Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Found a Scooped Hood on CL, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the pics! It definitely helps to see what you were talking about. I was thinking about buying a small A/C filter and just cutting it down to size but that might restrict the air flow too much. Hopefully I can find something...
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 AM

So I was finally able to make some more progress. I finished sanding the entire hood with 60 grit sandpaper. I followed that up with some 120 grit to even up the rough spots and smooth everything out. After sanding everything I wiped it all down with some acetone to get everything clean and ready for paint. Durabak is not supposed to be applied to bare metal so I sprayed the hood and scoop with 3 light coats of Rustoleum self etching primer (recommended by Durabak). Here is how it sits now.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM

After letting the self etching primer dry overnight there were some rough spots, so I sanded the entire hood and scoop with some 120 grit sandpaper to even everything out and make a good scuffed surface for the Durabak to adhere to. Then I wiped everything down with Xylene and let it dry/evaporate for about 20-30 minutes. Then it was time for the Duraback, FINALLY!! I followed the directions and applied two light coats with about an hour between coats. I must admit that I was a little disappointed after the first coat because it was uneven and almost patchy when it came to the rubber granules, but that quickly disappeared after the second coat. The second coat should be applied while the first coat is still tacky so it grabs onto the rubber granules and holds them in place. I think it came out great and I can't wait to get it on my truck!!

Last edited by 4ever4running; 11-03-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like mud lol
Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
that hood's gonna be tough as nails! looks good. and my opinion still stands: it would look sweet with the rocker panels bed-lined
Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
looks like mud lol
It does look a little like mud with the sun like that. The pics were taken right after I applied the second coat so it does look a little brown because it hasn't had a chance to dry and cure yet. I checked on it this morning and it actually looks black, rather than dark brown but the texture will remain mudesque

Originally Posted by irab88
that hood's gonna be tough as nails! looks good. and my opinion still stands: it would look sweet with the rocker panels bed-lined
Thanks! I don't think I'm going to have any problems with it getting scratches or dings I definitely think that having to rocker panels done will tie it together. I am hoping to do those this weekend but I am still trying to decide how high I want to go with the Durabak on the rocker panels...

Last edited by 4ever4running; 10-28-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM

here's my idea:
Found a Scooped Hood on CL, what next?-rocker-pannel-1.png
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cant wait to see the rocker panels and hood done. Im thinkin about lining the rocker pannels myself and maybe get some sliders but not sure how it would look. Tried looking for pics but didnt really find much aspecialy for a white 4runner. Interested to see that hood on too. I was thinking bout painting my hood W/scoop factory white with a black plug (possibly lined plug to kinda stick out) and definetly painting the grill piece silverish to pop out of the scoop visualy
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
cant wait to see the rocker panels and hood done. Im thinkin about lining the rocker pannels myself and maybe get some sliders but not sure how it would look. Tried looking for pics but didnt really find much aspecialy for a white 4runner. Interested to see that hood on too. I was thinking bout painting my hood W/scoop factory white with a black plug (possibly lined plug to kinda stick out) and definetly painting the grill piece silverish to pop out of the scoop visualy
I know what you mean. I was looking around to try to find someone who had done the rocker panels on a white 4Runner but I didn't have any luck either...I will keep the thread updated on what I do with the rocker panels so you and other can see it.

here's my idea:
Attachment 84403
I think that might be a little too much. I was just thinking about following the natural "lines" around the wheel wells (about 3-4 inches) and carrying that down to the rocker panels and the bottom of the door....or maybe I should just do the traditional rocker panels and go about halfway up the doors and higher around the wheel wells...I wish I could see how it looks before I decide how high to go...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 AM

you mean something like this?
Found a Scooped Hood on CL, what next?-rocker-pannel-2.png
Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
somthing like that lol
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 AM

you mean something like this?
Attachment 84404
Much better! That is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. The wheel wells in your photo are exactly where I want them, but the rocker/door panels might still be a little high...what do everyone think? Should I do it like the drawing or do the rocker/door panels a little lower?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM

i think keep them at the level of the original contours, like in the photo
Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM

i think keep them at the level of the original contours, like in the photo
Yeah I am really liking the way that looks. I think that is the way to go, and it will also mean that more of the truck is protected with the Durabak.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:33 AM

So I was able to install the hood yesterday and I think it looks awesome!! I ended up using some left over grille mesh that I had from my Satoshi mod to make the grille. I also picked up a cheap A/C filter at the local hardware store and cut it down to fit and put it behind the mesh grille material to keep as much dust out as possible. But enough talk on to the important part...

After seeing it on, I think I am also going to use the Durabak on the 2 small grille inserts under the headlights and the grille surround itself. I think that would look pretty sweet! What do you guys think?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks good man, now ya just need to ditch that damage multiplier and get an ARB!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM

sweeeeeeeeet!!!!! i like, i like

that "trd" in the scoop is a nice touch
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
So I was able to install the hood yesterday and I think it looks awesome!! I ended up using some left over grille mesh that I had from my Satoshi mod to make the grille. I also picked up a cheap A/C filter at the local hardware store and cut it down to fit and put it behind the mesh grille material to keep as much dust out as possible. But enough talk on to the important part...
[pics]
After seeing it on, I think I am also going to use the Durabak on the 2 small grille inserts under the headlights and the grille surround itself. I think that would look pretty sweet! What do you guys think?
you mean those tiny white strips? go for it. also, if you're keeping it, coating the lower valance would look cool, too
Old 10-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
Looks good man, now ya just need to ditch that damage multiplier and get an ARB!
Thanks! I do need to get rid of the grille guard and get a Shockworks, I just don't have the $$$ right now. Hopefully that will be my next mod, but I have to start saving for a while because they are pricey!!

sweeeeeeeeet!!!!! i like, i like

that "trd" in the scoop is a nice touch
Thanks! I wanted one for my Satoshi mod and they came it a 2 pack so I used one for the Satoshi but the other one sitting around, so I thought I would put it to good use.

you mean those tiny white strips? go for it. also, if you're keeping it, coating the lower valance would look cool, too
Yeah the tiny white strips. I was thinking about that too but eventually I want to get a Shockworks so I don't know if I want to put in the effort...
Old 10-29-2010, 04:52 PM

ooh. i just looked at shrockwork's site. gnarly bumpers!

Quick Reply: Found a Scooped Hood on CL, what next?