Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket replacement

I searched quite a bit and didn't find much info I was looking for. Apologies in advance if this is a redundant post.

My '02 4Runner 3.4 is bone stock and just hit 193K. I recently started getting a random misfire and after looking into it extensively I'm pretty sure it's the classic hairline crack between the valve seats. Same thing happened to my (SC'd) '96 when it hit about 185K. Looks like I'm likely going to replace the heads soon (will likely use low-milage junkyard heads). When I did this on my '96 I recall folks recommending using the OEM gasket kit as the quality was higher and obviously this isn't a repair you want to have to redo. I have two questions:

1. What's the best place to order OEM Toyota parts online these days? (used to be Northridge Toyota and maybe also some dealer in Texas but my memory is foggy)
2. Looking for a complete parts list of what I need for this job (as I recall I need a few more bits than just the head gasket kit)

I ran across this kit online and it sounds like they use the same gaskets as OEM but I'm not positive. Any feedback on this option?: https://www.yotashop.com/toyota-5vzf...-kit-kit-1020/

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: I just spoke to a mechanic who said these heads crack due to needing a valve job, not due to heat cycling as I had presumed. He said you need to do a complete valve job every 90K on the 3.4L motor to avoid this happening. Can anyone validate his claim or provide any additional info?