Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front engine question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front engine question.

I have been having issue after issues with my 98 Tacoma 2.7 4x4 5spd. I ended up taking it several mechanic who either miss diagnosed it or fixed it wrong.

So i recently picked it back up from said shop and parked it on my driveway thinking nothing of it. So i opened the hood up to disconnect battery to replace ecu. And i noticed a magnet trays with all the head bolts in it!!! they put the engine all back together but the head manifold bolts!!! So I was putting back together today and noticed there was a big piece of the front of the engine missing. I am wondering when it happen and which of the mechanics did it.

So now i have to replace yet another thing on my truck engine. I have put so much work into this thing and am getting fed up with it. Anyone know what the name of this part is and if i can order it or if it can even be replaced.
Any chance it dropped down into the engine?

Its the half moon looking thing on the front of the block.
I took the best picture i could i hope you guys can see it.

thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Front engine question.-img_0693.jpg   Front engine question.-img_0694.jpg   Front engine question.-img_0695.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't understand, why are you not taking it back to "said shop" and making them fix it properly?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can give you a bit of good news: those are your valve cover bolts rather than head bolts! Big difference and easily fixable. Looks like they didn't finish putting the valve cover back on. Any chance this was the last job on Friday? Cause it looks like some tech was eager to head home and forgot the last couple steps.

​​​​I'm guessing you lost some oil so check the dipstick and top it off as needed. Missing half moons makes me think your missing the valve cover gasket also. If that's the case, get a tech from the shop to drive over and finish the job. If you're on good terms with the shop, they'll feel bad and help you out and probably remember to finish the job next time.

I've had some awful luck with shops and now do all my repairs out in the garage. Sorry you got the short stick.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly the reason I started doing a lot of my own work a few years back. No excuse for service like that. Good luck and like gsp4life said above me, see if they'll come out and repair it. Im sure the parts are laying around their shop somewhere.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Since no one else mentioned the name of the part you are asking about, it is part of the valve cover gasket set. it is also possible to get the half moon gasket separate as well.