Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help...2000 Auto Climate Control Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some models had auto headlights so the sensor would turn your headlights on and off. I was also told once that it has something to do with the defrost.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 AM

I've had the same problem...I finally took my control panel out and cleaned the switches. It fixed it for about a day, then went back to me having to push the auto button really hard to get it to turn on. I'm gonna pull it out again and take the control apart and clean it really well.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MadCityRich
Why does the 4Runner need to know if it's sunny out?

MadCityRich
it needs to know if the sun it out. even in the dead of winter the sun can heat
up the car pretty well. it helps the computer figure out how to run it's blowers and cooling/heating routine better

this is for the automagic climate control.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 AM

My 2000 started doing this same thing a few weeks ago after I replaced the lights on the circuit board. Randomly the buttons would not work and pressing them harder had no effect.

I took the whole thing apart last night again and cleaned both circuit boards, the wire that connects the two boards, the plug on the back, and the harness under the dash. I cleaned them with electrical degreaser which comes in an aeresol spray. Just spray it and let it dissolve the dirt as it drys.

Everything works great now. We'll see if it stays that way. Some of you might want to try this. It only takes a few minutes to do.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Who manufactures the electrical degreaser? Where did you buy it?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by hurricanes99
Who manufactures the electrical degreaser? Where did you buy it?

Thanks.
Radioshack, autozone, walmart.....etc etc
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM

I got mine at lowes. That only fixed the issue for a day and has gotten worse now. I've taken it apart again and cleaned everything again with no luck.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
I get code 14 when it is dark out. 14 is solar sensor. when sun is out, no codes.
Does anybody know where I could find a list of climate control codes for this system?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:20 PM

techinfo.toyota.com
Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM

techinfo.toyota.com
Do you have a list of the codes, or know of any place that I can find them without subscribing to a service?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Does anyone have the Toyota part # for the digital climate control panel? I'm about fed up with mine, I have to mash on the buttons to get it to do what I want. I'm going to try cleaing it out real good one more time tonight...disassemble it and all. If it fails again, I'm just going to order a new one.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM

I'm having the same issue. Cleaned mine out about a month ago with electrical contact cleaner and shimmed the buttons with electrical tape. Did a test of the buttons before putting everything back together, everything worked. Put everything back, Auto and the Off button doesn't work. This thing is *#@!*%$ with me. Now the re-circulate button and outside temp button are acting up and the mode button needs all of my 210#s of body weight into it to change the damn thing.
Anyone have any updates. Might just need to spring for a new control.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM

techinfo.toyota.com
Could you tell me what is listed for codes 06 and 21?

Thanks!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Cabin temp sensor location

On my '00 Limited Runner, the cabin temp sensor is located in the dash trim below the steering column, right about the spot where your right knee would be when driving. There are several small slots cut in the dash panel and the sensor is right behind there. They will get dirty and clean up is easy. Remove the four 6mm bolts that hold the dash panel on, disconnect the hood release and fuel door latches from the panel (two screws each), pull off the panel remove the sensor (has a small hose and wires attached to it), carefully blow it out with compressed air and or electrical cleaner. Should be good to go. Be carefu as this is a fragile electrical component. HTH
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by 98srx6
Could you tell me what is listed for codes 06 and 21?

Thanks!!
thems are servo codes. you got issues which require digging in behind the dash.

get ready to pull whole dashboard assembly off if you want to fix.

10 bux go to techinfo.toyota.com

I mean seriously pay 10 bucks get all the info. 10 bucks. for crying out loud
Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 AM

I've been searching for more info on the Net and can't find any info regarding a fix for this.

Two patterns I noticed with the limted info I found were:

-A bulb(s) went out about the same time the buttons started acting up.

-Regardless of what temp you set the control at, it blows in warm air.

I have both these issues. I believe the bulbs on the left (driver) side are out and I noticed even on cold days when I set the temp to 66/Cold, it still blows in warm air. It's been better lately, but not sure if it's due to the colder days.

I'd like to know if any of you have these symptoms. This could be another step in finding a solution if everyone having control problems are experiencing these traits.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Husker_Runner
Two patterns I noticed with the limted info I found were:

-A bulb(s) went out about the same time the buttons started acting up.
This is exactly what happened with mine. I replaced the bulbs and a couple days later the buttons stopped working. The air still functions perfectly as I can control air temp and fan speed with the knobs, but thats it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

OSU4Runner - you find the part # and/or find the part? I'm considering just replacing mine as well eventually. Other than the dealership, you know where to pick up one up without getting bent over?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 AM

55910‑35231 is the part number. It is $634 from 1st toyota parts. They are very hard to find used. I have been looking almost daily for over a month now and have not seen any come up. The only one I did find awhile ago was $300 used with no warranty and I wasn't willing to do that for almost half the price of a new one.

Your theory about the bulbs is an interesting one. I'm wondering if it was something that happens when you take apart the assembly. The only thing I can think of the white electrical wire that attaches the two circuit boards since you remove it to get to the lights. I just don't know why the knobs would continue to work, but not the buttons.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the # ryan12321. My control won't shut off now, but the fan, A/C and defrost buttons have been working flawlessly since the contact cleaner "solution" so I might just live with this as I get heat, A/C, and defrost for that kind of $.
There isn't much info on this issue anywhere. I'm still trying to figure out if it's an electrical or mechanical issue. When and how you press a button is so random that you can't pinpoint it.

The right (pass.) buttons all seem to work except for Off button. The bulbs on that side are still working.
My Auto and circulate don't work, my Temp and Mode buttons work if pressed hard and these are the buttons on the driver side and middle of the control layout. The bulbs are out on this side. A few others on various forums stated their lights were out as well. So I thought I'd throw that out and see if others have the same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Help...2000 Auto Climate Control Troubles