Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do I "need" the URD 7th injector kit w/ the Magnuson SuperCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I "need" the URD 7th injector kit w/ the Magnuson SuperCharger?

New here (yep, first post) and had a question about the URD 7th injector kit. I actually asked this on the Tacoma World forum, but go no response.

I went ahead and ordered both the Super Charger and the 7th injector kit from URD yesterday for my 03 Tacoma. However, I'm reading a few conflicting thoughts on whether or not I actually need the 7th injector with just the Super Charger (no smaller pulley).

I'm not looking to "tune" anything, just want to plug and play. Meaning, bolt up the Super Charger and go. I ordered the 7th injector as I thought I read somewhere that I needed it with the SC. Then I read somewhere that I only need the 7th injector if I go with the smaller 2.2 pulley.

1) Can I run just the SC without the 7th injector and no other mods? (I'm at sea level)
2) If I DO have to install the 7th injector, can I just install it and drive? I'm not in the mood to "tune" anything. I saw the tuning tutorial and it's just not something that interests me.

Can someone who has experience with the SC on their 1st gen chime in?

Back in 1999 I had a brand new Tacoma and had a 1st gen SC installed at the dealer with no other modifications and it ran fine so long as I ran 91 octane. So I'm just a little confused as far as what I need.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Indetrucks; 09-14-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 PM
mdh

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can not claim to be an expert at all but I installed the 7th injector on my 3rd gen 4 runner as a safety. I didn't have the intent to tune as I am not looking for maximum power, just a more drivable / usable truck. I did install an egt probe and a wideband meter and I can say that without the extra injector things were getting pretty hot and I was running fairly lean under boost with California 91 octane.
i decided to add water/methanol into the mix and more recently I have unplugged the 7th injector and have been using wmi to keep things in check.
I can say that with the extra info I get from afr and egt I would not feel comfortable running without the extra octane and cooling the extra injector or meth provide.
I think you would generally be ok without anything extra but if you have it why not run it? I have never tuned (yet) and for a while just ran the 7th injector with zero issues.

Last edited by mdh; 09-14-2017 at 09:21 PM.