Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

final locker price

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
final locker price

I searched threw all of the posts on here and found most of the information I was looking for but I still have a few more questions.
I'm strongly considering putting in a locker and am looking at the options. I really like the sound of the aussie but they don't make it for the V6 yet. So I've looked at some other types such as the lock rite. I looked at the installation pages and it appears that the lunch box lockers can be put in by a monkey with a screw driver and a ratchet. The other option I've looked at is the selectable locker. Which of course cost more and from what I've gathered are a lot more complicated to install. I've heard people talk about measuring clearences and the such when installing these. Are the clearences something that just aren't mentioned with the lunch box variety and still are an issue? So is the price comparison auto to selectable or is auto to selectable + installation? I've messed with GM gear ends but from the looks of it Toyota's are designed differently.
Thanks...tractionless in Seattle
Old 10-31-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
depends on what locker you get. there are lunchbox lockers like the aussie(which i heard is very good) and the lockright(which i have heard is not so good). you can put those in yourself

as for any locker that requires a seperate carrier/r&p setup, don't even mess with it unless you're a skilled mechanic. gears are HARD to set up. that's why they cost so much to install. however, you can easily buy a 3rd member with a locker installed already, and put that in yourself without trouble(except for the toyota electric locker -- you have to whack on the housing in a couple places to clearance it, i'm thinking of doing this)
Old 10-31-2003, 01:20 PM

I installed a Lock Right #1620 (4 pinion~V6) in my 94 and I have to say that even though it took 6 hours since I did it myself, it was so simple that I was sure that I had screwed up somewhere. The hardest part was holding the third member still so that I could torque the bolts down. It was the best mod that I have installed in my truck! For the price it was certainly the way to go. I will be doing my SAS soon so I will likely get a Detroit Soft Locker when I do.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:43 PM

I've got a detroit in the rear of mine, and a lockright(yet to be installed) for the front. Detroits are the best for auto lockers... they are built so tuff that you will destroy your ring gear before the locker will fail. I think I remember being quoted at $1000 for a 3rd with the detroit from Randy's Ring and Pinion. If you buy from them you don't have to worry about the shipping cost(weighs around 100lbs). They are located off Airport Way in Everett. Just across the street and down a couple blocks from them is Central. That's where I bought my Lockright, it was $225 for the front locker. If you go the route of a selectable locker it will be much more expensive. But, they are definately worth the money if you have it. I'm just a broke college student... you won't find anything extravagent on my truck.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

My wallet isn't very thick either so it look like I'll be going with a auto locker. I can afford $200 but not $1000...unless I sell a kidney. After the reviews I've been hearing I think I'll wait for the Aussie until it comes out in another month or so. Thanks for the info on the installation difference.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:16 PM

There's also a ton of guys down in your area on yotatech.... so you might be able to get some help installing it too. If you were closer to me I'd definately help. Find someone with air tools. It makes it sooo much easier to take the rear end apart. Took me maybe half an hour to take it apart. Would have been just a little longer to put it back together but I had to go and break 3 studs. I ended up replacing all of them while I was at it. Something you might want to think about doing too.