Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Creaking / groaning noise from front end *solved*

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Creaking / groaning noise from front end *solved*

For over 6 months my 4Runner had been making the strangest creaking sound from the front end. It only happened when the front suspension was compressed and released in any significant manner, such as backing off one of those sloped curbs, while off-roading, or if I started pushing down on the bumper and releasing in a timed manner. To hear the sound, watch this video and listen to my rig coming down Devil's Staircase. You'll hear it with the volume up.

Anyway, the sound really started bugging me, especially after I came up a hill climb while off-roading only to see a bunch of Jeepers watching my 4R while they were eating lunch. Of course, they were probably used to that type of sound so they may not have noticed . It just made my rig sound cheap. So I started looking into it closer and got it narrowed down to the passenger side for sure. I then figured it was one of the control arm bushings, so I hosed them each down with WD40 and pushed the bumper down and up rapidly. Same sound. I started looking into other parts. I started looking at the sway bar bushing. Shot some WD40 on it and sure enough, the sound went away!

I figured there might be some other folks out there with this problem so I wanted to post a possible solution. WD40 will only work temporarily, so I am planning on getting some bushing lube in there when I have a chance. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps someone out there besides me.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-11-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
For over 6 months my 4Runner had been making the strangest creaking sound from the front end. It only happened when the front suspension was compressed and released in any significant manner, such as backing off one of those sloped curbs, while off-roading, or if I started pushing down on the bumper and releasing in a timed manner. To hear the sound, watch this video and listen to my rig coming down Devil's Staircase. You'll hear it with the volume up.

Anyway, the sound really started bugging me, especially after I came up a hill climb while off-roading only to see a bunch of Jeepers watching my 4R while they were eating lunch. Of course, they were probably used to that type of sound so they may not have noticed . It just made my rig sound cheap. So I started looking into it closer and got it narrowed down to the passenger side for sure. I then figured it was one of the control arm bushings, so I hosed them each down with WD40 and pushed the bumper down and up rapidly. Same sound. I started looking into other parts. I started looking at the sway bar bushing. Shot some WD40 on it and sure enough, the sound went away!

I figured there might be some other folks out there with this problem so I wanted to post a possible solution. WD40 will only work temporarily, so I am planning on getting some bushing lube in there when I have a chance. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps someone out there besides me.
Mine is totally different. Its on the drivers side...

Please do post your more permanent solution when you find it.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rdharper
Please do post your more permanent solution when you find it.
Well, I did find a permanent solution: Get some sway bar bushing grease and apply it to the inside of the bushing. WD40 great has worked so far though...
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Well, I did find a permanent solution: Get some sway bar bushing grease and apply it to the inside of the bushing. WD40 great has worked so far though...
Ok.. you are talking about bushings on the front part of the sway bar, not the frame bushings I assume. Will try the WD40 test, makes sense.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's the frame bushings. as you cycle the suspension, the bar twists in the rubber and will squeek/groan if it's dried out.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Correct, thanks Andy.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
it's the frame bushings. as you cycle the suspension, the bar twists in the rubber and will squeek/groan if it's dried out.
In that case, I have a better solution. Replace the bushings. I ordered bushings, figuring I was going to micky-mouse it by cutting the bushing in just the right place. Well, it turns out the replacement bushing (rubber) were already cut.

To replace it, just lightly push up on the tie rod with a jack, to hold it in place. Four nuts hold on the bushing clamp (on my '94), slip on the new bushing, tighten down the nuts... done.

I've only done the passenger side, as it was totally split. I'll replace the other one, as you might be right, it could be dried and squeaking.

Cost for the bushings was like $15.99 at Kragens, just for the two.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Crap. Im having the same groaning noise, but, unfortuently my sway bars are disconnected, so thats not the problem.

I think my entire front end needs a rebuild/grease up. I went through a lot of water last year, and ever since its been squeeky.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Angry My driver side creaking is deafening...

1990 base 4WD pickup; Juneau Alaska rust. made it through winter but you can hear the driver side creaking from 40 feet away! hosed every joint with WD40, silicone grease, and heavy grease...no change... can feel it most in upper ball joint, I'm going to replace them both sides this weekend. Steering squeaks when turning wheel while standing or going slow. Anything else I should try before I replace everything? :-/
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM

solved!

Driver's side upper ball joint replaced.