Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Emission help on 1999 Tacoma 3.4 motor

Old 01-17-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Emission help on 1999 Tacoma 3.4 motor

Ok guys , I believe this info is all here somewhere but after countless hours I have not been able to find definitive answers to what I'm dealing with so here goes .

I have a 3.4 out of a 99 Tacoma 4x4 to the best of my knowledge that I received to put in my 89 3.0 4runner . I know there is a swap forum here as well and have searched many hours there looking for answers with no luck . My feeling is this is more of a tech deal than swap so please forgive me if I'm wrong here .

When I got the motor and truck the motor parts were all dismantled as far as accessories and brackets with little to no tags or markings to tell me what and where everything needed to go to make things work . Fast forward the motor is in and running thanks to a harness from the Toyota only swaps folks and others as well , I can go into detail later if anyone is interested but here's my dilemma .

The emission's , wiring harness and parts all came in boxes again , unmarked and I can't figure out what I need to do as far as the evap box and related apparatus . I ended up buying a box from a bone yard for a 99 4runner thinking it would work instead of a Tacoma and might be a mistake all by itself . I can't find a decent place to mount this sucker as it is way tall and will hit the hood on either side of the engine compartment which is actually secondary to actually knowing where to hook up which vacuum , fume and other related devices to be able to purge the gas tank and such .

Thought seriously about just eliminating it all together but after reading here on other posts venting the raw fumes outright instead of re-burning them does sound smelly and not environmentally responsible either .

I live by Seattle and because of the year of the truck don't need to worry about emissions for tabs but again , purging the stuff and making the ecu happy at the same time makes sense to me .

Sorry this is so long but wanted to do my best at painting the picture and I've actually been reluctant to post here knowing I should be able to figure this stuff out on my own but frustration has taken over so any and all help would be much appreciated . I have a couple of other things as well but one thing at a time I'm thinking .

Many thanks to all of you for helping built this site for folks like me that tend to get lost in the dark at times , it happens
Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I mounted my Charcoal canister on the left inner fender no clearance problems. Close to the firewall .

This seems to be where most end up on 3.4 swaps

I have the battery the washer fluid tank and the charcoal canister.

I would need to look just where the lines are hooked up.''

This is in my 92 4Runner.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you need it for emissions? I didn't install any of that crap. Responsible? You're not hurting anything in the big scheme. Just pinch off the return vapor line on the firewall. Drill a hole in your gas cap for your vent and voila.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opinion, if you're going to do it, do it right.

This could be a good place to start (its for a 96 4Runner): https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50681855

Or this may be better (same guy, different thread): https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/e...outing-131058/
Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if the 99 4Runner EVAP canister is different than the 96/97 canister, but I mounted my 97 4Runner canister on the driver side fender (sorry, they're not the best but they're the only ones I have that show where the canister is mounted).

Name:  IMAG0675.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  105.9 KB
(long story, don't ask...)

Name:  IMAG0632.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  91.4 KB
Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the feedback

So I got side tracked for a bit here with a heater core issue , here's what I have managed so far :

I've decided at this point to retain as much of the emission system as is practical for a couple of reasons but mostly for the sake of keeping things as close to stock as I can so the ECU can function as designed .

Took a look at the link's SacRunner posted as well as the pictures and picked up the correct EVAP box I needed which now resides on the drivers side fender well like most have done . Hooked up the lines as best I could and I even think they're right only to find bypassing the o2 sensors was another issue . Had a bung welded into the new 2 1/2 inch exhaust , installed a new upstream sensor and have built a bypass device for the number 2 sensor as the rig didn't come with a cat and already had the new system installed without putting in a new one . Save some money and hopefully future problems down the road .

Hooked everything up and started driving still trying to work out the CEL codes issue when I found I had started loosing anti freeze somewhere , ended up being the heater core which is a whole other issue altogether and a complete pita . Aftermarket replacements don't work , wrong lay out and the radiator shop is way expensive , dealership doesn't stock that item any more sooo........core is out , installed new gaskets in the core tubes doubling them up which worked but now after looking at it again I think sense I have the dash completely apart now I will solder the tubes in place so I'll never have to deal with this issue again , I hope . For anyone who is looking at this same problem there are a couple of different threads here that helped but found nothing on the replacement/repair issue and can give you all the info I came up with to help it along .

Once I get the truck back together yet again I'll be able to drive it enough to tell whether what I have done so far actually will work as is or needs some more tweaking . I have knock sensor and number two o2 codes right now but as I've said I was in the process of re-setting the ECU and letting it have time to adjust before I try anything else .

I'll post as soon as I find out where things sit right now .

Thanks again for all the help here and all the other great work everyone has done and shared here . this is my first swap and first major undertaking in general so this site has been instrumental in any success I have . It has been quite the adventure so far and hopefully everything will gel and I'll be able to start enjoying the fruits of my labor
Old 04-03-2016, 04:40 PM

OK , still having problems with emissions and cel light

I apologize for not sticking in here with you guys and doing a blow by blow run down on what's been going on but thinking at this point perhaps if I can get this worked out , with the help of our members it could help some other poor soul from not going thru the troubleshooting the long round about way as I have .

Where I am now in the process : I found out from the good folks at Toy Only Swaps that one of my problems was using the wrong wiring for the rear o2 sensor . I added the second bung and installed a new number two sensor but used the pig tail , connector from the original 1989 wiring harness which exits the truck under the driver's seat to where the sensor was originally , before I had a 2 1/2 inch exhaust installed without a cat . Sense I have swapped in a 99 3.4 from a manual 4wd Tacoma using it's engine harness and an adapter harness from TOS the wiring I had plugged into was going nowhere . The 3.4 o2 wiring all originates from the engine harness as opposed the the body elec harness that the 3.0 had used before . Took a lot of head scratching and hours of time to finally get to the point of actually asking TOS what was up with the harness . I know , I'm a dumb-ass Good news is by doing everything the hard way I'm learning ....... way more than I wanted to about my truck .

So I now have both o2 sensors needed to have the emissions function in the way they were intended , kinda .
I don't have a cat in my exhaust system so getting the correct inputs from the rear sensor is the issue . I have tried the spark plug anti fouling spacer trick but nothing is working so far .

What i get is the p0141 code in combo with a p0325 and p0330 . Started with two spacers on back sensor , went to one and now none but still the codes ........

Anybody else have or have had issues like this before ?