Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!!

Ok, here is the deal. I know most of ya'll hate jeeps, and I know many people ask about Jeep vs. Toyota, so I need your help. I am still searching for the perfect daily driver/off-roader SUV and I was pretty set on getting a 4runner, but lately I am drifting back to a jeep. Its really hard to find a 4runner in my price range, and jeeps like this one http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=15 are not only in my range, but include tons of mods and have very low miles! So can ya'll please drill into my head to stay with looking for a 4runner, before I get myself too caught up in Jeeps again. Or would this be a good ride for a college student like me? See there I go again. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:02 PM

so if someone were to ask you

"Daaaamn, what did you do to your Jeep?"

your answer would be "Nothing, it came this way".................. *BORING!!*

with that amount of money, you can easily get a 2nd gen and build it up, or get an older 3rd gen and build it slowly.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Toyota's will last longer, they will do better off-road, they look better, they drive better...and hello? YOTATECH!! You will not be allowed on here if you own a Jeep!!!

There is a lot more but I will leave some of the Jeep bashing fun to the rest of the fellas on here!

Fink
Old 12-08-2003, 07:05 PM

hey, thanks for the input so far! And just incase some smartass wants to tell me to use the search button, I did!!! MANY TIMES!! I found tons of great info from it like this page https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...er+vs+wrangler but i just needed more. THanks again.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:11 PM

stick with a yota like the others said for that price you could build a yota up and they look better. Also they will last longer, and hey everyone and their dog has a lifted jeep so the ladies will be like hey you got a jeep ya rite. Plus jeeps are like hell inside they are noisy small(even smaller than a yota) and did i say that everyone has em.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

I absolutely hate my Jeep TJ. Its a ÅÅÅÅing death trap. Its loud, slow, and eats more gas than my 4Runner did (AND I HAVE THE 4BANGER!). It drives like absolute ˟˟˟˟...hit a bump on a turn and you can wind up 2 lanes over. I feel like Im gonna roll it constantly and its lower to the ground than my Fiancee's civic. You cant put anything valuable in it w/o constantly worrying that they are going to get stolen. Putting someone in the back seat is an absolute PITA. Its horrible on dates because you cant hear the other person talking do to loud loud engine. I thought I liked it...well then I drove it for a week. I hate it! I will never buy one...give me a 4Runner over a TJ any day!

Bottom line though, they are cheap and easy to lift. Very capable when equiped off-road vehicles. You can replace any part in under 30 mins. And all the girls will want your hot bod when you have the top down and rolling on 38's.

Ohh and hey...if you want a TJ, Ill sell you mine. Only 44k and in great shape 7K.

EDIT: Through in another 4k and Ill make it tear that autotrader TJ apart.

Last edited by PoBoy; 12-08-2003 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Banned

I have less into my Runner and 80 shortbed than most jeep owners have into the front axle. No offense, jeeps are ok... and they do well off road. But the quality and reliability in a toyota can't be beat. Granted there are a few lemons, lets admit it, in any car line. Though I haven't seen many toys inflicted w/ lemon disease. What year runner were you considering? What kind of jeep are you comparing it too? Weigh them out...
Old 12-08-2003, 07:27 PM

this is doing great! After reading things like this it makes me hate jeeps I guess I will have to stay with a yota. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by flecker
What year runner were you considering? What kind of jeep are you comparing it too? Weigh them out...
a 3rd gen, and comparing it to a jeep wrangler (TJ).
Old 12-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Banned

Aw man! No comparison.... Runner= Roomier interior, mo power, mo comfortable, better driving, better handling, very capable off road vehicle in general and just plain better looking!
Jeep= not much room, less power, (trust me) not near as comfortable, not as good a driver (leaf spring front), not as good handling (same reason as before), It is a better offroad vehicle... with alot of money dumped into it and IMHO not nearly as good looking.

Anyone see anything I left out?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 AM

i would agree with some of the other people here speaking from experience (i had an 89 wrangler ) and my bigest and most frequent problem was interior space there is literally no way to haul all your gear inside the vehicle i would invariably end up tyeing all my stuff all around the outside of it and i looked like a gypsy wagon! (no insult intended to all you gypsy's out there)
go with the 4 runner
Old 12-09-2003, 11:48 AM

toyotas will also hold their residual resale value for much, much longer. if youre not planning on selling it, then it doesnt matter. but if something were to happen and an insurance company declared it a total loss, you'd end up with more money in your pocket after the payoff. also, you mentioned you were a college student, as am i, and i can assure you, everytime my buddies and i go out, his '99 wrangler gets left in the parking lot. kind of hard to pick up chicks when all your seats are already full!