Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cruise Control Does Not Work 97 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Does Not Work 97 4runner

In my 97 4runner i was driving to friends house and used cruise fine. When i came back home it would not work. i turned the radio off and went real slow. Tried it again and there are sounds of like a piano or keyboard. yea sounds gay but its true. It sounds like the cruise is trying to engage but is not. Does anyone no wat to do to help me?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 PM

check the simple things first.....things like, make sure clutch (if applicable) and brake pedal are all the way up. Also my cruise wasn't working when my brake light or tail light was out. Other than that I'm not to sure.... hopefully its one of those.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the cables in the engine bay between the tb and cruise control module
Old 05-07-2010, 07:52 PM

i foud out that my front light to the left. The corner light is out. and i heard if any lights r out like that, the cruise will not work. If after that it does not work i will ask later
Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 PM

WOW fixed my light and cruise still does not work. and BALLS MC FALLS what is " the tb" i no where the cruise control module is but i dont get the tb part. please reply
Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM

tb= throttle body or timing belt depending on application. For you he means throttle body
Old 05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TB = throttle body. The cable is that cable that runs over the air intake tubing on the left side of the TB:

Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM

checked that. still not working. please give me other ideas or something
Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM

There's a switch on the brake and/or clutch pedal (if manual) to disengage the CC. If your CC light on the dash is lit and staying lit, not blinking I would check those pedal switch(s) first. I'm not sure how much they are to replace but I thought I read somewhere that they aren't too expensive.

Edit: Rock Auto sells them for $15

Last edited by kball; 05-09-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM

dude a switch really? dont see any its a brake pedal. it has no hidden switches on. and the cruise tuns on and off fine. but when i try to set a speed. it starts making noises like a error noise. so it still does not work. checked under the hood its fine under there. so any other ideas?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Yes, really, how do you think the CC knows to cancel itself when you push the brake pedal? This is from the FSM See #4

The cruise control system allows to travel at a constant speed, by the operation of the switch, without having to depress the
accelerator pedal. In this system, the engine throttle valve opening angle is adjusted automatically to control the vehicle at a
constant speed.
1.SET CONTROL
When the SET/COAST SW is operated while traveling with the CRUISE SW ON, the speed when the SW is operated to OFF
(SW released) is memorized, and the vehicle speed is controlled at that speed.
2.COAST CONTROL
When the SET/COAST SW is operated to ON, the motor in the actuator rotates the throttle valve until it is closed fully to
decrease the vehicle speed, and the speed when the SW is operated to OFF is memorized, and the vehicle speed is
controlled at that speed.
Furthermore, every time the SET/COAST SW is operated momentarily (Approx. 0.5 sec.) to ON, the memorized vehicle
speed is decreased by approx. 1.5 km/h.
3.ACCEL CONTROL
When the RESUME/ACCEL SW is operated to ON, the motor in the actuator rotates the throttle valve to open direction to
increase the vehicle speed, and the speed when the SW is operated to OFF is memorized, and the vehicle speed is
controlled at that speed.
Furthermore, every time the RES/ACC SW is operated momentarily (Approx. 0.5 sec.) to ON, the memorized vehicle speed
is increased by approx. 1.5 km/h.
4.MANUAL CANCEL MECHANISM
If any of the following signals are input during cruise control traveling, the magnetic clutch of the actuator is turned off, and
the current to the motor flows in the direction to close the throttle valve, and cancel the cruise control.
(1)Stop light SW is ON (Brake pedal is depressed)
(2)The CANCEL SW of the control SW is ON
(3)CRUISE SW is OFF
SYSTEM OUTLINE
Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 PM

ok so what should i do?
i did not get to test the cruise control yet but will tommrow.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah if any of your brake or turn lights are out it will not work, there is a vacuum line that must be checked as well. the unit itself may be at fault and the cable may be broken..

on top of that if you are running LED lights then this gives too little resistance and the CC will not work..

basically the ECM checks the brake light circuit and the turn signal circuit for the proper resistance and if it is not there then CC does not work!!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Looking through the FSM I didn't see anything about a vacuum line but if there is one by all means check that first. That would be the easiest fix. It seems that the same switch that controls the brake lights sends the signal for the CC. So if your brake lights are working, that switch probably is not the problem. Maybe someone else who knows can chime in on that one. You still have not mentioned if this is a manual or auto. If it's manual there's a switch on the clutch pedal as well. Here's the link for the FSM. There's lots of things to check out.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM

ok so i my rear brake light is out. the light that comes on when i press the brakes. after i get that fixed i will let u guys no
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Wow, cant wait to get home to drive my 4runner. Just bought it last week and the cruise control didnt work. Took it in for inspection and found the third brake light is out. Hopefully that is what was not allowing the cruise to work. I'll give it a shot tonight!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Since I bought my runner my third brake light has been out. Cruise works fine. So that's not it.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM

Yep, brake light fixed. Still no Cruise. Dash lights up fine when you turn it on. No cruise though. I'll have to get in there and diagnose now.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 AM

I took the 4runner to work today and what do we have here??? Cruise control works. I believe the problem lies in the Cruise Stalk itself. It doesnt have a positive feel when you try to set the speed in the down position. After a few tries it kicked on. There is a noticable drop in speed before it seems to catch but it was working after a few attempts. I guess my next step will be to disassemble the stalk and see what the deal is. I wonder if I can buy a new stalk or if going to have to try a junkyard.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
cek - It also sounds like it could be your clockspring. Are your airbag lights on and/or horn working? It's an easy fix, and you can find one used on here for about 40 bucks.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Does Not Work 97 4runner