Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Death or Resurrection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no question if I'm going to fix this vehicle anymore. It's going to happen reguardless of the cost. But i can't be too picky with the small things, the fuse box clamps broke away along with the little vacuum reluator box behind it, I will probably just jury rig it. I just want to get something going here with these body guys.

Does anyone have any advice for buying aftermarket bolt-on parts from the internet? I noticed several websites offer different grades of materials such as 'value' or 'certified.' Should a person be cautious about a $80 front fender?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With aftermarket stuff there are usually some variances with hole alignment, sometimes brackets or other mounting holes are missing, stampings can be a little out of spec too. Some of the lower grade parts have flaws, however some factory OEM parts we get at our body shop are just repackaged aftermarket parts. I would make sure you know their return policy in case there is a major defect in whatever you're ordering, when you get the part look it over really well for any differences or missing brackets/mounting holes or damage from shipping. Once painted, you might want to coat the back with some undercoat and/or Rust Fighter to keep things from developing metal cancer down the road.

Too bad about your local community college, that's where I got my start in auto collision and we fixed lots of cars cheap since they didn't charge labor, but since it was through a school it did take longer than a production shop and the quality of the paint and some of the repair was a little less than professional sometimes. One suggestion if you have someone else weld your new radiator support and inner fender... make sure they know how to do automotive mig welding and they don't just blaze a 6" long continuous weld on some of the thinner metal and cause it to warp or distort, then you will surely have fitment issues! I'd have a competent shop do the big stuff and then leave the easier things like fender, bumper, grille, hood, etc for you.

That's my bit of Saturday night advice, I still say you should look at doing the Tacoma front end conversion! Here is a picture of somebody's:
Old 05-14-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the main thing is to get the frame fixed. as far as everything else. it depends on ho much money you want to spend and how good it looks.

some chain a concret pole and some time and you can pull the radiator support enough where its steet legal and safe to drive.

as far as replacing the support you would have to cut it out, get another one in great shape and then the ideal way is to weld it in but with some thinking and some time and work you could bolt one in
Old 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Resurrection for sure. I like the idea of the Taco front end! Never have seen that one before.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re-buildable? yes. worth it... maybe, maybe not. There is a lot there that is not just un bolt and bolt on a new one, if you could cut and weld maybe but paying to have it done is going to get pricey.
4Runners aren’t that much, a very quick CL search finds a few around $4,000
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2385780819.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...385424835.html
http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/2363090428.html
granted yours looked very nice so maybe worth it if you are looking for a project... and hey good time to add an ARB or do the Tacoma front end.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Mmmmmmm $4000

I really need help on finding some bolt on parts. Is aftermarket ok or is used the way to go? Maybe its me but a look in the classifieds and craigslist--especially in my area--isn't yielding too many results. But hell, maybe shipping will kill me anyway. I am so indecisive and this sucks.

Last edited by madbomber08; 05-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by yotaluver
Re-buildable? yes. worth it... maybe, maybe not. There is a lot there that is not just un bolt and bolt on a new one, if you could cut and weld maybe but paying to have it done is going to get pricey.
4Runners aren’t that much, a very quick CL search finds a few around $4,000
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2385780819.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...385424835.html
http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/2363090428.html
granted yours looked very nice so maybe worth it if you are looking for a project... and hey good time to add an ARB or do the Tacoma front end.
Yes, it is orginially an Arizona vehicle so it's in very nice shape for 175,000 miles. I just can't justify selling this thing as it is for $1500 or so and then paying $5500 for something not nearly as nice or what I want. When I fix it, although, it is going to be fixed right. I will not stand chopping and jury rigging the big stuff. And since I'm going to be sticking all this money into it, and the bumper is already trashed, an ARB or Outdoor Logic sounds pretty neat. G-darn I wish I had more tools and welding skills!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
might be worth telling the insurance co...
Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM

I bet you could dig up those parts from a u-pull salvage yard or craigslist for 1/4 of those prices. Used parts are far better than aftermarket, used is still toyota. aftermarket is Mexico/China. not the same part, just looks the same. I've fought for hours on aftermarket crap at my old body shop job. I hated that crap, it never lined up exactly the same, make your own holes type fixes needed all the time. Stick to OEM even if it is used. That core support/frame can be pulled out and hammered back into alignment, it is semi-flimsy and easy to bend. You got it ready to go to the frame shop. Shouldn't be over 300-400 or so just to tug it all out. I see no reason to cut & weld. Look hard enough and you'll find a fender/hood in the same color. that would be sweet and worth shipping, solid oem down to the paint!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by yotaluver
might be worth telling the insurance co...
don't have collision insurance
Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say most of that stuff you could do yourself. I don't know if I'd simply repair rather than replace the rad support though, you never know how that will affect things if you get into another accident, but it's possible it could be just fine. I'd go with the used OEM parts IF they didn't have rust or a lot of damage on them. We get used stuff in all the time that is rusted or has a lot of damage and we send it all back, not cool using junk for a repair. Some shops might just buzz it down and put a shiny coat of paint on it only to have it rot underneath later on. If you do go with used parts, maybe see if you can inspect them before they put them on so you can see what kind of condition they are in to begin with. As I said before, I'd have the major stuff done by a shop and then the rest is bolt on and minor adjustments after that. Paint will be extra once you're done but you could easily shop around on that, charging the A/C can be done anywhere. You've already done most of the work, ie you've done the "remove" part on most of the estimate, and the "replace" on a lot of it is just bolt on stuff that is easy. Did they say if they would lower the cost since you've done most of the removal already? I say cross off everything you think you can do and ask them for another estimate for the big stuff only.

One of the techs at work today fixed a Monte Carlo with pretty much the exact damage as on your 4runner, replaced the radiator support and almost the entire left upper rail (inner fender pretty much) and had it ready for the painters by 2pm including measuring and pulling it straight.

You can do this, not in an afternoon but fixing your vehicle is possible. Also, you'll be able to point to it and say "I fixed that".

Last edited by pattycakes77; 05-23-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 AM

try searching this site: www.car-parts.com you can find nearly any part you will need on that site. all parts are graded by condition which should help as long as the shops list them honestly. i have gotten a lot of parts through that search site.

good luck
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 PM

I'm not on here to to much, spend most of my time on T4R, BUT IMO.. TACO FRONT END.. they look sick, I'm sure there's some write ups on here, but if not there are a few on T4R.org, I myself am planning to do that to mine- parts are cheap!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Still waiting on a couple of estimates. I really wish I had some more expertise in this area or that one of you fellers who knows a bit about welding was near me. I just want it done right and want the finished product to look GOOD. Nothing half-assed, otherwise I'm going to be one unhappy camper.

IMO, the newer taco front end is not all that pretty. I'd rather change the look to some 99-02 headlights with a satoshi grill mod and an outdoor logic bumper. Who knows what will happen I've got to take care of the "big" stuff first.

P.S. how do I tag words with this thread so when people search something this comes up?

Last edited by madbomber08; 05-22-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than having a body shop pull the front suspension back forward and straighten the frame, the rest is easily done at home. Maybe take the body panels to the same shop and have them shot with paint.

(fit them before paint, remove them and take them to the shop for paint. Also take a current panel with you for a color match)

Time to make it better for less.

Last edited by Gerdo; 05-22-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Would this be like something I would need?
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM

that taco front end conversion is sick. never seen one, but thats not saying much
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM

I got another estimate. $5100 for everything. The guy looked for a whole front clip and said he found one in Joplin, Mizz. The first estimate of $4000 was only to try and straighten the apron. I looked on car-part.com and found a couple of front clips in Omaha, NE for around $1650. And since I or my family members don't have a huge truck and a huge trailer, is a front end assembly even shippable?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Where in the midwest are you located? I don't have a welder, but I'll help you source parts and could probably tow your 4Runner to a shop.

If you're in northwest IL, I know Rt.14 Auto has a 4Runner in the yard, but I can't remember if the front end is good. http://www.route14autoparts.com/
Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Sorry for the past month of inactivity. It has been getting fixed by a toyota dealer for pretty much the whole past month it seems like and just went to check it out today and....BOOM it's done! I just have to wait until tomorrow for the billing. Yippee, right? I will hopefully get some pictures up tomorrow in the time when I'm not looking it over to make sure it's damned perfect. I'm so pumped to get this truck back!

I also figured that it's time to quit listening to Dad and all of his "leave it stock" talk. I'm old enough now do make my own decisions about making it look bad to the bone. Now that I'm done venting...hopefully I'll get the pictures up tomorrow. Ya never know guys, this whole project could turn into a whole rebuild/build thread! I might need a little persuasion here and there but I know you Yotatech fellers can talk me into it. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by madbomber08; 07-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Death or Resurrection?