Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

was this ebay deal too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was this ebay deal too good to be true?

well I live in WA where 4runners cost a lot. and I've been watching the market for 3rd gen manual trans 4runners, especially one with a supercharger and rear diff lock. well one of the auctions I had been watching just ended and I can't believe what the winner got for his money! Is this normal in other parts of the country, or did the seller of this 4runner just get ripped off royally?
what does it cost to ship a vehicle across country, is this legal to buy something
at a distance and ship it
anyway i hope to hear some comments on the final price for this runner.

here's the link.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:48 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet if that were sold in WA it wouldn't go for less than $12,000! I think the buyer STOLE that from the STEALER who sold it. Congrats to the winner. At that price, it'd be worth it to fly there and drive it back!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Wow, nice ride AND price! They probably didn't give much for it in trade to begin with though...Wish I were still looking for one!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM

damn thats a steal!!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that dealer should have set a higher reserve, i would go as far to say thats a ebay rape, my 97 was 7300 and it was perfect, didnt have the s/c or e-locker tho, and i think i got a pretty good deal.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Well it does have 116,024 miles on it, but then again it is superchargered.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

I say thats a steal.
I bought my runner for 10K mint and it was a 97 with 77K at the time.
No S/C or E-Locker.
That thing with mileage should have been either 10k or up.
Who ever got it is very lucky.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i see those in california going within the $12k-$14k range, its a 1999 thats a good deal for sure no way i would sell that for under 10k i think the dealer just wanted it moved for that price or didnt think that it would ever go for that little
Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 PM

yeah, there are some very good deals to be found on ebay. I recently picked up my 2000 5spd v6 4x4 4runner with 120k for 7k even out of texas. Its in amazing shape, better than the other 3 i have.

And fyi, if your dead set on a stupidcharger, buy a runner that dosent have a blower and then get one and put it on yourself, then you know it hasnt been running lean its entire life.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Good luck to the owner, carfax came back NOT clean:

07/08/2007

Florida
Police Report

Accident reported
in Daytona Beach

Buyer beware!!

Also, you will typically find vehicles that are in mild climate areas such as Oregon, Washington, Cali, etc go for a higher price. Reason being they are often in much better shape, and at a lower risk for salt damage. Depending on where in FL the truck is, it may have a higher risk for salt/corrosion damage, as well as sun damage ie fading, cracking, etc etc.

Still, that 4Runner is a great deal. And most things on Ebay go for much less than they are actually worth.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 AM

I just got my 1998 5spd V-6 Sr5 on ebay for 7,000 with ~115k miles and a recent timing belt/water pump change in perfect shape and with a perfect carfax. There are plenty of deals to be had on ebay. This one could be great, or the owner could be getting a truck that has been ragged on hard... its hard to tell when you buy a FI vehicle... its a big risk.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 AM

that dealer ship is some what close to were i live and yes that was a good buy but that is not that much less then they go for around here. my friend just picked up a 98 with close to the same mileage for 6,500 but it didn't have the s/c or trd package

and if the truck was garage kept or even washed and was waxed a couple of times a year i would not think there would be any rust damage of any kind. because you have to be right on the coast for the ocean salt to really have an affect
Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 96redtoy

and if the truck was garage kept or even washed and was waxed a couple of times a year i would not think there would be any rust damage of any kind. because you have to be right on the coast for the ocean salt to really have an affect
If you were referring to my comment... I meant FI as in forced induction... not Fl as in FL
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

nice job deathcougar finding out the carfax info on that vehicle. Is there a way to do carfax without paying for it?
I am realizing that ebay is an interesting way to find vehicles, how about autozone, what are the major sites where vehicles may be found. has anyone bought a vehicle out-of-state before, and if so, did you fly there to drive it back, or did you have it transported? has anyone bought a vehicle completely sight unseen, were you worried about this
that deal is just too good. I appreciate the tip about installing the s/c afterwards to avoid running lean, however if the s/c is already installed, I am thinking that would save major money.
I am hearing that the s/c alone with install would prob. run over 2k? (just a guess I am not too educated on s/c) and the trd exhaust might be 500-1K? so getting both of these on a 99 for less than 8K woah! yet, it was in an accident (doesn't look like any damage however might be hidden), and maybe hidden rust.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
nice job deathcougar finding out the carfax info on that vehicle. Is there a way to do carfax without paying for it?
I am realizing that ebay is an interesting way to find vehicles, how about autozone, what are the major sites where vehicles may be found. has anyone bought a vehicle out-of-state before, and if so, did you fly there to drive it back, or did you have it transported? has anyone bought a vehicle completely sight unseen, were you worried about this
that deal is just too good. I appreciate the tip about installing the s/c afterwards to avoid running lean, however if the s/c is already installed, I am thinking that would save major money.
I am hearing that the s/c alone with install would prob. run over 2k? (just a guess I am not too educated on s/c) and the trd exhaust might be 500-1K? so getting both of these on a 99 for less than 8K woah! yet, it was in an accident (doesn't look like any damage however might be hidden), and maybe hidden rust.
I've bought cars sight unseen. I've not been burned yet. I use AutoCheck over Carfax, Autocheck is more detailed. The last car I bought was an RX7 that had the same owner since 1990. They sent me detailed photos and video of the car, the car arrived exactly has indicated. Shipping isn't bad, but make sure you read the reviews on the shipping companies. (www.transportreviews.com)
Old 01-13-2008, 08:03 AM

Yeah, I got a subaru off a messageboard a few weeks ago. Sounded great, like really great, so I flew out to pick it up and drive it 700 miles home. As I was pulling away, I got a "by the way, the check engine light might come on because of blah blah blah..."

Seriously messed up. I chased bugs (gremlins, not actual insects) around that car for three weeks, then got lucky and sold it for only a couple hundred less than I had into it.

From here on out, I ONLY buy cars I can check out on my own before making a deposit. It limits my options, but I'm NOT going through that mess again! Last week before I found my Taco, I drove 4 hours each way to see a 4runner I didn't end up getting. I figured it was a cheap price for peace of mind.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by shwuz
Yeah, I got a subaru off a messageboard a few weeks ago. Sounded great, like really great, so I flew out to pick it up and drive it 700 miles home. As I was pulling away, I got a "by the way, the check engine light might come on because of blah blah blah..."

Seriously messed up. I chased bugs (gremlins, not actual insects) around that car for three weeks, then got lucky and sold it for only a couple hundred less than I had into it.

From here on out, I ONLY buy cars I can check out on my own before making a deposit. It limits my options, but I'm NOT going through that mess again! Last week before I found my Taco, I drove 4 hours each way to see a 4runner I didn't end up getting. I figured it was a cheap price for peace of mind.
You were unfortunate to come across a shady seller. It's too bad, but there are good sellers out there too.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Oh yeah, I realize that, I've met some great sellers lately. Hekticwon in Athens, for example was a model seller.

And to his credit, the guy with the subaru did do a lot to try to make it right after this situation went down. But even though I had spent a couple of hours on the phone with him asking questions about the history and condition, there where still things I would have picked up on if I had been able to see it in person. It was just a lesson for me that my eyes are the only ones I trust, regardless of how well intentioned the seller.

And I may well be a little cynical after my last shopping excursion the last few weeks. In Alabama and Atlanta, I found some people who were either astoundingly ignorant about the condition of their car, or criminally misleading. There were cars advertised on CL as "mechanically perfect" that within 5 minutes I was finding $2000 worth of work needed. Again, that's why I look myself.

For the most part, though, I'm a trusting guy. And that's justified, because most people are trustworth. It's still good to get a reality check every once in a while, just to keep you on your toes. Mine was a pretty cheap lesson, all done.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by kmcaprice14
If you were referring to my comment... I meant FI as in forced induction... not Fl as in FL
oh i get it "I" was Not an "L"
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 96redtoy
oh i get it "I" was Not an "L"
roger that

with a supercharger already there.... it seems a bit risky to me, but I'm just cautious

Quick Reply: was this ebay deal too good to be true?