Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

GPS Mounting in a 3rd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GPS Mounting in a 3rd Gen?

Just got a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx for Christmas --- I want to install some sort of mounting bracket on my '99's dash, for when I'm out driving around, and off-road.

Any suggestions?

What are you guys using for mounts?

I really don't care for the kind that have suction cups, or the sticky adhesive pads. I really want one that I can screw into the dash somewhere --- maybe there's a kind that that will let me remove the center climate control / head unit bezel, and fasten it to some of the bracketry there, then re-install the bezel... ?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM

Don't know about anything that custom, but Ram Mounts are usually good quality.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

I'll be looking too, I think I'm going to get a GPS soon.

Paul
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM

I use the windshield mount (suction cup) on my Magellan, and it works great, on and off-road I have it positioned right above and a little to the right of my center stack. I made it so that the power was directly connected and the wires run into the dash, so it looks very clean. No cigarette lighter plug and wires everywhere.

BUT... if suction cups aren't your thing, then I wish you luck in your search
Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Pro-fit VSM. This hard mounts to your dash. I use it to hold my CB mic.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 AM

+2 on the Pro-Fit VSM. I had one in my BMW for my XM. They were the only place that I found that had so many applications. Nice and clean looking once you install it.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought TWO mounts from Garmin, at the time I didn't think about looking for aftermarket mounts. I'll just say that they pretty much suck.

I have the exact same GPS as you. Its JUST too long to fit in the nice places you'd want it to have. Also, with the glare (since its a handheld) its hard to read while driving. I've given up on the mounts and just put it to hold in my hand.

The GPS is amazing though for everything, however, it does not excel in driving situations.

Lastly, check my sigline to put on Garmin Navigator on it. Will have turn by turn instructions just like a car GPS. Just without the voice. Also has the directory for like everything, and how to get there. You can do it for free rather than paying Garmin another $200...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Oh let me elaborate...

Garmin City Navigator, once you buy it uploads routing capabilities for your GPS unit. (The On-Road ones have this preloaded, but the GPSmap 60cx does not). So you need to either buy it, or you can do it cheaper:

Garmin Metro Guide is the same thing, however its way cheaper (and unlocked, so you can download it somewhere for free) and has routing capabilities, but, ONLY on your PC. So you can look up something just like Google Maps on your PC, but, what does that help you when your out in Boondock town?

You can download a program called Img2Gps which is able to transfer the routing capabilites of MeteroGuide on your PC to your GPS.

This took me about a month of researching, and it works flawlessly!!

I also have Garmin Topo 2008 if you're interested I can send you a copy for $10. Comes on a DVD.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

With the Pro-Fit VSM: Do you still need to buy a holder for the mount as well? If so, where do you get one that holds the GPS and also attaches to the mount?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

On the pro-fit website. I was looking at either the miGrip or miniGrip...Pro-fit holders.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM

You're right, suctions suck when it comes to bumpy roads, but I've heard good stuff about the Pro-Fit holders.
If you're not interested in getting turn-by-turn directions, I'd suggest getting the Garmin TOPO US mapset. It has everything City Navigator has except it wont' tell you where the nearest Starbucks is or suggest a fancy sushi restaurant in the area.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 AM

Here's how I did mine.

Since I installed an aftermarket HU I really didn't have a need for the clock. I removed the actual clock, but left the plastic cover in place. I picked up a generic GPS mount w/an adhesive cup and trimmed it to fit the clock recess. Modified a TomTom mount and attached it to the generic mount with JB-Weld. Hole is so I can get at the adjustment screw. Works great! Doesn't vibrate and is solid. Can still use the cup holders (though I never do), access the hazard/defrost buttons, and get good flow from the vent.

My next step is to hard wire it behind the center bezel.

Here's a similar set-up on my '95. I miss that truck...

Last edited by dgz32; 12-30-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Oh let me elaborate...

Garmin City Navigator, once you buy it uploads routing capabilities for your GPS unit. (The On-Road ones have this preloaded, but the GPSmap 60cx does not). So you need to either buy it, or you can do it cheaper:

Garmin Metro Guide is the same thing, however its way cheaper (and unlocked, so you can download it somewhere for free) and has routing capabilities, but, ONLY on your PC. So you can look up something just like Google Maps on your PC, but, what does that help you when your out in Boondock town?

You can download a program called Img2Gps which is able to transfer the routing capabilites of MeteroGuide on your PC to your GPS.

This took me about a month of researching, and it works flawlessly!!

I also have Garmin Topo 2008 if you're interested I can send you a copy for $10. Comes on a DVD.

You're the Man.

Sending you a PM now.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bighead
On the pro-fit website. I was looking at either the miGrip or miniGrip...Pro-fit holders.
How well does the Pro-Fit holder grip the GPS? Anyone have these come loose, off-road?

I don't want my GPS flying around the passenger cabin.....
Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM

http://www.proclipusa.com
Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have mine mounted here with a windshield suction cup mount.

It is out of the way and somewhat hidden from outside view. I ran the wire down here and under the dash to an auxilliary cigarette lighter input. I bought this cheapo input on ebay and have power to a constant fuse and grounded on the driver's seat.

This way it is a semi-permanent install that can be removed if necessary, the wire is hidden, and I don't have to occupy my primary cigarette lighter.

Last edited by 98SR54RUNNER; 01-01-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

I went for a little more stealthy approach as I park my truck in a parking ramp while at work. I basically removed the cover for the sunglasses/garage door opener compartment over the mirror and used a old car phone clam shell mount. Works great, obstructs the mirror only slightly, and can fold up out of the way when not in use.

I hard wired the unit and ran power down to the radio. I also ordered the external antenna and mounted that on top of the dash on the passenger side up by the windshield.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM

That's pretty sweet, MTriple --- very stealthy.