Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flush mount Rigid Dually's on ARB front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Flush mount LED lights on ARB front bumper?

UPDATE - THIS MOD CAN BE DONE! SEE PHOTOS OF INSTALLED LIGHTS IN POST FROM 7/31/14

Before buying an ARB bumper, I'd like to know if anyone has installed the flushmount Rigid Dually D2's (or equivalent LED lights) on each side of the winch fairlead opening. Basically one on each side, between the fairlead and the rubber pad.

Here's what the light looks like:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-l...d_optics%3A105

ATTN ARB OWNERS: Even if you haven't done this mod, maybe you can help me
by providing with the measurement of those spaces?

Appreciate any/all information. In a perfect world, the ARB Tacoma/4Runner bumper has enough space for me to do this. I'd much rather have lights recessed into a bumper than bolted on top. Cleaner look, and typically more difficult for theft or vandalism. Cutting two small holes into a new bumper to mount these lights is an easy thing to do.

Last edited by Performance1; 07-31-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: more clarity
Old 05-18-2014, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats wrong with the ebay versions of these lights? they are only $25 per search offroad led or led light bar

looks like all you would have to do is use a plasma cutter to cut a nice recess window and those should just drop right in
Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Have zero issues with using an LED other than Rigid (heck, too $$$ for me).

What I have is the same as this (same flavor, either website)
Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-CREE-LED-POD-LIGHT-LAMP-FLUSH-MOUNT-DUALLY-D2-DRIVING-4X4-AWD-SPOT-FLOOD-/271380530293?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2f8a4475&vxp=mtr
Amazon (where I bought) -
http://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Dually-Flush-Tacoma-Bumper/dp/B00JFUEW8W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top http://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Dually-Flush-Tacoma-Bumper/dp/B00JFUEW8W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Already have the lights. Reason for the post is to get some info from another YotaTech member that might already have this ARB bumper. Really would like to get an idea of potential mounting locations. Only outboard of the rubber pads? Any possibility of mounting between rubber pads and winch opening?

Anyone?
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I don't have my ARB bumper equipped Tacoma any more but one problem I could foresee with using that style flush mount light would be getting them adjusted. You would need to shim them to aim.

To gain some adjustable light maybe cut the hole and mount a tab so you can aim the light.

About the only place to mount them would be on the outer wings of the bumper. The center is multiple layers of metal to give the winch area it's strength. Hard to tell but parts of the center section are 3 layers of metal.
Name:  HPIM1270.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  73.9 KBName:  HPIM1268.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  65.7 KB

I too liked the flush mounted lights.
I had several of the 16w lights so I made my own flush mount on the back of my truck (more of an experiment)

Name:  20140414_152311_zpsyssfl1oq.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  58.5 KB
Great output
Name:  20140407_202151_zpsamxu8joa.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  261.6 KBName:  20140407_202204_zpskwbbqshs.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  89.0 KB

Last edited by dropzone; 05-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job with the lights and the deletion of the factory ugly's ! I dont have that kinda of pactance to work sheet like that, what did you do to plug the factory hole?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Dropzone,
Thanks for those pics! They do a great job showing the inside and giving
an idea of some of the support structure in the area between the frame rails. But, it looks
to me that the bumper in your pics above might be for a newer truck (2005 and up Tacoma? Maybe from a 2003 and up 4Runner?)

When compared to the bumper that I'm looking at, your pics have more open gaps in the center section so I'm virtually certain it's
for a different application. Here's the ARB bumper with a lot more center mounting space that I'm considering:

And another shot (large image):
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...r-img_0556.jpg

Although there are definitely differences between my examples and the bumper in your photos, it's likely a reasonable guess that
the inside center sections are structurally similar. Still looking for that to be verified (holding out hope).

If you (or anyone) can offer insight regarding the inside of the specific ARB I'm considering that would be great! (ARB part # 3423020)
Would LOVE to be able to cut a hole on each side of fairlead and use my flush mount LED's!

P.S. Great job on those backup lights!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Found one! After doing some digging I came-up with a photo of the inside of the ARB front bumper that fits our trucks (95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners,
4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners). ARB # 3423020

Far more open area here than I was expecting. This has given me some hope as a mounting place for those flush mount LED lights!

PLEASE - Anyone with this same bumper, if you could provide the height/width of the available space it would be greatly appreciated.
(Again, between the boxed winch/fairlead area and the rubber pad)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Dually flushmount LED lights on ARB - LOOKS GOOD!

Haven't located a Tacoma/4Runner bumper to see in-person yet, but ARB HQ in Washington just called me with measurements (ARB part # 3423020).

Review - Looking to mount two Dually D2 flushmount LED lights on front bumper. One on each side of the winch opening, between the winch and rubber bumper pad. This area is square to the front end (meaning parallel with the front headlights, not the angled "wings" to each side).

Mounting Area considered - The vertical section between the winch and rubber bumper. Want to know available area for cutting a hole to recess and mount light. Three important factors: Hole size, depth available, and sufficient area to fasten front mounting flange of the light itself.

MEASUREMENTS OF BUMPER (per Bill at ARB):

Front steel plate thickness = 3/16"

EXTERIOR - Overall front plate area each side = 6"H x 5"W

INTERIOR - From bumper plate (inside) to winch mount plate (Depth avail) = 2.5" (BUT, because winch itself has a plate/nuts/etc., likely have another .5"-1" avail)
Considering bumper thickness of 3/16", overall from outside of front bumper till light hits something inside is approx 3.2"+ Depth.

From vertical support of winch mount to vertical support plate = 7.5" W (this entire space is probably not avail since rubber pad likely extends into this area in front)

Inside vertical height available = approx 6"H

BOTTOM LINE - It looks the ARB 4Runner Tacoma bumper I'm considering to buy can be customized to accept the flushmount lights I already own.
(Cut-outs of 3"H x 3.25"W, 2.875" Depth. Mount flange 3.625"H x 4.75"W)

Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM

Dually D2 lights are in and mounted!

This was an easy mod to my new ARB bumper to get these flush mount lights installed. Basically just cut holes for the light body, and drill four holes for mounting screws.
NOTE: this mod would likely NOT work with most winches installed.

Hole cut in bumper (Right side):

Test fit light (Left side):

Lights on:

Attached Thumbnails Flush mount Rigid Dually's on ARB front bumper?-ac-unit-4runner-paint-arb-lights-side-mirror-073.jpg   Flush mount Rigid Dually's on ARB front bumper?-ac-unit-4runner-paint-arb-lights-side-mirror-072.jpg   Flush mount Rigid Dually's on ARB front bumper?-ac-unit-4runner-paint-arb-lights-side-mirror-090.jpg