Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Day Time Running lights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Time Running lights.

I have a 2001 4runner, Does anyone know if there is better instructions or better pics of disableing the Daytime running lights than the ones on the Toyota TSB? Im not sure where this DRL Main Relay is, or which wires bundle to pull, and which wire on that bundle to tape back.

Ducky
Old 04-27-2003, 07:20 AM
CTB

Try a search on here - I bet you will find something.
But, if I remember correctly, there is a "heat-sink" looking type box on one of the sides of the engine bay, and if you just unplug the wire to that box, I think it solves your problems.

However, I can't remember exactly. Try a search - it should help.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:07 AM

DRL

Ok so i understand now the TSB.. anyone willing though to take a pic of where the DRL Main Relay is, I know its under the dash, but under mine, I have several boxes with harneses comming out... anyone with a digital camera can take a shot?

Ducky
Old 04-27-2003, 08:12 AM

It's a 2"x2" black box with vents in in on the drivers side between the battery and the headlight. It has a gray connector on it. Unplug it and this will disable the DRL.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pfdaxe
It's a 2"x2" black box with vents in in on the drivers side between the battery and the headlight. It has a gray connector on it. Unplug it and this will disable the DRL.
Back when this little find was first introduced, I took a look and it is nowhere to be found in my '01. Apparently it's only 96-00 or 99-00, but not the situation for 01-02. I don't know what year yours is Ducky, but if it is an 01-02 I think the only option is to follow the Toyota TSB.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:56 PM

DRL

Yea... I know... i need to follow the TSB, mines a 2001.... its just finding the DRL relay thing...

any one know precisly where it is, if I look under the dash on the drivers side, I have one thats mounted against the side, under the kick panel, and one mounted with the edge facing you towards the middle... with three sets of wire harnesses going in...

unless i looked at it wrong, where the hell is it? and which set of wires?

TSB's are vauge.

Ducky
Old 09-04-2003, 10:47 AM

The picture in the TSB, is that accurate for 2002 SR5 4runner also?:pat:

Last edited by ealonzo; 09-04-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
The DRL relay is located behind the driver knee panel directly below the ignition at the bottom side of the dash. Look behind the knee panel (the panel below the steering wheel) under the ignition and you'll see a black box with a blue & white Aisin DRL Relay label and a large wiring harness coming out of it. Wire #2 is a white wire with a black stripe, which is the one you need to cut.

NOTE: be sure to unplug the harness before you cut it and remember to plug the harness back in or your lights won't work! Just tape off all the connections and you'll be fine.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

ealonzo,

It's the same on all models from 99-02 which have DRL's, but the only way to disable them on 01-02 models. 99-00 have a separate connector behind the battery on the inside fender whihc can be disconnected and switched, so you can turn the DRL's on and off at will. I've tired to wire in a swtich for the DRL's on my '01 and they don't work, so I'm going to remove the switch.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

RW-

Any thoughts/ideas as to why the DRL's won't work with the switch??
Old 09-04-2003, 11:16 AM

Thanks, I'll try that and will let you know what happens.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

No, but I think it has something to do with the resitance built into the circuit. If anyone has any ideas, please post them so we can all figure this out.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Interesting that 01's won't work with a switch. Switch on my 2000 works fine.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just clipped one wire for mi ride.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:27 PM

2 things

They are two easier ways to disable them. One way is to just pull the DRL fuse. It's a 7.5A fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay if I remember correctly. The other thing to do is pull the emergency brake up ONE click. It won't engage the e-brake but your car will think it is, so the DRL's stay off. I don't know why but it works. You have to pull the e-brake up that one click when the car is OFF though. Then when you start it up the lights stay off. Then if you wanted them back on when you are driving, just release the e-brake all the way. If you pull it up one click while you're driving it won't do anything -- lights stay on. Just a neat little trick I discovered one day when working on the 4Runner.

Zach
Old 09-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

2 things, part 2

White SR5,

Thanks for the tips, here's my experience with them:

1. Pulling the fuse: this works great to shut off the DRL's, but it also shuts off the main headlamps as well due to the way the DRL relay is wired into the HL system. No juice to the relay, no HL; same as leaving the relay wiring harness unplugged.

2. Setting the emergency brake 1 click: This works because there's a pressure switch mounted on the brake lever that, when the brake is engaged, disconnects the circuit, allowing you to sit in the car with only the running lights on or stay completely dark while the engine is running. When you release the brake, the circuit completes and on come the DRL's. Main drawback: the dash brake light comes on; this to me is a safety issue b/c while it tells you your hand brake is engaged (not that the raised lever wouldn't indicate that) but it also tells you of a malfunction in the brake system itself. I'd rather have that indicator dark while I'm driving so that if it does come on, I know that there is something wrong with the system.

I've also tried disconnecting the wire that runs to the switch on the hand brake, but all it does is keep the brake light on permanently (another safety issue).

These issues are all due to the way the DRL's are set up on the 01-02 Runners & Tacomas. in 96-00, the DRL's were a port or dealer installed option, hence the "heat sink" module located behind the battery under the hood. In 2001, they became factory installed standard on all Runners and on most (SR5, Limited & PreRunner) Tacomas, hence the disapperance of the "heat sink" module and the increased difficulty of disabling them since all there is now is the relay under the dash. That's also why the switch doesn't seem to work due to the difference in voltage needed to power the relay vs. the "heat sink" design; the older design ran off full power from the HL system vs. the stepped down power in the relay itself.

I personally liked the older design b/c I had control over using my DRL's and could switch them on or off at will, not having to use my HL's during the day when travelling. But that's "new and improved" for you, which is usually neither.

Just my $0.02, but I hope this helps.

P.S.: what ever happened to the cents symbol on a keyboard?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:43 PM

I disconnected the #2 pin wire on the Drl Relay and now no more DRL. I checked the headlight, foglight and other misc light functionalities and there were no problems there. I think I'll stay with this one. Thanks rwmorrisonjr.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Cool, glad I could help.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

So there's no possible way to rig up the DRLs with a switch then???

Bummer!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Not that I've found on a 2001-02 4Runner or Tacoma. :cry:

Quick Reply: Day Time Running lights.