Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Great product! Forever Black™. Works on your black trim and keeps it black forever.

Old 10-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great product! Forever Black™. Works on your black trim and keeps it black forever.

I have to say this stuff works! A buddy of mine told me about it. You use it once and out in on any black trim you have on your car. You know the black trim that always fades and turns greyish? People with black plastic sr5 flares know what I mean.

It's a permanent fix that only requirea ONE application and the stuff will stay black. It's comes in a two part kit with a cleaner and the applier.

Anyone ever try it on here?

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.htm#bumper
Old 10-24-2002, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason I am going to try and find this stuff! My trim around my windows is faded from never being parked in a garage. Back to Black didn't even faze it, so hoping this stuff will. I am getting desperate.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:23 AM

I use Mothers Back to Black. It works alright, but does not last too long. After awhile, it will fade away and you have to do it again. I will have to see if I can find some of that stuff and see what happens. Where can you get it at Jason? :fireman:
Old 10-25-2002, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

It uses a permanent DYE it seems.

Recolor and protect forever all the black plastic, vinyl and rubber surfaces on your car. ForeverBlack outperforms similar products because it's not a surface dressing like the others. It's an easy-to-use permanent dye. You simply sponge on color with the shoe polish-like applicator, wait a few minutes--and it's dry. And since the formula isn't silicone-based, there's no oily residue to attract road film or discolor clothing if you accidentally brush against the car. Includes a 4-oz. bottle of cleaner to prepare the surface, and a 4-oz. bottle of ForeverBlack.

The permanent solution to sun-faded bumpers and trim moldings.

Forever Black restores a dark, black, finish on sun-faded bumpers and body moldings. This is not a cosmetic dressing. It's an easy-to-use permanent dye. It permanently colors black plastic, rubber and vinyl with the same polymers that the manufacturers use. It is not a silicone dressing - silicone products will make plastic, vinyl and rubber appear to have regained their color but the change is temporary. Plus, silicone oils have been known to dry out the applied areas creating a bigger problem. Silicone also tends to leave a greasy residue even after buffing.

How is Forever Black Different?

1. Forever Black permanently dyes black plastic, rubber and vinyl.

2. Forever Black will completely cover the worst wax build-up or sun-faded trim.

3. Forever Black will not wash off.

4. Forever Black drys in 5 to 20 minutes. No buffing is required.

5. Once dried, Forever Black will not attract dust. There is no oily residue.

6. Forever Black has a UV sun screen to help shield against future fading.

7. Forever Black will restore bumpers, spoilers, mud guards, door handles, body and trim moldings to a like new condition.

It's quick and easy to use!

Each kit contains 4 oz. of Cleaner Concentrate and 4 oz. of Forever Black dye. Simply sponge surfaces to be treated with the cleaner to remove dirt, grease and dressings. Next, apply a coating of Forever Black using the shoe-dauber type applicator on the bottle. That's it! No buffing is required. In 5 to 20 minutes, your trim will be permanently black!
Old 10-25-2002, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

It seems to be only avail. by mail order.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/forblacbumtr.html - seems to have the best price.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

UKMyers I understand what your saying about the window trim, that is about the only thing that is fading on my baby right now, and being a black Runner it really hurts the look to have the trim going on me. Let me know if it works for ya, I might be all over it next time I get some free cash.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Stump I ordered some online for $10.99. Check it out here I will let ya know if it is worth a crap.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:51 AM

I looked on their website and found a dealer (a paint store of all places) here in Denver that had it for sale! I will let everyone know as well how it works.

I bought a quart for $23 instead of the 4 oz. for $11-12.

CB
Old 10-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

UKMyers,
Keep us posted. I would be interested to know if it works also. Great idea about using it on the window trim.

Matt
Old 10-25-2002, 06:36 PM

All,

I tried this stuff this evening on my running boards and window trim moldings which were gray to say the least. They are black like new now. As long as the result lasts, I recommend it wholeheartedly!

At first I was trying not to get on the paint, but then said f&*% it and just coated everything in the stuff.

I let it dry about an hour, and then got a wet sponge and towel and wiped it (more like scrubbed it) off the paint and crome. Came off easily. The black moldings were unaffected by the scrubbing.

Try it. My 97's pieces I have done so far look like new.

I would say that the 4Runner has more black moldings than I ever noticed before however once I started doing this little project.

CB
Old 10-25-2002, 07:08 PM

Question, do u think it will dye stock grey to black so i don't have to get interior paint from pep boys??
Old 10-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

GriotsGarage sells a similar product for those looking for an alternative.

$12.95
BUMPER & TRIP RECONDITIONING DYE, MY ALL TIME FAVORITE!
This product is the easiest way to bring back your faded black plastic bumpers to their original looking color. Applies easily with a foam tip applicator and doesn't require masking off the painted areas of your car. It permanently dyes vinyl and rubber trim, bringing it back to a new appearance. Use on bumpers, side moldings, tires, mirror housings, door handles, spoilers, and faded engine parts. Incredibly easy!
Old 10-27-2002, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

CB,
Glad to hear someone tried it against paint I was a bit worried about that especially since my truck is white. I can't wait to try it. The faded out trim drives me nuts!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:06 AM

Response to Grey to Black...

This stuff is a dye kind of like shoe polish in consistency. If the grey stuff is porous, then IMHO it would turn it black. Might take two coats though.

For example, on my running boards, I used a Qtip to trace around each raised section, then used a towel to wipe down the rest of the board a bit later.

I can see a darker outline around the raised sections since the stuff was obviously thicker. So, as a cautionary note, no matter how you apply it, be sure to wipe it in uniformly while it is all wet.

As for white paint, shouldn't be a problem, but be prepared to scrub somewhat.

CB
Old 11-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

For smaller jobs,

Use a black permanent marker, obviously not good for running boards, bumpers etc. My 1st Gen ashtray face had faded quite badly, went ahead and marked it up nice and thick, let it dry overnight, then rubbed it hard with alcohol to get the excess off, prevent smears and stains, make less sticky and make it look more like the normal color.
Not an exact match, but so close no one would ever notice, and cheap, few bucks total and easy to apply. Used same on the trim of other vehicles, takes about one new marker for a whole VW vanagon, then the tip is trashed.

Just be sure to rub it down carefully but LONG and HARD with rubbing Alcohol, the alcohol with ink in it will stain other stuff. After that it looks and FEELS original....

Last edited by dajabr; 11-06-2002 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

UKMyers, did you get it yet?
Old 11-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Jason still waiting for the the Forever Black and my new pedals. Can't wait! It takes a while for stuff to get here
Old 11-06-2002, 06:44 PM

CB, I too live in Denver, which store did you pick that stuff up at?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:03 AM

WHat does eveybody use on their brush guards. I currently use Mothers Back to Black and it doen not last very long.
Roy
Old 11-07-2002, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Wonder if it would work on my removable top?:eek:
Its faded pretty good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great product! Forever Black™. Works on your black trim and keeps it black forever.