Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving lights/Fog lights

Old 04-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving lights/Fog lights

Just got myself a nice, used '99 4Runner and I am looking to produce a bit more forward illumination up front. I bought this as a fishing truck to take into Wyoming and Colorado on the weekends and need more light for those unlit backroads/trails. I'm looking for the best way to mount 2 additional driving lights on my '99 4Runner. Also would be interested in the type/brand of lights that you would recommend. Pics of your set-up would be good as well. Thanks for any and all advice!

P.S. - Great Forum!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The guy i bought my truck from had them mounted on the front bumper like this:

The wiring is a kit I modified to work with a Toyota switch, and it all looks and operates like stock, except I can turn them on anytime, including when the truck is off.

The nice thing about where they are mounted, is the upper bumper piece is plastic, and relatively cheap. That means if I ever want to un-install them i can simply remove them, and get a new upper piece to "fix" the holes.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Get some Hella Micro DE's, they go beside your turn signals and they are very bright! Check out my thread on them:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...s-sale-140455/
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM

DeathCougar,
I like the simplicity...looks good, inexpensive. Much vibration seeing that they are mounted on the plastic?

FoSheezy,
I already have the small fogs there...I think I need something considerably bigger.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of vibration, the plastic is pretty sturdy.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found these when I first got my Runner:

http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com...3/Default.aspx

I haven't bought them yet, but I plan too. I have to finish my De Chrome project first.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not a runner but some hella 500 on my stock bumper
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2slo2go
FoSheezy,
I already have the small fogs there...I think I need something considerably bigger.
Trust me, those Hella's are like 100x brighter than the stock OEM fogs. The difference is amazing, you should try them, you would be very pleased. And plus, you can put HID's in them...

Originally Posted by psraff
I found these when I first got my Runner:

http://www.yellowandbluelighting.com...3/Default.aspx

I haven't bought them yet, but I plan too. I have to finish my De Chrome project first.
That's what I've got, and trust me, you will be very impressed with them. I just got finishing installing 1 HID in the left fog, but unfornately I was too lazy to get the other one in.. lol.. it looks kinda ghetto right now.

Last edited by Fo_SheeZy; 04-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy

That's what I've got, and trust me, you will be very impressed with them. I just got finishing installing 1 HID in the left fog, but unfornately I was too lazy to get the other one in.. lol.. it looks kinda ghetto right now.
Well since we're talking about them, it says it comes with a Toyota switch. I know the fog light end is just plug and play when it comes to the harness. How about the switch side? Is that part of the harness already there? If so, where (basic location, doesn't have to be exact...)?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i got some hella 700s with 100w bulbs they work great and i like how there bigger than the 500s i had

Last edited by Elton; 04-02-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM

Well since we're talking about them, it says it comes with a Toyota switch. I know the fog light end is just plug and play when it comes to the harness. How about the switch side? Is that part of the harness already there? If so, where (basic location, doesn't have to be exact...)?
I remember seeing a switch, I really didn't pay much attention to what was in the bag that was included. Since I already had the OEM fogs, the Micro DE's plugged right into the harness so I didn't have to do any wiring.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
I remember seeing a switch, I really didn't pay much attention to what was in the bag that was included. Since I already had the OEM fogs, the Micro DE's plugged right into the harness so I didn't have to do any wiring.
Well dang... What good are you then?!?!?!?! LOL No problem man! Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i got a oem fog light switch it was like 13 bucks if needed i can dig around my posts for the part #
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
i got a oem fog light switch it was like 13 bucks if needed i can dig around my posts for the part #
No, I don't need one, thanks though. My questions were more of because I don't have OEM fogs, where does the switch physically go on my dash, and I would THINK the harness is already there for me to just plug the switch into when the time comes...

...Just thought of something... Toyota fogs work only with headlights are on, on low beam right? So will I have to deal with rewiring if I want them to come on separate of the headlights. I remember my brother and I rewired his Supras and my Celica All-Trac to do it, but that was a lifetime ago... Are 4Runners the same way?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2slo it is hard to beat the Hella 500s, they are affordable and lightweight and have great light output. I found mine for $43.80 on ebay with free shipping. I believe they can be upgraded to 100w bulbs but do not quote me on it. Death cougar has a good mounting suggestion -otherwise you will catch the fever and decide you need an ARB bumper to have a solid mount for fog lights! (doctor I am sick and need some more Yota upgrades....)

If you want to use the stock mounting location for a stock sized light and wired up as is, do as FoSheezy suggests and investigate the DE lights that mount up just like replacements. I believe if you "search" you can find before and after shots of the improvement in the light from that small sized unit.

psraff-because you never had factory fogs to look "stock" you would need a replacement stalk for your steering column that includes the fog setting. But as you point out then you are stuck with the stock fog light wiring and some have suggested it is not up to the task of heavy wattage lighting. Death cougar has it right in that he has wired his up to turn on at his convenience instead of in conjunction with the headlights. A little more work-a lot more custom touch.(not hard to do either)

There is a Toyota fog light switch that should pop into one of your open cutouts (left of steering column and above fuse access door) and is easy to wire up and runs about $5-$20 depending on the deal you get at the dealership.

I am wiring up my Hella 500s now and have a thread regarding the switch itself over on t4r.org which also serves the 4Runner community. I am linking to a 4x4wire thread so this is an often discussed issue.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth

psraff-because you never had factory fogs to look "stock" you would need a replacement stalk for your steering column that includes the fog setting. But as you point out then you are stuck with the stock fog light wiring and some have suggested it is not up to the task of heavy wattage lighting. Death cougar has it right in that he has wired his up to turn on at his convenience instead of in conjunction with the headlights. A little more work-a lot more custom touch.(not hard to do either)
ahhhh I didn't know where a stock Runner has the fog light switch. The kit that I posted before says it has a "Toyota Switch" so yeah, you're right, it will most likely go to the left of the sterring wheel in one of the spare spaces. I like this idea better, anyway.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 AM

It comes with a factory toyota switch that fits right into one of the holes on the dash and you have to do some basic wiring but it is pretty easy.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2slo2go
Just got myself a nice, used '99 4Runner and I am looking to produce a bit more forward illumination up front. I bought this as a fishing truck to take into Wyoming and Colorado on the weekends and need more light for those unlit backroads/trails. I'm looking for the best way to mount 2 additional driving lights on my '99 4Runner. Also would be interested in the type/brand of lights that you would recommend. Pics of your set-up would be good as well. Thanks for any and all advice!

P.S. - Great Forum!

I would have to recomment the IPF 968 because they function as both fog lgihts and driving lights. Don't take my word for it though, look up IPF 968 on this forum and you will see how awesome these lights are. As of right now, they are still on sale at Costco for $90 and here is the link.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

For the switch, just get these:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/swi...ted_rocker.asp

It is the stock Toyota switch, which will fit perfectly into the dash. As for mounting, the cheapest way to do it would be to drill the bumper. Or since you are taking it fishing instead of rock crawling or hardcore wheeling, you can just get yourself a bull bar from Hunter Wholesale on eBay and mount the lights on to that. Hope this helps.

-austin
Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Just so everyone is clear, IIRC, the purpose of a driving light is different from a fog light. Fog lights are mounted low and point the light down and out, which is meant to be used for foggy situations where you need to shine under the fog and get the least amount of reflection. Driving lights are for mostly off-road or back country situations where you have no surrounding light. They are mounted at the headlight level or higher. The output is far greater than fog lights and shines directly in front. You cannot turn them on when on-road, unless you want to blind others. Fogs, you can have on at all times.

Just thought I should clear this up.

2slo - Get the Hella's.

Last edited by cackalak han; 04-02-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Hey guys... I've never seen them down south but up here in Alaska and Canada (parts I've been in) these are everywhere:

http://www.lightforceusa.com/

Here's a PDF showing you what they can do from their Aussie Site:
http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/DRIVINGLIGHT.pdf

Any semi truck will have them who drives on our roads. If a truck has extra lights on them they are these. Yes, they cost $$ But if you want it done right, everyone swears by them.

You can buy different covered lenses for them depending on what use use them for:
http://off-roadlights.com/xcart/manu...nufacturerid=1

There is a video of them shooting these leses with a shotgun with no damage to them (using birdshot, but still). Also beating on them with a hammer...

Here's a link of them intalling them on a 92 Toy and a nice review for them.
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...rce/index.html

Guys, I would take the time to look them over. I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Last edited by psraff; 04-02-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving lights/Fog lights