Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom front lightbars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a sweet mounting job Andreas. Looks very stable and with the inset lights it looks like a custom factory install. Kind of like what a Dakar race truck would have.
Looks like it's even easier to get at the mount to adjust the aim then when they were out front.
It will be interesting to see if the new set up makes any difference to cooling in the summer time especially running with them on on hot summer nights.

Last edited by aviator; 01-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 PM

nice fab skillz man. looks factory.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Looks like it's even easier to get at the mount to adjust the aim then when they were out front.
It will be interesting to see if the new set up makes any difference to cooling in the summer time especially running with them on on hot summer nights.
The 4000s have an amazingly robust mounting system. That said, it's a bit more difficult to access the adjusters now - but it's really a one-time thing. When they're tightened down with an allen wrench, they're on - period. Probably easier to steal the entire truck versus trying to swipe the lights.
As for cooling - there are plenty of openings leading to the radiator. I just replaced it least week and was surprised by how big it is. And I've owned the truck for nearly 9 years.

Originally Posted by j-man
nice fab skillz man. looks factory.
Thank you. I'm just a hack with a welder.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 01-11-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Wow, turned out quite nice - when you said you were cutting into the grill I was a bit skeptical, but they turned out wayyy better than expected. Well done.

How sturdy is that bar? Would you expect the same stability if it were to stick out a few more inches from the grill? I'm looking to put the same 4 hella lights that I had before on a light bar without modifying the grill at all
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rideexileex
Wow, turned out quite nice - when you said you were cutting into the grill I was a bit skeptical, but they turned out wayyy better than expected. Well done.

How sturdy is that bar? Would you expect the same stability if it were to stick out a few more inches from the grill? I'm looking to put the same 4 hella lights that I had before on a light bar without modifying the grill at all
As long as you don't rely solely on the factory bumper for support, you'll be fine. It's simply too thin & flimsy to be the only mounting point.

I re-installed the harness today and once again enjoyed the outrageous light output that these beasts deliver. Holy cow!

Andreas
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AlexJet
Looks very good and may seems like factory option for strangers.
You should make a few images of it on the daylight from different angles. Should look great....
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum tonight for two reasons:
1) I know Andreas and took a look at this mod today. It is beautiful and so clean in person. Hell, the Hellas seem more secure than the factory lights!

2) I bought a '97 SR5 today! It's high mileage but is in decent shape and was a pretty nice deal. I took it by Andreas' secret fabrication center for a PPI and he gave me the go ahead.

I'm looking forward to getting the gold badges off the truck and cleaning it up a bit. Who knows, I may even get one of those fancy inset Hella lights set ups in my grill.

-Robb
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Nice look!

a
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family Avalon. Thanks for the "in person, on location" review.
Lots of support and mod ideas for your truck here.
Don't forget to post up some pics of your new baby in our introductions and new arrivals sub forum.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 PM

looks sick i like that idea
Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 AM

Are you trying to fit 4 4000s between your headlights? This is theoretically impossible without obstracting your headlights. I have 3 on my '05 and 2 on '01 (3rd is in the mail).

Last edited by AlexJet; 01-12-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Welcome to the family Avalon. Thanks for the "in person, on location" review.
Lots of support and mod ideas for your truck here.
Don't forget to post up some pics of your new baby in our introductions and new arrivals sub forum.

Thanks and will do... Once I clean the road salt and unnecessary plastic off of it.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by avalonracing
2) I bought a '97 SR5 today!
Pics, or the truck simply does not exist!

Andreas
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

I have 3 on my '05 and 2 on '01 (3rd is in the mail).
Susquehanna Motorsports?

Love the look!

Andreas
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Susquehanna Motorsports?

Love the look!

Andreas
Andreas,
I used to get them from my local supplier for around $120 a piece (those comes as a single unit and no wiring provided, everything needs to be ordered separetly - most professional race series are like that). But recently Canadian suppliers are jucked-up the prices and this light become over $150 a piece, so the last (3rd one for my wife's 4Runner and 6th for the family) is coming from Sierra Expeditions. Will there is a great guy to deal with. I deal with them on regular basis and their customer support is great.

I deal with Susquehanna Motorsports before for some other parts. Unfortunatelly their shipping time to Canada are a bit long and I need it fast, plus I was getting warranty parts from ARB through Will anyway, so dropping something else in the box was a logical step.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Are you trying to fit 4 4000s between your headlights? This is theoretically impossible without obstracting your headlights. I have 3 on my '05 and 2 on '01 (3rd is in the mail).
No no, just 4 Hella 500's... very standard simple lights, the same as in my little 'avatar' picture. I've got the fogs on the outsides and the spots in the middle. They've treated me well so far and I've never seen the light output of the 4000's or any other fancy lights, and dont want to be tempted to upgrade. Now that I have the factory fog lights in my new rig, I might upgrade the Hella bulbs to the 100W yellows (I think theyre 100W?)
Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM

No no, just 4 Hella 500's... very standard simple lights, the same as in my little 'avatar' picture. I've got the fogs on the outsides and the spots in the middle. They've treated me well so far and I've never seen the light output of the 4000's or any other fancy lights, and dont want to be tempted to upgrade. Now that I have the factory fog lights in my new rig, I might upgrade the Hella bulbs to the 100W yellows (I think theyre 100W?)
500 are good lights.
As comparison to 4000, then 4000 are awesome. I have both on my truck. I'll make some pictures on the weekend and post them up.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

A lot of it is not the Canadian suppliers fault, a lot of mfgs. are starting to consolidate their distribution chains and the Can. market is just not big enough so our stores/suppliers are having to buy from US suppliers (marked up) and then add their mark-up to that. Also the cross border shipping costs are just insane. If you want to blame someone blame the mfgs. for not maintaining a Can. dist. network.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

we getting any of those pictures? anyone else with custom fab'd lightbars?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

we getting any of those pictures?
From whom?

Andreas
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM

500 are good lights.
As comparison to 4000, then 4000 are awesome. I have both on my truck. I'll make some pictures on the weekend and post them up.
from this post - im goin to design up a lightbar this week and then have a shop weld it up unless I can find time between class... I'll be doing my own wiring again though.... thats easy enough

Quick Reply: Custom front lightbars?