Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP...Engine Problems=Big Money

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP...Engine Problems=Big Money

The problems all started about 3 weeks ago when I brought my 98 2wd 4runner to the stealership to have the rotors resurfaced. While at the stealership they were courteous enough to check my engine for any problems. I then recieved a phone call from them saying that I need new valve gaskets because one was leaking. So I gave them the OK. I then recieved another phone call and they told me that the oil must have not been changed by the previous owner because the engine was full of sludge and unless i didnt do anything soon, the engine may blow up.

So what should I do?
1.)Pour engine restorer/cleaner into the oil
2.)Spend $500 for a complete engine clean from a trusted, local mechanic.
3.)Get new engine.

Right now I think the best thing is to go ahead with the cleaning from the mechanic just so I have no further problems. But just thought it would be best to get opinions from yotatech first.

Any advice would be great. Thank You
Old 12-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Take it one step at a time. Get the valve cover gaskets done, get the rig back, and verify the sludge problem. Check under the oil fill cap for sludge. If you have a sludge problem, you will most likely find it there.

Take it slow. Don't get all caught up in the Stealer hype.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM

What about that Seafoam stuff that people talked about on here a few months ago? You should look into throwing some of that in.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:52 PM

Post take it slow

They are just getting you all worked up. Do not Pour engine restorer/cleaner into the oil it will only clean the sludge off of you valve cover and head and run it through the motor until it clogs your oil filter. It has to go somewhere. All that sludge will ruin all of your bearings. Have them replace your valve gaskets and when you get it back, take the valve cover off and inspect the area. If it looks dirty don’t stir it up, change your oil and filter and do regular maintenance. You could have the motor cleaned but it may not be worth it the crap is already finding a low spot to just sit. Have you ever looked under a valve cover on an old truck there is usually a lot of crap there.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:22 AM

Yeah,what he said ! I bought an old prelude that was full of sludge.I tried cleaning it out,but to do it right would mean complete disassembly.Just change you oil frequently to get an idea of how dirty it is coming out.When it starts coming out relatively clean,increase your oil change intervals back to normal (3,000 miles).
Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neil_P_smith
Have them replace your valve gaskets and when you get it back, take the valve cover off and inspect the area.
Only problem with that is that you sometimes have to replace the valve cover gaskets after you remove them. So he might have to replace them again. Not likely, but just a thought...
Old 12-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
What about that Seafoam stuff that people talked about on here a few months ago? You should look into throwing some of that in.
I have heard from the MR2 forums that if the engine has a lot of sludge in it, then seafoam may clog the oil pump...
Old 12-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Did you notice any symptoms indicative of any kind of engine problems?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about running the Mobil "Drive Clean" oil for the next series of oil changes. I would think that might do a fair job of cleaning some of the deposits. I don't think the chemical they use in the oil would be as strong as a motor flush chemical.
Take a look here http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...eBenefitsTitle

Any thoughts.

Last edited by PirateFins; 12-02-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
Did you notice any symptoms indicative of any kind of engine problems?
Chris (2runner) told me his 4runner has been stalling a bunch at red lights.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious . . . how much for them to replace the valve cover gaskets? I need to start thinking about doing that.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 AM

if there is a sludge problem, I'd run some auto-rx in it. it cleans all the junk out. http://www.auto-rx.com/

try posting over at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com if you have any questions about auto-rx or engine oil, they really know their stuff.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks for all of your replies and suggestions.

Like MeLlamoPound said, the only problem that I have had that may relate to the sludge in the engine is the car stalling sometimes when sitting at a red light.

Still not sure which route I am going to take. I am leaning towards changing my oil sooner than normal and trying some different types of oil like the auto-rx.

Just curious . . . how much for them to replace the valve cover gaskets? I need to start thinking about doing that.
The Valve gaskets cost around $300 to do at the stealership.

Thanks again, Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Definitely verify the sludge yourself, dont go just by what the dealer says. There may be sludge there, but it may not be as urgent and/or as bad as they say. MOST dealers are just looking to make a profit, they generally do pretty good work but they are always looking for a way to make money. Half of the stuff that my dealer finds they just say, well, to be honest with you this is probably something that I would never really worry about, but thats because I'm good friends with everybody at the dealer so they just give it to me like it is.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, take it to a trusted local mechanic that you either know or have heard good things about/used before and get a second opinion and suggestions.

Something that has the potential to be as serious as this is definitely deserves a second opinion...atleast in MY opinion.

Fink
Old 12-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

I am in the rinse phase of Auto RX. Only thing I noticed was a "piece" of tarnish that is now missing from the baffle plate when you first look in to the valve cover (after removing the oil fill cap). I guess that is good

Other than that, no change (performance or mpg).
Old 12-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Relax on the Stealer crapola.....they are just trying to wring money out of you with the old fear tactic. Sadly it is very effective and many buy into it. Just because you have sludge in your engine does not mean the engine is going south at all. I wouldn't do anything more drastic than just changing the oil a little more frequently for a few times (say every 2k miles) to give the engine a chance to scrub itself clean gradually (oil has a detergent in it to help prevent this buildup). Then after 3-4 oil changes I would use a cleaner like Seafoam or Auto-Rx. Then just keep up with the regular maintenance after that.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:12 PM

Ok all that oil sludge cleaner stuff is bad imo because the sludge has to go somewhere and if it isn’t on the valves then where is it. Running in with your oil witch lubricates your bearings that can’t be good. My dad ran some thing like that in his truck and in 5k miles we were putting in new rod and main bearings. I don’t know if it was the cause but it couldn’t have helped.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:19 PM

What about if you put some engine cleaner stuff in right before you do your oil change. That way it just loosens things up, then you drain it all. Would that work?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Auto RX has specific instructions that you have to follow. The instructions differ based on whether or not you are under or over 100K miles. I don't know about the other engine cleaners...
Old 12-03-2004, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
What about if you put some engine cleaner stuff in right before you do your oil change. That way it just loosens things up, then you drain it all. Would that work?
I would worry that it might loosen too much too quickly and block oil passages as was mentioned. If it still runs I think a more gradual approach would be the better solution than the quick fix IMHO.

Quick Reply: HELP...Engine Problems=Big Money