Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

deckplate mod questiion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deckplate mod questiion

My 97 3.4L 4runner is mostly a street ride for an every day driver. i have read into the deckplate mod but am wondering if it will benefit me. form what i understand is that alll it really does is creates a removaible cover for the airbox? so is the performance gain only in effect when the deckplate is open? Is it bad to leave it open when its raining? I will not be going through huge puddles just driving through rain. is there any performance gain with the plate screwed on? thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

I leave mine open in the rain all the time with no water issues.
Puddles and all.

Open = Gain
Closed = Stock Box

Daily driving is fine
Mine has been open ever since I got it accept when I was off-roading.
Makes good use when trying to merge into traffic.
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
it rains here alot and ive had zero issues the deckplate mod along with the isr mod are awesome gains are noticeable
Contributing Member

Well the only time its going to change your performance for the better or worse is with it open. With closed its jsut like stock. I just installed mine this week, maybe a little better low end hp but my MPG is shot now, but maybe not just from the deckplate. Lots of people get better performance and better mpgs where as others dont.

No its not going to be a problem for the rain. Even a few small puddles arent going to be trouble either

The thing with the deckplate is if it didnt help you just put it in and your back to normal.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 PM

Well the only time its going to change your performance for the better or worse is with it open. With closed its jsut like stock. I just installed mine this week, maybe a little better low end hp but my MPG is shot now, but maybe not just from the deckplate. Lots of people get better performance and better mpgs where as others dont.

No its not going to be a problem for the rain. Even a few small puddles arent going to be trouble either

The thing with the deckplate is if it didnt help you just put it in and your back to normal.
Make sure your MAF sensor is clean. I've read that issues can crop up with Amsoil and gauze type filters from over oiling... and from it just plain being dirty from too much grit, etc. getting through for various reasons. Oil and grit build up on the sensor and causes problems with the way it reads, causing fuel mileage and performance decreases.

Only time I've had trouble with water getting in is when I've forgotten to put the lid back on while washing the engine.

So, what is the ISR mod and where can info be found on it?

Last edited by SteveD0603; 02-10-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteveD0603
Make sure your MAF sensor is clean. I've read that issues can crop up with Amsoil and gauze type filters from over oiling... and from it just plain being dirty from too much grit, etc. getting through for various reasons. Oil and grit build up on the sensor and causes problems with the way it reads, causing fuel mileage and performance decreases.
one good reason to buy a trueflow filter
Old 02-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yea I know my MAF is clean I checked it out when I had the box out, I know its not covered in oil or dirt. I have had my TrueFlow on for several months now, and my problem is further being discussed in another thread so I dont want to hijack this one.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, what is the ISR mod and where can info be found on it?
Dang... if only there was a function on the forum. Or a tech section on the forum would be cool. But a would be cool 'cause then people could research questions and not have to wonder if there was a tech section. 'Cause without a function, then we'd have tons of threads with the same information, and that would really be a pain for people that did use a function.

So, if there was a button, where would you put it? Probably up there on the top line huh?

huh... weird.
As practice... one of those things up there is clickable and has an answer behind it.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

good job mark :bigclap:
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Mark....atta boy
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 AM

I lost the blinking graphics from my old obnoxious SEARCH! post, so I had to make new ones.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM

Gee, am I detecting a slight bit of sarcasm here?! Ouch! Man, it's a wonder newbies stick around.

Originally Posted by midiwall
Dang... if only there was a function on the forum. Or a tech section on the forum would be cool.
where would you put it? Probably up there on the top line huh?

Last edited by SteveD0603; 02-12-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Well... did you search?

We go through this ALL the time around here. The forum is full of information and full of duplicate threads with duplicate information. All of that duplication makes it harder to find anything on the forum. That causes people to bitch and moan and that starts a viscous cycle. All of it starts with people NOT searching.

If I search on "ISR MOD" or look in the technical write-up section (did you know there was one?) the answer is there. If I/we spend a message explaining it to you here, then that becomes a conversation and it again creates yet another thread with the same information in it.

YotaTech is possibly THE most newbie friendly Toyota forum on the net. We have a lot of patience for new folks in explaining technical concepts. We remember when we didn't know.

We only ask one thing... SEARCH FIRST. Then if you have questions, pop up and say "hey, I read about the ISR mod, but I don't understand how this helps". THAT is a question that I will be HAPPY to spend HOURS explaining... and I have.

Wanna get REALLY berated? Pop over to Pirate or the national TTORA board and ask about the ISR mod.

I know the technical content of this forum pretty well, and by the "what is" question you had, it's obvious that you didn't even try to search. It's not like you asked "what are the advantages of a 4-link suspension". That kind of info is here as well, but it's buried and not easy to find in a search.

So... while you we're sitting there fuming, did you happen to notice that amidst my cocky/arrogant/pissy post, that I actually gave you a link to your answer?

Last edited by midiwall; 02-12-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Yup, have to agree as a newbie myself that this forum is super friendly and helpful. Just don't ask the same questions that have been answered hundreds of times by these people. Ya gotta do your homework and spend a few minutes searching to see if someone else has run a similar thread. If you search ISR mod, you will likely get 50 pages of threads about it. It is simply a mod to remove the intake silencer on the intake. It is in FAQ's and tech section. I beleive it aids throttle response.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Well... did you search?
So... while you we're sitting there fuming, did you happen to notice that amidst my cocky/arrogant/pissy post, that I actually gave you a link to your answer?
I only asked a simple question about something someone had mentioned in this thread, and then BAM! I get blindsided by your ranting about searching. So no, I did not notice because I was too pissed off at your sarcastic, smart aleck, nasty, rantings. Next time I just won't ask to avoid taking a chance on setting any of you self proclaimed Yotatech veterans/experts off! Sheeze! If you want to keep the peace in the future, you might consider giving your suggestions in a little bit nicer manner. It came off as just a little bit offensive that time. :complain: Guess I should say thank you for giving me the link.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

whatsup with all these noob questions. I vote the deckplate mod should go into the FAQ newbie section!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2^ Just be happy it happened on this board and not some of the other ones. Searching should be the first choice and only as a last resort should you ask about a topic that's been beat like a dead horse.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:45 AM

I'll be stoopid and press this button one more time.

I only asked a simple question...
So... you didn't search first then, right?

I've been online since the late 70's and I don't think that I've EVER asked a question on a BBS, usenet, mailing list, forum, etc. until I searched first to see if it had been answered. It's just proper 'netiquette.

Guess I should say thank you for giving me the link.
You're welcome.

Read up, and if you'd like more backgrounder I'd be happy to fill you in.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Location: Ocean Beach, CA Five square miles surrounded by reality.
i've never put the cap on mine since i did the mod and havent had any problems. granted i havent crossed any 3 ft deep rivers or anyhting, but i've driven in rain and snow many times.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

If you want a nicer answer next time, try asking here.

Quick Reply: deckplate mod questiion