Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP! trans oil in my radiator..

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! trans oil in my radiator..

Hi everyone!
I have owned 5 Toyota 4runners yes I love them but I bought one about a month ago which is a 1999 4runner limited 4x4 Automatic trans.. They guy I bought it off of pulled a fast one on me, I found out he sold me a 4runner that the org owner sold to a junk yard.. long story but I really got took BAD! It runs & drives like new but it turns out the miles had been messed with. When I bought the 4runner it looked pretty good but I had some paint and touch up work done on it, such as all the trim and the bumpers painted, now it look beautiful but I opened up the radiator cap and found Transmission oil in it as well as is my res a vor tank. Not am I super pissed off but I cant seem to find the guy who sold it to me and if I can is there anything I can do? He had the miles turned back or put a different cluster in it. instead of having 98,000 miles its last carfax reported 197,000 miles and they bought it from the junk yard because the previous owner was told the trans and motor was shot.. This might explain why it had a brand new radiator in it when I bought it.. I pulled off the Radiator cap last week and found it to be milky looking as well as the trans fluid.. Does anyone know what caused this? My buddy who knows Toyotas very well told me this has happen to him and he had to flush out the radiator and trans with water and Dawn dish soap about 4 times before it came out clean.. I am on my 2nd flush and is still milky or oil and water still in the system. Has this ever happen to anyone else?? Also am I doing the right thing and what would have caused my trans oil to get in the radiator to begin with? The truck runs great and you would never know it had this issue or this many miles, it drives like new!! Im sick because I got burned and I put a lot of money in the paint and body work.. I don't know what I can do?? Thanks to all of you in advance, DAg35man

Last edited by DAg35man164; 05-23-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The radiator has a transmission cooler piggy backed into the lower radiator the area where they meet tends to fail .

Now who knows just what has been done did the old radiator fail and they did a poor job flushing the system.

Has the one that looks new failed??

What does the transmission fluid look like??

Antifreeze and any oil don`t mix It does cause a very thick milk shake like slop.

Is yours that way??

Then maybe just lots of condensation .

Then it is possible Carfax made a typo as well who can really tell .

Did not your checking of the vehicle before reaching for your check book find any of these issues ??

Things were good upon the initial inspection you drove it for a month and problems started.

It happens I know I took the bait hook line and sinker a few times some lessons are expensive.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pull the radiator and take to a shop to be boiled out and pressure tested.

Drop the transmission pan and change the fluid. Use compressed air to blow out the lines.
replace fluid & radiater and take a long road trip, getting it good & hot.
Repeat changing trans fluid until it looks right, and pray no great damage was done.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:54 PM

99 toyota 4runner limited 4x4 Auto( h20 & trans oil in my Radiator!!!

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The radiator has a transmission cooler piggy backed into the lower radiator the area where they meet tends to fail .

Now who knows just what has been done did the old radiator fail and they did a poor job flushing the system.

Antifreeze and any oil don`t mix It does cause a very thick milk shake like slop.

Is yours that way??

Did not your checking of the vehicle before reaching for your check book find any of these issues ??

Things were good upon the initial inspection you drove it for a month and problems started.

It happens I know I took the bait hook line and sinker a few times some lessons are expensive.
Very expensive lesson my friend!!!
well my friend I bought the truck and my mind was not right because I found out my brother had lymphnoma cancer so I was in a hurry when I bought it and did not do my normal INSPECTION like I always do when I Buy any truck or car.. The 4runner ran fine and drove great and never over heated, I seen the new Radiator I asked the guy why did you put a new one in or what was the cause and he claimed he hit it with a screw driver.. YEAH OK! anyways I drove it after I spent $1200 getting the bumpers painted and all the body trim and moldings.. so my body guy had it for almost 3 weeks because he gave me a great deal I did not want to be picky because he ended up doing about $2500 dollars worth of work on it for me, he not only painted all the trim he also ended up fixing some door dings and painting them as well and wet sanded down the whole 4runner and buffed it out.. so it look AMAZING! So I picked it up and drove it for about 5 days and something told me to check the fluids because my radiator (Res a vor) was empty so I pulled the hose out of it and about had a heart attack... It looked like thick goopy strawberry milkshake, so the next step was to open the Radiator cap it also looked like a milk shake... I called my Body guy who's a great friend and he told me to calm down, will get it taken care of... He said this has happened to his Toyota tundra and one of his 4runners and not to worry will get it straighten out.. Today we did the 2nd Radiator flush with water and Dawn soap.. pulled both trans lines with it running of course and got at least 4 quarts of the milky strawberry trans fluid out of it.. I added 4 quarts of trans fluid to it and he said drive it another 150 miles and will do it again until we get it all out.. I will say this 2nd flush we did today it looked better already so I guess my friend knows what he talking about, he one of those old school Gear heads but know His Toyotas inside & out so im going to give it another 150 miles and flush it again and pray it gets better.. I asked him If I needed to pull the trans cover and he told me NO give this a few more treatments of water and good ole Dawn dish soap and we will give it a few more flushes, he said after about the 4th or 5th flush of both the Radiator and the trans that everything should be just fine.. So far its working because the color was much better on my 2nd flush today.. Yes my friends a HUGE lesson I have learned and I know my 4runners but I need to slow down next time and take the time to do my NORMAL checks like I always do when I buy a 4runner or any other car.. I did notice this guy was in a big hurry and was kind of pushy, "I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT AS A HINT RIGHT THERE" Well I guess I will keep flushing and I will keep in touch to see if it works till all fluids are CLEAN but its looking Positive so far thank GOD!!
Thank all of you for any help and im so glad I found this site because I LOVE my Toyota 4runners & Trucks!! Wish me luck everyone..
Thank you very much my friend!!
Mickey... aka... Dag35man164

Last edited by DAg35man164; 05-24-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM

-water & trans fluid in Radiator-Very expensive lesson my friend!!!

99 toyota 4runner limited 4x4 Auto( h20 & trans oil in my Radiator!!!
Quote:

Is yours that way??

Very expensive lesson my friend!!!
well my friend I bought the truck and my mind was not right because I found out my brother had lymphnoma cancer so I was in a hurry when I bought it and did not do my normal INSPECTION like I always do when I Buy any truck or car.. The 4runner ran fine and drove great and never over heated, I seen the new Radiator I asked the guy why did you put a new one in or what was the cause and he claimed he hit it with a screw driver.. YEAH OK! anyways I drove it after I spent $1200 getting the bumpers painted and all the body trim and moldings.. so my body guy had it for almost 3 weeks because he gave me a great deal I did not want to be picky because he ended up doing about $2500 dollars worth of work on it for me, he not only painted all the trim he also ended up fixing some door dings and painting them as well and wet sanded down the whole 4runner and buffed it out.. so it look AMAZING! So I picked it up and drove it for about 5 days and something told me to check the fluids because my radiator (Res a vor) was empty so I pulled the hose out of it and about had a heart attack... It looked like thick goopy strawberry milkshake, so the next step was to open the Radiator cap it also looked like a milk shake... I called my Body guy who's a great friend and he told me to calm down, will get it taken care of... He said this has happened to his Toyota tundra and one of his 4runners and not to worry will get it straighten out.. Today we did the 2nd Radiator flush with water and Dawn soap.. pulled both trans lines with it running of course and got at least 4 quarts of the milky strawberry trans fluid out of it.. I added 4 quarts of trans fluid to it and he said drive it another 150 miles and will do it again until we get it all out.. I will say this 2nd flush we did today it looked better already so I guess my friend knows what he talking about, he one of those old school Gear heads but know His Toyotas inside & out so im going to give it another 150 miles and flush it again and pray it gets better.. I asked him If I needed to pull the trans cover and he told me NO give this a few more treatments of water and good ole Dawn dish soap and we will give it a few more flushes, he said after about the 4th or 5th flush of both the Radiator and the trans that everything should be just fine.. So far its working because the color was much better on my 2nd flush today.. Yes my friends a HUGE lesson I have learned and I know my 4runners but I need to slow down next time and take the time to do my NORMAL checks like I always do when I buy a 4runner or any other car.. I did notice this guy was in a big hurry and was kind of pushy, "I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT AS A HINT RIGHT THERE" Well I guess I will keep flushing and I will keep in touch to see if it works till all fluids are CLEAN but its looking Positive so far thank GOD!!
Thank all of you for any help and im so glad I found this site because I LOVE my Toyota 4runners & Trucks!! Wish me luck everyone..
Thank you very much my friend!!
Mickey... aka... Dag35man164 05-24-2015 09:17 AMskypilot Pull the radiator and take to a shop to be boiled out and pressure tested.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:06 PM

Im am still learning how the site works but I would like to thank all of you who gave me your input and advice on my 1999 Toyota 4runner Limited 4x4, 3.4 v-6 Automatic.. If anyone else has a different idea plz I am open to any help or advice..
Thank to all again!!
DAg35man164
Old 05-24-2015, 11:51 PM

Red face

The next thing I would do is get a after market transmission cooler get the transmission fluid away from the coolant .

Thing is how you were lucky enough not to take out the transmission or have the engine over heat to the point of a head gasket failure.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 AM

Coolent & trans oil in radiator

The next thing I would do is get a after market transmission cooler get the transmission fluid away from the coolant .

Thing is how you were lucky enough not to take out the transmission or have the engine over heat to the point of a head gasket failure.

I was thinking of that but I have never put one in.. I am going to take it to my family mechanic and ask him to put one in for me...

Would you know about what it would cost and is it something I could do at home?? I am not a Mechanic but I do know how to work on cars & trucks..

Thanks for the help my friend!!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 AM

Red face

I am not a big Auto Trans person But I have installed a few over the years .

Most on Ford and Chevy trucks use for pulling trailers.

No big deal mount the cooler connect the lines.

I am pretty sure you can buy a complete kit getting every thing you need.

Like anything else the fancier it is built the more it will cost.

Just a fast look between $ 50.00 to over $150.00 just depends on the bells and whistles .

I would not say it is a very technical job but things can and will go wrong at times.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I wish you luck trying to survive a milkshake. Not many people do. I tried to follow along with your remedy as best I could (formatting into paragraphs helps reading)

Did you flush the trans with Dawn and water? Or just the rad?

If you flushed the trans... I would start searching for a replacement.

Where are you? What state more specifically? You may be able to contact your state's attorney generals office and see if they will file charges against the seller. Or mandate compensation. Even if it was private sale, you may have a leg to stand on if the advertising shows lower miles than the car truly has. Private sellers still have to be legitimate in their business practices.

Also if the original owner sold it to a junkyard, it may have had a salvage certificate issued or other title branding. Again if the seller did not adequately disclose that information they are liable.

Have a toyota dealership run the VIN. The original owner may have had recall or service work done with mileage documentation.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 PM

i put an aftermarket trans cooler on my dodge. its super easy. i bought the 35$ dollar cooler and it was easy to install. got it from rockauto.com