Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Drove a 3.4 Tacoma today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a 3.4 Tacoma today...

I drove a 1996 3.4 6 Cylinder Tacoma today, and absolutely loved it. I couldn't imagine driving a 4 cylinder. We've owned a T100 for 2 years now with the same exact engine in it, and can tell a noticeable difference between the two trucks. Obviously the Tacoma is lighter, and the 3.4 pushes it along quite well. It's a bit sluggish in the T100, but considering the T100 is a full size truck that's a given. The only thing I could even say bad about the V6 was that with it being so light it was quite easy to spin the tires, but hey who says that's a bad thing? The truck was for sale, but the guy in my opinion was extremely high on his price, asking $9,500 for a 96 truck with 110k on it. I think I can get a little lower than that, but to get to my point, I'm sold on the V6, and have no further intention on looking into a 2.7 Taco.

Another thing I have to say about the 4 cylinders is that they lack the ability to pass people. I've never owned a 4 cylinder in my life, but have drove two newer Toyota Celica's with one in it. I can honestly say that I felt in danger for my life while driving, just for the pure fact that If I turned out in front of someone I wouldn't have enough to get going. But then again, this could have something to do with always having a fast car.

-Travis
Old 01-31-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

neck snapping. 3.4 liters of fury.

just dont buy 95.5-97 and avoid the hg problems
Old 01-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah the 3.4s are nice, aren't they?

Old 01-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah the 3.4's are a great engine.

I am confused, you felt that a celica didn't have enough power? Was it a base model or something? I have never had any problems passing anyone in mine!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 PM

I've never owned a 4 cylinder in my life, but have drove two newer Toyota Celica's with one in it. I can honestly say that I felt in danger for my life while driving, just for the pure fact that If I turned out in front of someone I wouldn't have enough to get going. But then again, this could have something to do with always having a fast car.
First off let me say that I am not flaming...

I can tell you from experience that Celica's have enough get up and go for what they are. (Not a Supra of course, but good in its class) I had a 2000 GTS -six speed...and if you knew how to drive it (keeping the valves lifted) and added a few engine mods... it could take a factory V-8...I know because I did it all of the time. Maybe not Cobras, SS, or Z06s but it still had enough get up and go. Now you may have driven a gt or an auto gts...also some years had a bad rev-limiter which slowed them down. So you may have driven a slower one. Also, the Celica is even better once it gets moving because it won’t have the traction problems it will have from a dead start (FWD)…so passing was never a problem…2, 3, or more cars on 2 lane roads…No Problem. Don't even get me started on the older Celica's that can eat your average domestic big block for breakfast.

To my point...

I have the 3.4 in my 4runner and it is a damn good engine, but it can't compare in speed or acceleration even supercharged (unless you have a 4runner built to drag race...or maybe one of gadget's 4runners) to my old Celica which just weighed over 2400lbs...

Ok...stepping down off of my pedestal...

Last edited by Strider; 01-31-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, when I was looking for my tacoma I test drove the V6 first and then the 2.7 liter. Once I got into the one with the 4 banger and gunned it out of the lot I knew that I needed to get behind the wheel of the V6 again. Although I must say, I was impressed with the 2.7....for a four cylinder it does have alot of get-up and go, and from what I've heard, its a pretty darn good little engine.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:43 AM

I can ask a 2.7 tacoma auto is faster then a 3.4... my old tacoma is faster then my runner...
Old 02-01-2004, 06:12 AM

Don't even get me started on the older Celica's that can eat your average domestic big block for breakfast.
One of them was an auto GT and the other was a 5 speed GT, so I'm sure they're are faster ones out there. The same day that I drove the Celica, I had earlier drove a 98 Trans Am with an LT1 in it. Depending on the standard that you're setting for a "fast car", a celica could be considered "fast", but It's not even worth comparing to a 350. What older celica's are you talking about? I'm afraid you have been mistaken, you're not gonna be smokin' any big blocks. Don't mean to start an argument though, just giving my opinion.

Last edited by TRDtacoma107; 02-01-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:30 AM

yeah i really wish i had a 3.4... or even better a v8. if you want toyota and power, get a tundra with the 4.7.

if you think the 2.7 is slow with stock tires try it with 32s. it does have some power though. i can still roast the tires. also gets better gas mileage than the 3.4, which you might want to consider since gas prices are continuing to go up... and up... and up.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:35 AM

Yeah that is definantly one thing I've thought about. I'll most likely be doing a lot of driving this summer to. What have you 3.4 and 2.7 Tacoma owners usually got MPG?
Old 02-01-2004, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

With my 3.4 I usually get about 18 mpg.....dealer told me I'd get 19 or 20 but with the way I drive I think I'm lucky to be getting 18.
I dunno about the 2.7's.....I think I remember him saying they get somewhere in the ballpark of 20-21.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:49 AM

One of them was an auto GT and the other was a 5 speed GT
That explains it! You would have been more satisfied with the GTS...although off of the lot it would hold nothing to the LS1.

I'm afraid you have been mistaken, you're not gonna be smokin' any big blocks.
Here are a few that could, and I know there are more out there because I have seen them at the strip. Especially, the alltracs. With awd they can really connect.
All trac

Furthermore, I have no illusions that a 4 banger will always beat a V8. I am just saying that there are some really fast Celicas out there that can outrun a stock or moderately modified V8.
I have been into drag racing since I was a kid and I know that nothing can beat displacement.

So no harm done, just defending my favorite brand...TOYOTA!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by its2slo
neck snapping. 3.4 liters of fury.

just dont buy 95.5-97 and avoid the hg problems
I didn't know there was a head gasket problem for those years?!?

I just checked www.alldata.com for TSB's and didn't find anything either.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM

I'm definantly gonna make sure I drive a GTS sometime, I wish the one I drove awhile ago was a GTS. Sorry if I insulted your intelligence awhile ago, sometimes your not sure if people really know what they are talking about or not but I totally understand what you're saying. I'm fairly big into drag racing and gotta say that I'm always a big beilever in the american muscle, but I HAVE to admit that I'm a Toyota guy. If I can't get a third gen Camaro with an LS1, give me a 94 Supra . But I'll definantly check out the Celica's you linked to, AWD is very enticing. Wait let me double check though, are the new GTS's Turbo'd? I'm pretty positive they aren't or I'd probably know about it, but wow I'd love to see Toyota do that. Give me 15 psi in a tiny little Celica and I'd take that any day.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:24 PM

Re: Drove a 3.4 Tacoma today...

Originally posted by TRDtacoma107
just for the pure fact that If I turned out in front of someone I wouldn't have enough to get going.

-Travis

This is how I convinced my mom she "needed" the 240hp (yeah right, it goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds) turbo in her volvo.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:43 PM

Re: Drove a 3.4 Tacoma today...

Originally posted by TRDtacoma107
Another thing I have to say about the 4 cylinders is that they lack the ability to pass people. I've never owned a 4 cylinder in my life...
A little contradictory there.

I wouldn't trade my I4 for the V6 anytime...

All I know is that my truck is a truck...not a sports-car.

Jim
Old 02-01-2004, 05:26 PM

Wait let me double check though, are the new GTS's Turbo'd? I'm pretty positive they aren't or I'd probably know about it, but wow I'd love to see Toyota do that. Give me 15 psi in a tiny little Celica and I'd take that any day.
The factory Celica GTS doesn't come charged or turboed, but it has VVTL-i, which is basically valves that "lift" above 4200rpm and make the car feel like it is boosted. This engine is very simular to the n/a Supra and makes around 180hp . The problem is that it has a super-high compression ratio so you have to be very VERY careful to use forced induction. The same supercharger that Toyota makes for the Matrix can be used since it is basically the same engine. There are also a growing number of aftermarket superchargers and turbos for it... Info about it can be found on here it was my home before I came to yotatech.

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence awhile ago, sometimes your not sure if people really know what they are talking about or not but I totally understand what you're saying.
No harm done!

Hey, I understand! Most people on fourms have no idea what they are talking about. Yotatech is different though...for the most part.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 AM

I too test drove a 3.4 Tacoma a few months back. That will be my next truck for sure. Looks like that on edmunds a 99 might be had for 10 to 15 I think. 220 lbs/ft of torque in a 3200 lb truck makes for some quick going when your used to a 22re running 31s but geared for 28s.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:06 AM

Wow I'll be honest with you though I really would not mind throwing a turbo on a newer GTS, it's a very very tempting thought. Doubt that I would run that high of a boost though since you mentioned the high compression ratio, but it's still something in my opinion that could put out some power.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by amusement
I didn't know there was a head gasket problem for those years?!?

I just checked www.alldata.com for TSB's and didn't find anything either.
That's because it was a recall campaign, not a TSB. Many of us have had them replaced under warranty, including myself. Its the passenger side gasket, external flaw. Not all, but some.

Quick Reply: Drove a 3.4 Tacoma today...