Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front end clunk when braking/starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end clunk when braking/starting

This seems to be a recent problem, or I just havent noticed it until now. Most of the time when im in stop/go traffic every time I brake or step on the throttle from a stop I will get a dull clunk that comes from what seems to be the passenger middle to front tire area. It sounds like setting a heavy glass cup on a wood table or a beam settling in a house.

I had my girlfriend rapidly start and stop yesterday but couldnt hear anything outside the vehicle except the rear driveline. Heres a list of things I checked yesterday that I thought could be making the noise but arent.

Brake caliper bolts
Lugnuts
F/R Driveline
Upper/Lower shock mounts
Springs contacting spindle
Swaybar endlinks
UCA Bushings
Differential mounts (1" diff drop)

Does anyone have any ideas? I have no idea what a bad CV sounds like, my boots are still intact (barely), LBJ's have around 10k, brake pads are new. My LCA bushings look fine, and i cant see them move when slamming on the brakes. This noise is driving me crazy.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had this in my Datsun earlier this year and it was a missing bolt/bushing on the tension rod (holds the front control arm to the frame). I had checked the caliper bolts everything, thinking it was a brake issue.

But it appears you checked everything. My money is on a suspension component still for your situation - did you check everything while it was load bearing, or up on stands? I'd check while it's up - that way you can wiggle things and see if they move.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Ive checked it on and off stands, cant get anything to wiggle without a 2ft prybar. This problem has been happening for about a week now and just today my gear selector on my trans got stuck in park and it took about 5 minutes of wiggling to get it unstuck. Now its sloppy between N and R and still trys to stick in park. Not saying these issues are related but thought id throw it out there.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM

Check ALL suspension and steering components. Your CV joints will click or tap when turning. Have you checked wheel bearings. Possibly brake components. Did the vehicle operation change when you heard this sound? Could this sound be something loose in the glove box? Do you have a way to put a mic or video under vehicle while driving to share the sound so we can help with diagnosis?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM

check your sway bar bushings and steering rack bushings
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Rack bushings are fairly new and it still does it when the swaybars deleted.

Its gotta be the LCA's, Ive checked everything else and those are the only things that could still be doing it. I ordered energy bushings from Toytec should be installing them sometime this month
Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though your LBJs have only 10k on them, is one or both failing in addition to the LCA bushings?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Even though your LBJs have only 10k on them, is one or both failing in addition to the LCA bushings?
If there was enough play in my LBJs to make noise you would think I would have ran over my own tire a long time ago.

I replaced my LCA bushings and it did nothing. Energy suspension bushing are a PITA to install, you have to burn and cut the rubber off the OEM bushings because you must re-use every metal piece.

Could a CV be making this noise? Finally blew the boot and will be replacing shortly
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Check your CV Axle and Bearing. They might loose or bad.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Does it seem to pull to one side when you are almost at a complete stop then again as you release the brake, but not all the time??? Just asking because I just now am starting to get this after installing a 4" lift. I first thought that the brake rotor had grease and was just slipping at that point on the rotor when brake was applied but I addressed that by cleaning them off but still happens to me. I will subscribe.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM

My "clunk" went away went away after having my driveline lubed up. Most places will do it for free like jiffy lube or the like.

Mine was doing the clunk when i'd stop at a red signal then release the brake. Check it out before you start tearing stuff apart or spending money. This is a potential fix and it's free and takes only a few minutes.

Good Luck
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 AM

A little more description/info,

The clunk after letting off the brake pedal is very typical of driveshaft slip joint needing grease. The slip joint will bind up a bit as the brakes are applied which loads the rear axle. This load is released once you let off the brakes and can give an audible 'clunk'. This is especially true after a hard stop.

Lube all u-joints, slip joints with a TON of grease. The grease gets old and dries out. Good luck again.