Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

First time really wrenching on my 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time really wrenching on my 3.0

Well it is my first time to really do anything hard on any car. I will be pulling the whole motor and having it rebuilt. Just started on it this morning. If any of you have done this before and have any good info hints or tips it would be appreciated. I will be posting lots of pics as this progresses. Hoperfully tomorrow morning I will be ready to pull the heads.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:16 AM

Take lots of pic's to remember how to put it back together

Mike
Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lucky3
Well it is my first time to really do anything hard on any car. I will be pulling the whole motor and having it rebuilt.
what a way to start!! good luck!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:06 PM

Good luck. Hope that it all turns out good.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lucky3
Well it is my first time to really do anything hard on any car.
I am right there with you. This 3.0 is the first engine I have really paid any attention to. But after looking at it and comparing it to other engines, I think I might skip the engine work and concentrate on the less complicated stuff... like the drivetrain .
Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

i've water logged this engine many times and it still runs great for me, i would just get the injectors serviced 25 bucks eash...new fuel filter, oil, transmission flush, diff fluid change, transfer case flush, cap and roter (distributer), spark wires go to toyota for that and plugs, os senors they cost abit, erg filter change really easy, and make sure your air box is put together nicely, check fan cluch jjust spin it, thermostat easy, belts easy, while your at it do the timing bely and water pump if it has not been done, the water pump can be rebuilt, starter rebuilt, idler arm rebuilt, these thing you get rebuilt just go to toyota and they give you a kit...starter 15 bucks so on and so forth...good luck
Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Lable every single hose and wire (even if you know what it is) with masking tape.

Take millions of pics....I could really use them when i go to pull my 3.0
Good luck!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:16 PM

thanks for all your wishes of good luck. i did not get that much done after lunch because i spent about an hour and a half messing with the power steering pump. i found out that i need a pulley puller. so far not too difficult surprisingly. i really think the hard part will be once i start to disconnect all the wires and hoses, and finding which ones to disconnect. apparently it looks like i will pull the motor with the intake plenum and heads still attached. has anyone personally done this before on the 3.0? that is what it says to do in the fsm. it also says to pull the tranny with the motor? anyone know if you can disconnect the tranny while it is in the truck so i can just pull the motor? anyways, this is a lot of work for one person but i think the sense of accomplishment will be worth it.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 PM

I did a 3.0 motor pull and install this past summer. I actually took the intake off, because I had the owner of the truck get the injectors clean. But I did have the heads on and all tin work intact when i pulled it. I unbolted the tranny (5 speed) from the motor. But like everyone else said, take a lot of pictures and tag EVERYTHING! Have fun with the crossover pipe that is a pain in the BUTT! Good luck feel free to ask questions....somebody will answer!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:20 AM

thanks a lot! im sure i will have lots of questions.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Today I only worked on the 4runner for about an hour and a half. Man, too many hoses and wires to keep track of. Hopefully I will not lose any of the labels. Anyways, 98_yota was it fairly simple to take disconnect the tranny and then take the motor out? How did you support the tranny? Thanks for any helpful info anyone can give me.

Robert
Old 11-11-2005, 04:21 PM

You will need to remove the plenum at least that was my findings. The wiring comes out easier if the plenum is removed. Putting it back in ditto you can have the crossover exhaust, intake and everything besides the plenum when reinstalling. When reinstalling make some guide pins to screw into the engine tranny mount holes so it can go back together easier. Lots of extensions and a universal to get the top bellhousing bolts. I was told to remove the shifter but got it done with the extensions and universal just fine. No need to pull the pulley on the ps just remove it bracket and all set it to the side along with the ac compressor no need to disconnect the lines. We just got ours running again after a rebuild and I will say the 3.0 is a very easy engine to work on. Everything is pretty much straight forward and simple.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:57 PM

If i remember right i used tie downs from one side of the frame under the tranny to the other side to hold it up......it wasnt hard at all to unbolt the tranny from the motor, just the top bellhousing bolts were a little hard to get to cause there is just no room also trying to get that crossover pipe in the rear out was a pain in the butt! other then that is went pretty smooth. Ran into some problems here and there but thats to be expected. keep us posted on your progress!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:50 PM

cool....thanks for all the great info. i will have more pics in the next day or two. I think I will be pulling the motor tomorrow or the day after. Once again, thanks everyone

Robert
Old 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In case you didn't already know, a little secret I learned that makes separating an engine from the tranny a LOT easier. Put a jack under the oil pan and get it tight enough to relieve stress from the motor mounts, remove anything else holding the drivetrain up back to the driveshaft (tranny x-member), and then remove the motor mounts. Lower the whole thing down as far as you can get it, and make it stable somehow by putting some kinda wood blocks or something on both sides of the oil pan and any other reasonable place you can find (engine or tranny wise) to hold it up. Now you've got much better access to get those bolts off and separating the tranny.

Last edited by Churnd; 11-12-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Well, it has been a few days but I finally got a little more done. I got the intake plenum off. Some of those hoses are a PITA to get off. There is very little room to get to some and the hoses have been on there for 10 years and 225,000 miles, so they are on there pretty tight. Here are a few pics of the plenum being off. Looks pretty dirty. Let me know if anyone has any more tips for me. Hopefully tomorrow I will have the motor pulled out of the 4runner.

Thanks Everyone,

Robert

Old 11-14-2005, 08:47 PM

No tips from me, looking good! Just take your time and do it right the first time! Feel free to ask questions! Soak the exhaust bolts where it connects to the pipe leading to the rear of the truck....they can be pain to get off! Keep us updated
Old 11-14-2005, 10:56 PM

Heh, here is a tip that is a bit late. Leave the intake plenum and the 415 vacuum lines attached and flop it over on the RH fender with a towel under it. You're taking way too much off that doens't need to be disturbed to remove the engine.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Just got done with mine...check out my thread of horror...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/anyone-up-helping-67812/
Old 11-15-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ill be pulling mine soon. Ive got the block tore down and trying to figure out if i want to send the heads out to get reworked.

ive got some pics of my rebuild.... putting them together now.