Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Death or Resurrection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death or Resurrection?

Well, kind of screwed up guys. Thought I was pretty cool going a wee bit to fast on a gravel road at night. All of a sudden a dead end turn showed up with a lonely pole sticking up right in line with the road in the ditch. Luckily I slowed down to maybe 25 miles an hour and hit it.

I really don't know what to do. I really don't want to part with it because i drove 16 hours to get it. At this point i think it would be silly to just sell it as it is because I won't even get anything for it -- maybe $2000 if I'm lucky....

Should I try and rebuilt it? When the wrecker towed it home I was a little less then happy when I found out it actually still ran and drove. For all you body/fender guys out there, if i would try to scavenge most of the parts myself, what would it cost to have someone else put the pieces back together?

Any input is greatly appreciated. School is near the end and to be honest I'm actually looking forward to rebuilding it as I have never dealt with this before. The ideal situation would be for me, myself, to rebuild this. Although, I don't have the tools or the space. Or should I let this thing go as it is?

P.S. Didn't turn it into insurance, therefore no salvage title on the vehicle for what it's worth....

driver front

passenger front

Last edited by madbomber08; 05-04-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Picture no worky
Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM

finally. hopefully that works...
Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM

[obligatory] That'll buff out. [/obligatory]

Seriously though, that's a bummer. That's a nice lookin' Runner!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Chop the front end off and turn it into a hardcore trail rig
Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you were surprised it still started and ran?? have you seen the Top Gear clips, and what they did to that Hilux? That sucks big time either way man. I would say build it up into a trail rig, especially if it still runs.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I hope your head didn`t hurt to bad!!

The question is if and how bad the frame might be pushed not that it couldn`t be fixed.

If you need to pay to have it done it will get expensive! If you do most of the work yourself it might be possible to get all the parts put them on. Have the frame pulled.

It all depends on time and what you want to spend.

You could sell it like it sits also.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
First things first. Take it to a frame shop and check the frame for damage. If it is damaged and they can fix it, do it.
If it's not damaged, fix it. The toughest thing your facing is getting the inner fender well straightened out. After that, you'll need to replace the core support and the bolt new parts on.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
First things first. Take it to a frame shop and check the frame for damage. If it is damaged and they can fix it, do it.
If it's not damaged, fix it. The toughest thing your facing is getting the inner fender well straightened out. After that, you'll need to replace the core support and the bolt new parts on.

Scuba, that was my first thought. I don't know how long it takes or what kind of money it would take to hook it up to a frame puller but, regardless, I don't have near the type of tools for that. That brings me to my next question. Do you think it's alright to drive it 5 miles into town to the dealer. I would obviously try to clean it up a little before I'd do it. As far as the radiator, even though it's bent, I opened the cap the other day and there's still antifreeze sitting at the top. As you can see from the driver side wheel, it may be pushed back a squeeze and I sure as hell don't want any wheels falling off.

I just don't have access to a trailer that easily and even then, the 1998 dodge dakota we have isn't the best puller....

I'm tempted to drive the sucker to the dealer, if i start hearing anything out of the ordinary or it starts to warm up, I'll just pull it off the road and worry about it then.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Why would you take it to the dealer??

Do what Scuba said and get the frame checked out. If it needs to be pulled have it done by a pro. The body damage can be done yourself for sure. All you need is a socket set, maybe some wrenches and screwdrivers...a Haynes or Chilton's might help...and as always Yotatech can probably get you through it. Junkyard will work for parts, or check here for members parting out or upgrading rigs. Rockauto.com is also a good cheap source. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Scuba. Your worst areas would be frame straightening, and getting a new inner fender and core support welded back on if you don't have a welder or expertise to do this yourself. Everything else should be bolt on and fitment for gaps etc which isn't difficult. I say rebuild, better, faster, smarter, and even better looking! Maybe you could do the Tacoma front clip conversion if you like that look. Get the big stuff fixed and then piece it together a little at a time as a project. I'm considering leasing a Corolla and retiring the 4runner as my daily driver so I can devote more time to building it up the way I want. Maybe do something similar if you have the time/money/2nd car.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're lucky the airbags didn't go off, especially since you apparently weren't wearing a seatbelt...
Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Realized that the inner fender well is pretty much the whole engine bay. Someone is going to have to cut and weld a new driver side radiator support and a new inner fender well, that someone will not be me. For some reason, I though everything was going to be bolt on but it appears that it's not nearly that simple. Should I keep going with this guys because I have no expertise in the welding field and will have to pay someone to do at least that part.

The original plan was to buy most of the bolt-ons myself and try to piece things together. I have no problems with that still, but cutting and welding is going to cost an arm and a leg for someone else to do it. I really like this truck, and I want to rebuild it, but at what point do you say enough on a 14 year old vehicle? Is it worth my time and money, even though it is a Toyota 4runner?

I'm currently driving a 1998 Camry 4 banger so I am saving on gas but I don't look nearly as cool.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM

I had one body man come up to get an estimate. He came friday the 6th and I asked if he could quote me two estimates (1)for them to do all the work themselves--welding, cutting, and bolt-ons, you name it--and (2) for them to only do the cutting and welding, possibly frame straightening. He hasn't gotten back with me which makes me a bit worried but hopefully he still comes through.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM

Still waiting for estimates....I'm beginning to think no one wants to screw with it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM

shame your so far away id love to help with this lol if you can find it just in november i did the same thing cept i hit a bank had to do the exact same thing your doing except my windshield didnt crack the only real advantage i had was tools and im a certified welder so i did all of it myself i changed the front clip tho on my 86 4runner u look like u just need to straigten everything out and replace hood fender and bumper ect. btw if your still in school this would make you a great senior project so try and record it like i did if you need any help pm me
Old 05-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Sorry to see that. In my opinion - very repairable.

Andreas
Old 05-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

There is another option, although some here may disagree vehemently. Contact your local community college and see if their body shop classes would take this one as a project. Usually you pay for all parts and materials and maybe a fee of some sort to the school or class.

You save money but don't expect it to be too timely. Some will do it, others will not. If they do, you also will be signing away all warranties, expressed or implied.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobertson4runnner
you were surprised it still started and ran?? have you seen the Top Gear clips, and what they did to that Hilux?
Top Gear? never heard of it. can someone post a link hahah

i agree i would make sure the frame isnt messed up. if its not, slap on a fender on it and make it a trailer queen
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Baloo
There is another option, although some here may disagree vehemently. Contact your local community college and see if their body shop classes would take this one as a project. Usually you pay for all parts and materials and maybe a fee of some sort to the school or class.

You save money but don't expect it to be too timely. Some will do it, others will not. If they do, you also will be signing away all warranties, expressed or implied.
That's interesting Baloo it never crossed my mind. The problem is, the community college 3 miles away doesn't have automotive classes anymore. It's unfortunate otherwise that'd be a great solution and I would seriously consider it.

Quick Reply: Death or Resurrection?