Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The "Hidden" GPS Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
ok rock slide so do u think u could let me know how u did the hardwire to ur garmin? i was talking to a friend and he told me that i wouldnt be able to splice the two cables together and get the power source to work properly... i saw they have a hardwire kit on overstock but id like to save as much money if i dont need it.
This should answer your questions:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f97/...00-gps-210016/

If not, just ask.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thnx dude ill read it and see how it works... i just found out that i cant splice a set of gps cords together to make it longer. When i plug it in it shows the "connected to the computer" icon
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM

ok so i ended up testing my spliced wire and it worked this time and so i finished up the install and well hope u guys like the final product for now... might make some few changes but im really happy with how it is now.

Last edited by xskydivingdudex; 05-21-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Nice, looks like a clean install, good idea!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Not a bad idea. Personally, I would not mount my gps in the visor, but if it works out for you, that's all that matters. I agree though, the windshield mounts suck...that's eye candy for a theif.

I hardwired my nuvi 500 to turn on w/ the key and mounted it here. Visability is great for me and passengers. Plus it's out of the line of sight of passerbys:

I'm ordering one of those for my dad and his 4Runner for fathers day. I'm going to test fit it into my taco and if it fits I'll immediately order another one. Can't wait.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree with everybody else that window mounts suck.

i also think that you're going to hate that in not too long....

EVERYBODY out on the pipeline has theirs mounted on the windshield...and have had them there for years..and never been stole...but we work out in the middle of nowhere, and in and around small towns..
Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 AM

lol ya dude i figure if i get tired i can always just take it out and get a replacement visor from someone. I nvr had a problem with my first one being stolen for 4 years but u nvr know now and days... ppl are just out to make a buck whether its legitly or not.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM

so i just tested it on the way to work and everything seems to be in order and the view is pretty good... The signal is just as accurate as it on the windshield which was a major concern for me.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
EVERYBODY out on the pipeline has theirs mounted on the windshield...and have had them there for years..and never been stole...but we work out in the middle of nowhere, and in and around small towns..
In big cities you better carry a paper towel with you to wipe off the marks made by suction cups. If crackheads see the marks, they'll break your window to check if the GPS is in the glove box. Most of the time they find what they are looking for.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple of things related to the NUVI gps, first off, it will not be covered in your auto insurance unless you have a specific rider for it. If any items are not "factory installed" they will consider them portable which makes them fall under personal property and they are not covered. Found that one out the hard way when I had my truck broken into and they stole my amp, sub and my GPS.

Secondly, the Garmin Nuvi has a theft deterent feature called Gamin Lock. USE the Garmin Lock feature! Yeah its a brief pita when you turn it on but its only 4 numbers. If it gets stolen, unless they know your secret location they can never get it to work and Gamin will not under ANY circumstances unlock a NUVI unless you are the original owner, can prove you are the original owner and have documentation i.e. receipt and you registered it when you purchased it Additionally if it really is yours and you are the origianl purchaser, they will charge you $100 to unlock it as you have to send it to them. They actually replace the internal compnents that are used to activate the Garmin Lock. So some jerkoff stealing your GPS will get a surpize when he tries to use/sell it won't work!

Your install in the visor may qualify it as a "factory installed" item. I did get reimbursed for the damage they did to my Pioneer DVD radio as it resides in the factory location for the radio. With what they did to the stereo and the work I did to repair everything, I had enough to purchase a better sub and amp and picked up another NUVI. I got the 780 this time, it is really slick Also the 7 series has the ability to use an FM transmitter so your GPS voice turn by turn can be heard over your stereo system speakers!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM

nice job. really clean look.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Couple of things related to the NUVI gps, first off, it will not be covered in your auto insurance unless you have a specific rider for it. If any items are not "factory installed" they will consider them portable which makes them fall under personal property and they are not covered.

Homeowners insurance

Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah you go ahead and file that claim with the normal deductable that goes with a homeowners policy then watch what happens to your rates
Old 05-22-2010, 10:40 PM

I don't pay any part of the homeowners insurance.
If I was in your sitch, worse come to worse my parents might replace my GPS. Not my Sub/ amp though..

Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
ok so i ended up testing my spliced wire and it worked this time and so i finished up the install and well hope u guys like the final product for now... might make some few changes but im really happy with how it is now.
Install looks good. Hope it works out for you.

Originally Posted by scuba
I'm ordering one of those for my dad and his 4Runner for fathers day. I'm going to test fit it into my taco and if it fits I'll immediately order another one. Can't wait.

Good deal.

FYI, the mounts are vehicle specific. The Tundra mount is a different part# from the Taco mounts, thus the Tundra mount might not fit your Taco...in that case, you'd need to order a Taco mount too.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 AM

ya ritzy u can claim homeowners but my parents didnt want to do that so i had to re-purchase everything but actually it wasnt that bad since i got my replacement GPS from my cousin, my ipod nano from my mom, my subs from my friend, and a whole new set of tools for free. All i had to buy was the radar and amp which i got them for cheap on CL... The thing best is that everything is now better then wat i originally had.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 AM

Don't forget to take down your radar skydiving dude. My first passport got stolen and ever since then i take it down whenever I'm not in the truck. Maybe you could come up with an idea for that similar to your Garmin.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Good deal.

FYI, the mounts are vehicle specific. The Tundra mount is a different part# from the Taco mounts, thus the Tundra mount might not fit your Taco...in that case, you'd need to order a Taco mount too.
Somehow I missed the Taco mount

Looks like I'll just be ordering what I need for mine AND what he needs for his. Cant wait.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 AM

Not a bad idea. Personally, I would not mount my gps in the visor, but if it works out for you, that's all that matters. I agree though, the windshield mounts suck...that's eye candy for a theif.

I hardwired my nuvi 500 to turn on w/ the key and mounted it here. Visability is great for me and passengers. Plus it's out of the line of sight of passerbys:

Thats a nice clean install. Where did you get that mounting system?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yorkie
Thats a nice clean install. Where did you get that mounting system?
Thanks. It's a ProFit VSM.

More info can be found here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f97/...00-gps-210016/

Quick Reply: The "Hidden" GPS Mod