Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hilux Surf Field Monitor unit install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hilux Surf Field Monitor unit install

Happened upon this item on eBay and it had a link back here about install, but no pics and with all the posts filtered in ... well a gr8 read and hunt and peck but I would love to hear about those who have installed one of these and directions/pics on what was encountered, modified, changed, swapped etc. In other owrds a single step by step install. My 98 has the sunroof and the unit I purchased is the sunroof model field unit. It is supposed to come complete with sensors and some instructions, but I need some hands on guys who have done this to help me figure this out so I don't take till the next millenium to get it installed. I learn best by doing and looking at pics. The links I have found in my searching here didn't show me any pics or most were the box 'X' variety. With some help from my brethren here, I know I can install this in a weekend. I'll also take install pics as I go using your instructions so it will hopefully benefit some one else who attempts to do this really kewl looking mod.

Once again, thanks to those who mentioned some mods I can start on my new 98'. I would love to post pics but don't have any or know yet how to put them in the posts so everyone can see them ( don't have a server to post them to) still trying to learn how to do that. Sooooooo here I go!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where'd you get it? i try the jdm guys ebay store every now and then but nothing! we seriously need to find a jdm retailer for this, i'd almost pay full price for em
Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
???

Whats a field monitor?

Its that like external temp, altitude etc?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

This link should help out:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=roof+console

Nice find as well!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, ewong, they're the same thing

i envy you for finding this, keep us posted
Old 05-31-2007, 07:09 AM

Wow I have been thinking about something like this for awhile! I want one too!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

ritzy, you mind me asking how much you paid for it? and is that you on ebay right now as the high bidder on those clear jdm tails?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Happened upon this item on eBay and it had a link back here about install, but no pics and with all the posts filtered in ... well a gr8 read and hunt and peck but I would love to hear about those who have installed one of these and directions/pics on what was encountered, modified, changed, swapped etc. In other owrds a single step by step install. My 98 has the sunroof and the unit I purchased is the sunroof model field unit. It is supposed to come complete with sensors and some instructions, but I need some hands on guys who have done this to help me figure this out so I don't take till the next millenium to get it installed. I learn best by doing and looking at pics. The links I have found in my searching here didn't show me any pics or most were the box 'X' variety. With some help from my brethren here, I know I can install this in a weekend. I'll also take install pics as I go using your instructions so it will hopefully benefit some one else who attempts to do this really kewl looking mod.

Once again, thanks to those who mentioned some mods I can start on my new 98'. I would love to post pics but don't have any or know yet how to put them in the posts so everyone can see them ( don't have a server to post them to) still trying to learn how to do that. Sooooooo here I go!

Nice find! I have really enjoyed mine. One of my best mods yet!

Originally Posted by saulgoode
This link should help out:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=roof+console

Nice find as well!

That's the correct link.

I installed one in my '02 4Runner: Write Up 1

Midiwall installed one in his '96 4Runner: Write Up 2

Soljah's installed one in his '99 4Runner: Write Up 3

I know of a few other members currently working on installing one of these units, but do not know their status. There maybe more threads on this than what I have listed above.

If you didn't already know, the FM was never a US option. However, it was offered on many Hilux Surfs else where around the globe.

I added everything to that link I could think of. It should answer any question you have. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 AM

I was pretty fortunate to 'stumble' across this. Here is the item number on eBay so you can see the pics of the unit. Yeah it is a way kewl unit indeed

Thanks for the input on the thread link, I will investigate it further. I will try to keep the thread posted on the progress once it gets here. Will be at least 2-3 weeks with the mail to New Zealand and back. Any more inputs or instructions are really appreciated, thanks guys
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
ritzy, you mind me asking how much you paid for it? and is that you on ebay right now as the high bidder on those clear jdm tails?
Yes tha tis me and I really want those as my 4runner is "Desert Dune", a metallic silver with a beige tint that really looks NICE! The clear lights will really set this off. Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

By the way, I've never seen any formal instructions on installing one of these units. I simply have gathered what other members learned along the way just by figuring it out.

These units were only offered on '97-'01 Surfs, but I was fortunate to install one on my '02 4Runner. A rare feat indeed! (Sorry, had to brag)

Looks like you're getting everything you need to make it work...temp sensor and all. It's cool to see more and more of these units popping up. Welcome to the club!

Can't wait to see the final unit installed. Be sure to document your install. When you're done, I'll be sure to add a link to your write up on my thread with the other 2 write ups already there. (Helps people gather info much quicker)

One day, I'll get around to adding a formal write up to the tech section...until then, you'll have to rely on each member's thread.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 05-31-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks Rock Slide, I will take many pics and make notes along the way. Your support is much appreciated. Only issue I can see is going to be getting all the sensors installed, don't have an FSM yet so it will be interesting to route these wires, but heck thats part of the fun!

Oh and while I'm thinking of it, your avatar, I have one for you as well as I am a single guy with two cats, both are female too, "Cats are just tiny women in cheap fur coats."
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Thanks Rock Slide, I will take many pics and make notes along the way. Your support is much appreciated. Only issue I can see is going to be getting all the sensors installed, don't have an FSM yet so it will be interesting to route these wires, but heck thats part of the fun!

Oh and while I'm thinking of it, your avatar, I have one for you as well as I am a single guy with two cats, both are female too, "Cats are just tiny women in cheap fur coats."
Great...can't wait to see them. Routing the wires isn't too bad. Fortunately, the only real sensor is the temp sensor. You'll just mount that one in the engine bay. The remaining wires just tap into some of your different factory wires.

Like your cat quote. I will say this, me and my wife have only been married 4yrs and have not had any children yet, but we have one male cat and refer to him as our kittyson.