.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
, b.) i never trust the mileage the junkyard listed,
Why would you make a statement like that? What logical reason would a reputable wrecking yard have to lie? For example, we list the miles on EVERYTHING we sell, based on what the odometer says. We also carfax all of our vehicles to verify correct miles, and look for things like marks on the instrument cluster screws that would prove its removal. Accuratly stating miles is very important to wrecking yards, as it can mean the difference between a sale, and our reputation.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
He wasn't sure that the noise was coming from the CV. I was intending that he isolate the front drive from the Transmission/ Transfer case. I guess the appropriate Toyota terminology would be the Front Propeller Shaft.
I re-read your post and understood imeadietly waht you meant. I have no idea why i called the CV's drive shafts, i never call them that. I was talking about removing the CV's. However, removing the driveshaft first will eliminate the U-joints being the problem. Good call.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Why would you make a statement like that? What logical reason would a reputable wrecking yard have to lie? For example, we list the miles on EVERYTHING we sell, based on what the odometer says. We also carfax all of our vehicles to verify correct miles, and look for things like marks on the instrument cluster screws that would prove its removal. Accuratly stating miles is very important to wrecking yards, as it can mean the difference between a sale, and our reputation.
because not all the junkyards do business like you do.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
because not all the junkyards do business like you do.
Ok, but why would you post a general statement like that? Are you contending that the yard you would have gotten the trans from does do business like that? What is your assumption based on?

Im not trying to start an argument, don't get me wrong, but I feel its unfair to assume right out of the box that a wrecking yard will try to screw you.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM

thanks to everyone for the responses... i was worried when it made the noise when not turning. I really hope the tranny is not toast. I will try my damnedest to get down to the area again to try to isolate the problem, but I may not have the chance before my boat leaves.

Just in case, any good recommendations for tranny shops in the Jacksonville area? Should I risk a dealer? A big name like AAmco? Thanks again
Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Check out TTORA and ask your question there. You might get a better response. It's worth a try. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...play.php?f=112
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM

OK. Now this is weird. I came down this weekend (last weekend I have) to look at the truck, and the noise is gone. Completely. I drove it around for 30 minutes trying to get it to come back. Nothing. WTF?!?! Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM

I would at least drain the transmission fluid to see if any metal shavings or chunks can be seen. Should be an easy job. Or maybe your truck is magic. Seriously, though, don't ignore problems like this. It could just mask itself for a little while before really causing some damage.