Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Factory Chrome Pkg 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Chrome Pkg 2002

Saw this pic on the net of what seems to be a 2002 Sport Edition. Maybe I've just been missing it, but this is the first time I've seen these chrome taillight surrounds. Are these a factory option? And, they should fit on my 2002 SR5..right?
Attached Thumbnails Factory Chrome Pkg 2002-factory-chrome-2002.jpg  
Old 03-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, that's a factory chrome package on a 2002. VERY RARE find! The chrome trail trim, chrome side mirrors and chrome exhaust tip are all part of it.

You can order any of these parts through your local dealer.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

As far as I know on the 2002 sport edition, the area around the license plate is the same color as the truck. Another thing is that the fender flares on that one looks way smaller than any other sport edition ive seen. I think its just a regular sr5. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Here is mine

Old 03-22-2003, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrome Package GP?

I have emailed my parts guy to see if there is a package PN on this option and to hopefully get a price on it.

I would like to have this on my truck and if anyone else is interested, I would appreciate others contacting their Toyota part contacts to see what we can do. Maybe we can get a good price on this if we have some quantity.

Anyone who has this option, I would ask you to tell me if the exhaust tip is chrome or stainless. As someone said once before, if you put a magnet on the part and it sticks, it isn't stainless.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:41 AM

Group Buy?

I'm interested if this turns into a group buy. I'll ask my local dealer about pricing and availability.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quoted from the 4Runner History page...

"A new Chrome Package is available on the SR5 grade to provide a more upscale appearance. This package includes chrome front grille, side mirrors, door handles, wheel arch moldings, taillamp garnish, rear license plate garnish, exhaust tip, and available 16-inch high-gloss alloy wheels. "
Old 03-22-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: Group Buy?

Originally posted by snappy
I'm interested if this turns into a group buy. I'll ask my local dealer about pricing and availability.
My Internet parts contact is Metro Toyota. I use them for most of my parts although he does not do as well on TRD parts. I would suggest that who ever is interested in fereting this thing out, contact one of the other good Internet Toyota parts sources for a price.

As J.A. has indicated by the quote from his detailed model history writeup, the package comes with numerous components, some of which I would not be interested in. I guess we'll have to see how complicated it gets when we try to break it down.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jalaber
Quoted from the 4Runner History page...
This is correct, and the tailpipe tip is chrome vs. stainless. Oddly enough, the front and rear bumpers on mine are color keyed instead of chrome. Guess they figured it would over do it.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:47 PM

Hey guys. Does anyone know if its possible to buy certain parts of the Chrome Package seperate without buying the whole package? I've got a 2000 4Runner and I think the chrome license plate garnish would look nice as well as the chrome rear-view mirror and door handles. Do you guys think the dealers would sell these parts seperate?
I'm only asking because I wouldnt want to have to buy new flares, tail light garnish, and exhaust tip when I dont even need them.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can get them separate. Each part has it's own part #.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:11 PM

Great! Thanks Jason. Now who here wants to sell me some???
Old 03-23-2003, 05:26 PM

Let's have some PN's
Old 03-23-2003, 11:03 PM

I love chrome. Always have...old school kustom car and bike junkie. I got my chrome mirror covers and tail light surrounds from Japan...maybe 2 years ago. Only available there (notice my tails are the old style). Since I heard the '02 US model had a chrome package, I went to the dealer and sure enough, any item could be ordered separately. I got the 4 door handles (a few color surrounds are available, I got black) and the rear license surround. They were a small pain to install, but well worth it...I know I'm the only '99 with all the '02 chrome goodies here. The chrome tip is kinda small and lame, any aftermarket tip is better, mine is stainless and way nicer.

Old 03-24-2003, 03:27 AM

Brian,

That is a really nice looking truck. I have such spoiler envy. I want the OE spoiler and am hoping I can get one from Japan.

Are the chrome mirror accents covers or do you have to replace the whole mirror?

Do you have any problems with the tail light garnish rusting.

Does the chrome tip slide over the OE tailpipe or does it require cutting or welding?
Old 03-24-2003, 10:28 AM

Thanks Peter. Mines were mirror 'covers' as described in the Japan catalog. They fit the 'new' shape '00 mirros, so I had to buy new mirrors. The chrome package ones may be a complete assembly...I don't know for sure. The tail trim is chromed plastic with 3M doublestick. All the chrome, mirrors, handles, tail trim and license garnish is plastic...no rust. I have'nt see the tailpipe tip in person, but the pics look very generic. Not sure if it's a weld-on, but it looks close to stock size...
Old 03-24-2003, 11:17 AM

Thanks ButNut ...
I'm pestering my parts guy to get me (us) some info on this stuff. I'll report back when and if I learn anything.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:08 PM

nice But

nice ride , butnut!

I figured you're from the 808 state as soon as i saw the bracket for the safety check sticker! Izzat shot down by Erma's (sandy beach)? Just a guess, i thought that looked like kokohead crater in the background...

back to the topic -- how are your taillight surrounds mounted? are these 2xsidedtape, or are they mounted w/ the taillight screws?

nice touch with the chrome door handles... i'll have to see if they got em in white...

Aloha!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:11 AM

Howzit snap. Yup, Erma's cuz...yeah, still got that damn safety check...all my lights are swapped back to stock once a year. The tail trim is fully covered with 3M double stick...it's never coming off. I think they should have the handle trim in white...post a pic when you pau with da chrome.
Saw Sponge Bob (Time Machine episode) the other day. He said, "In the futuer, everything is CHROME!"...made me smile. It was beeeutiful!
Old 03-25-2003, 03:55 PM

anyone know how much the license plate garnish, door handles, and rearview mirror cover cost?
Old 03-25-2003, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by prolax13
anyone know how much the license plate garnish, door handles, and rearview mirror cover cost?
You can call your local Toy dealer and ask for prices on the '02 4Runner chrome package items...that's what I did. If I remember correctly ( I get a small discount) handles were about 80 bucks each, rear garnish was about 120 bucks. Mirrors, I don't know.

Quick Reply: Factory Chrome Pkg 2002