Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving in 4Hi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 08:18 AM
DSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RTdawgs
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THEIR MANUAL AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE ANSWERED IN THERE.

ITS PUT THERE FOR A REASON AND THERE IS LOTS OF IMPORTANT INFO IN IT.

READ IT, YOU'LL LEARN.

(this is not pointed at anyone, if you think it is, youre wrong.)

(this goes for 4WD questions, tranny questions, type of fluids, etc etc)

NO NEED TO GET ON THE WWW AND POST A QUESTION THAT WOULD ONLY TAKE A SECOND TO ANSWER IN YOUR MANUAL.

:pat:
Wow, whatever happened to , "There is no such thing as a stupid question."

While I may not have trouble interpreting my manual, I can see how others may especially after owning many different types of 4WD. I don't think we should put anyone else down for asking any type of question, especially since that is what YOTATECH is all about.

Anyone who has not read their manual in my mind is a dumb*ss, but that doesn't mean that questions don't come up about things your manual covers.

I want to says thanks again to everyone at YotaTech who makes this site what it is by asking questions and putting in your 2 cents.

DSP
Old 01-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I've been trying to figure out a way to say this without offending anybody so if I do I apologize, it is not my intent. Please take this as constructive critisizm.

Some of you guys need to lighten up, this is the internet afterall ! What RTdawgs said was not that bad. I admit he could have said it in a more diplomatic way, but his suggestion is still a valid one. I believe his response was one out of frustration. This is the same type of thing that happens when people don't search first and ask a question that has been answered a million times (I realize the search was down at the time this question was posted, so it's ok). People say "if you're not going to contribute to the thread, then don't respond." Well, that's what happened to this thread. The people who have been around the longest and know what they are talking about do not respond and the only people who do respond are the people who think they know what they are talking about, unintentionally giving out bad info. I see this happen all the time.

There is some incorrect info in this thread. Something that I have learned from this thread is that different years have different transmissions that operated differently and one must pay attention to who is responding and what type of transmission they have. Three generations of 4runners are represented in this thread and even within generations there are differences. This is where the confusion is coming from and skyrat briefly touched on this a little while back.

Please don't take this the wrong way, yotatech is still the nicest forum on the internet.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 4x4Fink
You come on here and ask the experts...whether I have a manual or not, I was asking if it was COMPLETELY necessary to shift into neutral. I realize that the manual states how to do it...I was just asking a simple question.
Fink, I routinely shift into 4low while moving very slowly and I have no problems. Here's some more reading where somebody looked it up in the manual and found that you can shift while moving: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=4lo

Keep in mind this may not apply to other generations or other transmissions.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with Robinhood...RTDawgs was just makin a comment and I never intended to get on him for saying it.

Thanks for all the info guys and I even learned some stuff in the process...thanks again YotaTech!

Fink
Old 01-19-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by RTdawgs
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THEIR MANUAL AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT CAN BE ANSWERED IN THERE.

ITS PUT THERE FOR A REASON AND THERE IS LOTS OF IMPORTANT INFO IN IT.

READ IT, YOU'LL LEARN.

(this is not pointed at anyone, if you think it is, youre wrong.)

(this goes for 4WD questions, tranny questions, type of fluids, etc etc)

NO NEED TO GET ON THE WWW AND POST A QUESTION THAT WOULD ONLY TAKE A SECOND TO ANSWER IN YOUR MANUAL.

:pat:
If you read my posts, you would see why there is confusion. The manual, at least for 2000, is not very clear on using 4x4.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:52 AM

Put your Yota's in 4wd, turn the wheels to fulllock, start moving a little and push the clutch in or put your truck in neutral. It'll feel as if the brakes are being applied, thats how much binding is going on, now go down the freeway at 50mph, and do the same thing. Which has more binding to it?

Driving at highspeeds in 4wd IMO is pointless. 1st of all in icy, snow situations you shouldn't being driving that fast. 50+ on an icy freeway is asking for trouble. 35-40 is all I'd be safe with, and I get tired of being passed by soccer moms, doing 60mph, and then down the road they're off to the side. I personally do not use 4wd unless neccesary, In town anywhere everywhere 2wd, I learned not to depend on 4wd, and adjust my driving style accordingly. I use 4wd if 2wd can't keep me moving, or I'm having a hardtime getting up the hill down the street.

I have also driven about 75 in 4wd before too (on purpose). The thing I don't think people are thinking about is at those speeds your on a freeway which generally don't have sharp turns. Therefore the drive train is probably not being stressed to the point of failure, I would agree its probably not the best thing in the world to do either. Now if you were driving in town doing 90* turns, all the time on your way to work on dry pavement, you'd be subjecting the t-case to much more binding then freeway speeds, due to the great amount of diffrent tires speeds.

Just my 2 cents.... Just use 4wd when you need it, and use 2wd when you don't you'll be fine.

Last edited by Chuki; 01-19-2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

That's why I want the AWD auto tranny then I can use it when the roads are slick with just a little ice,4wd I do use up to around 50 when the roads are snowy.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:05 PM

4x4Fink I hope you were kidding too!
: I am totally not kidding. I have jumped the runner 20+' off sand dunes with smooth transition in 4 low cruising between 30-50+ mph. I have been in the thick snow, towing snowboarders with a rope and spinning the tyres all the way, and look down and the spedo will easily read 40+ mph... I have drove steep grades in 4 low on snow ice hwys at 60 + no problems... I havent been on this site in a long time because I have a CBR600RR. I recently got it up to 142mph no problem...do I need NO thank you.. I have been doing these types of driving for 12 years now with no problems... wussies f*kin wheel that beyotch..... sorry. ... Anyone wanna go for a ride?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by cvlighthouse
: I am totally not kidding. I have jumped the runner 20+' off sand dunes with smooth transition in 4 low cruising between 30-50+ mph. I have been in the thick snow, towing snowboarders with a rope and spinning the tyres all the way, and look down and the spedo will easily read 40+ mph... I have drove steep grades in 4 low on snow ice hwys at 60 + no problems... I havent been on this site in a long time because I have a CBR600RR. I recently got it up to 142mph no problem...do I need NO thank you.. I have been doing these types of driving for 12 years now with no problems... wussies f*kin wheel that beyotch..... sorry. ... Anyone wanna go for a ride?
I think he was asking if you were kidding because you can do some serious damage to your tranny...driving 60+ in 4Low. Insane, IMHO...
(driving skill is completely another issue)

60+?!?! Are you sure that wasn't 4Hi?

Jim
Old 01-21-2004, 06:24 PM

4 low baby Tranny is not near serious damage. Who ever told you that blew smoke up your arse. I mean how many stories have you heard about where someone blew a tranny driving to fast in 4 low? Maby I should start a new post..
Old 01-22-2004, 04:44 AM
lee
Contributing Member

is 60 mph possible in 4lo?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by lee
is 60 mph possible in 4lo?
Unlikely. Do the math. What RPM's are you at in 2wd at that speed? Your RPM's would be at least double that in low range.

Last edited by Glenn; 01-22-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

right, so what the heck is cvlighthouse talking about..

he must be
Old 01-22-2004, 08:03 AM

Ok I was wrong... The fastest that you can go in 4 Low is 45mph...50 mph and your at redline in 5th gear....
Old 01-23-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Ok, I've been trying to figure out a way to say this without offending anybody so if I do I apologize, it is not my intent. Please take this as constructive critisizm.

Some of you guys need to lighten up, this is the internet afterall ! What RTdawgs said was not that bad. I admit he could have said it in a more diplomatic way, but his suggestion is still a valid one. I believe his response was one out of frustration. This is the same type of thing that happens when people don't search first and ask a question that has been answered a million times (I realize the search was down at the time this question was posted, so it's ok). People say "if you're not going to contribute to the thread, then don't respond." Well, that's what happened to this thread. The people who have been around the longest and know what they are talking about do not respond and the only people who do respond are the people who think they know what they are talking about, unintentionally giving out bad info. I see this happen all the time.

There is some incorrect info in this thread. Something that I have learned from this thread is that different years have different transmissions that operated differently and one must pay attention to who is responding and what type of transmission they have. Three generations of 4runners are represented in this thread and even within generations there are differences. This is where the confusion is coming from and skyrat briefly touched on this a little while back.

Please don't take this the wrong way, yotatech is still the nicest forum on the internet.
Not that it matters but I agree....just didn't think it was appropriate to post the message that Dawgs did. Maybe he was just in a bad mood or something.... I was kinda surprised coming from a Senior Member. I personally thought the stuff on this post was rather interesting as I didn't realize there were that many different tranny/4wd combinations.
Anyway, chaulk this one up as done, over, finito.... sh@! happens!

Last edited by Sass69; 01-23-2004 at 07:58 AM.