Herculined a few things today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebelen1 im pmd you
Old 04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work Ryan! Looks good (and very unique on your truck's rocker panels).

My Herculiner thread can be found here.

I would like to remind you guys to please get a good respirator for this! Lowe's sells one that works pretty well for $27. Think about it. It just makes sense. Not worth breathing this crap in if you ask me.

So far my front and rear bumpers have been done in addition to my fender trim (just the metal part).
Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Marc - can't wait to scratch it up this weekend

I'm pretty sure that it will stick pretty well. You just have to sand it good (I used 60 grit) and then remove all the paint dust with a rag and the Xylol. I think it will stick to the fender flares good because the sandpaper bit into it really good.

Edit: My fender flares are the stock, plain plastic ones

Last edited by Tanto; 04-16-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Looks Ruggade!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:49 AM

Looks very nice.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent Ryan! Once I absorb the cost of my new wheels, this is gonna be my next mod. Looks AMAZING!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

It'll look real purdy with your silver paint job, CJ. 2" painters tape is the way to go IMHO. 2 rolls of the stuff will allow you to accomplish everything I did.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

How durable do you honestly think that stuff is? I'm really interested in doing it, but I don't want to get rid of my lay-in bed liner if that stuff is just going to chip up the first time I haul anything more than a rope. BTW the rocker panels look SWEET. If I did mine, I'd probably have to get black rims.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bassinfool
How durable do you honestly think that stuff is? I'm really interested in doing it, but I don't want to get rid of my lay-in bed liner if that stuff is just going to chip up the first time I haul anything more than a rope. BTW the rocker panels look SWEET. If I did mine, I'd probably have to get black rims.
For areas where not a lot of direct (heavy) contact is going to occur, this stuff will work fine. Let's put it this way: I got some on my driveway somehow and I had to hammer at it with a scraper just to get the raised portion off. The "base" is still there!

The problem with doing the bed of a truck is if it does turn out to be a big nightmare (and had to get removed in order to put something else in) it is going to be $$. How do I know? Well, I used to have to strip these types of liners out of trucks when I worked at Rhino Linings. Let me tell you something, it wasn't fun. It would take me 4 hours to get it all removed (peeled) from a small-sized truck.

So, I would wait until we get some reports of bumper smashing/rock rash before I put it in the bed of my truck; but that's just me.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Good to know! Thanks. I was just thinking, what if you did a third or fourth coat? Would that be worth the extra $25 (three coats) to $50 (four coats)?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow... i think i should remove my black hard plastic bedliner and 'herculiner' the bed and bedrails also (to mask all the scratches the hard plastic made on the outside edge of the rail). Me too, me too!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bassinfool
Good to know! Thanks. I was just thinking, what if you did a third or fourth coat? Would that be worth the extra $25 (three coats) to $50 (four coats)?
Technically that would just create "layers" of coating. I saw this many a time when I had to rip them out. One layer would pull off, then, low and behold, there was a second layer! I sometimes had to grind the base off or down with a fiber cup brush or two. The superiority of something like Rhino is that you get one massive layer "welded" together. However, that ends up being $400+. So, again, it really depends on what you guys need it for. Keep in mind that this stuff seems to dry pretty hard as well. Combine that with a textured surface, and you have a recipe for a very slick surface - especially when wet.

Again, I am not hating on the stuff for the beds of trucks, but given my professional sprayed-on bedliner experience, I should at least mention the things I saw.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

the purpose of my herculiner is simple:

1)looks good, in my opinion, great
2)keeps scratches from tree branches/tiny little cars and whatever else may grace the 4runner invisible

i have no knowledge of bedliner what so ever. but in my opinion, i dont think a $33 dollar can of bedliner is going to last like you want. love the stuff (herculiner), but i dont want to be associated with recomending it for truck bed's. just clearing that up. i highly suggest it for areas that wont be getting hard use everyday.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

I rarely haul things in my bed so I saw Herculiner as an appropriate use. If I did use my bed a lot, I would have LineX'd it.

BTW I only use my bed to haul camping gear and a cooler.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like herculiner is your best bet.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

After a lot of wheeling since I put the Herculiner on my rocker panels, I've noticed 2 things:

1) Sand eats Herculiner alive
2) If anything rubs hard on them, the Herculiner PEELS

Solution: Line-X

I admit that after I initially put it on, it looked hot; after a couple wheeling trips - not so good. I got really crappy edges w/Herculiner that lifted away when I removed the tape because the directions said to put 2 coats on with about a 4 hr difference in between coats. Pressure washing nibbled at the edges even more.

Oh, and the Herculiner does not stick very well at all to the hard plastic on the fender flares so that will be removed and armorall applied to hide the scratches I put in there.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the update Ryan. I appreciate it, as I was getting close to doing this myself. I may just save up for the Line-X now.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

I'll take a couple shots (including closeups) of the edging I was talking about before I get the Line-X done and then after the Line-X is put on. I think that it's just real noticeable with a white truck (so prob similar with your silver, CJ). I talked to a place near me that offered $150 per side for my rocker panels. $485 for an over-the-rail application for the bed so I'm going to get the rocker panels done first, wait a month, then get the bed done.

Now I'm glad that I hung on to that large tin of Xylol I bought.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Mmmmm... Herculiner...

You didn't get any on your hootus, did you?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
Mmmmm... Herculiner...

You didn't get any on your hootus, did you?
No, thank gawd

Quick Reply: Herculined a few things today...