Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP WAAG brushguard/bugshield combo? NEED HELP!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP WAAG brushguard/bugshield combo? NEED HELP!!!

Well, first off, I want to say hi to all as this is my first post and say that I love the site AND the members here are VERY nice and helpful from what I've read so far.

Anyway, I bought a WAAG brushguard a month ago (used) for my 1997 4runner and the install was straightforward and pretty simple. My wife also wanted to put a bug shield on it as well and after searching, I found a killer deal at Kragen for a new bugshield (AVS or ventshade) for $30.00, so I bought it. well, after installing the bugshield, I couldn't close the hood! The shield was designed to stick out pretty far past the front of the hood. The shield was hitting the top bar on the brushguard!

I have seen bugshields and brushguards together on other 4runners, but what combo/brands are being used? Please help! And thanks in advance!

Last edited by dirtyrice; 01-01-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

not 100% sure of the WAAG guard but the one that i used to have had an adjustment to pull it forward a bit. you could always drill the holes a 1/2 or so to allow it to duck a bit further, just put more of the bumpstops to keep it from rubbing. i had to play with mine for a bit when installing it. i put to sockets of the same size in front of the shield and center of hood the tightened the guard and pulled the sockets (spacers) out and was GTG
Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about what brands or anything, but do you remember if there are any slots instead of holes for the brushguard mounts, any way to adjust it at all?

how close is the interference? you might be able to just cut holes in the bug guard with a dremel or something, you could probably look into just getting another bug guard that sits closer to the hood
Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Thank you both for the quick replies!

The bug guard/shield was hanging over about an inch, meaning it needed to go in at least that far to clear the top bar on the brush guard. I don't have any adjustment front to rear for the brushguard, only side to side. As far as the bug guard, I didn't want to drill new holes into it and not be able to take it back if I screwed it up. It doesn't have any room for that anyway, as the recess for the lip of the hood will not allow any front to back adjustment. I will just keep looking for the right one, I guess. I know they are out there! LOL.

Thanks again for the quick responses! This place is great!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there should be no problems at all????????????? so im confused. i had a bushgaurd with a bugshield. but it as a custom made brush guard and a factory bug shield.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
belize, there are too many variables in play, two different manufacturers of two different products, your bug shield was factory, and the grill guard some other brand, and dirtyrice's brush guard and bug shield are two different brands also,

dirtyrice: does it look like there is any room to move the bug guard back closer to the hood? I am asking because if there isn't any room, then there might notbe a solution other than getting some type of spacer for your brush guard or somthing like that, because even if you find one that is closer to the hood, it might not fit,

you might just have to go shopping around for bug shields and take the one that doesn't fit in the store for refence, alot of places carry them, walmart, any auto parts store, outdoor stores (gi-joe's or cabella's type stores) you just might not get a "screamin deal"like before
Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 AM

^^^Yeah, very well put, B. Miller. I don't have any room for adjustment on the bugshield. No biggie though. I BARELY have enough room to get my hand in to open the hood now, so with a guard on there, it will be even worse...BEsides, I'm looking at a starter, timing belt, warerpupm replacement right now... The bug shield can wait a little bit longer.

Thank you ALL for the help and responses!