Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crankshaft pulley bolt COMES OFF!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Score anything decent on your huntin trips, AA?

got a monster blacktail 6pt buck a few weeks ago (while my crankbolt was coming loose and shredding my belt, un- benownst to me at the time...), dressed out over 170 lbs! biggest deer I've ever got... as for elk, mmm... no dice this year, never saw a bull, just some cows.... no cow tag this year otherwise I'd have another 600lbs of meat! there's always next year...
Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM

ok, making a parts list for the AC system...

1. Compressor (with clutch assembly)... there are 2 snap rings that are 'non-replaceable' should be installed on the new unit if it comes assembled though...

2. Accumulator - I'm assuming there are O-rings on this as well? don't have any diagrams on this one

3. Discharge hose O-ring x 2

4. refrigerant (shop will most likely do this...)

Specified amount: 600 ± 50 g (21.16 ± 1.76 oz.) per FSM

5. compressor oil

Am I missing anything or should I replace anything else in this system?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
replace the reciever/dryer. Its basically the trash can of the system.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

OK, cool... here's what I have for the oil for it per FSM:

Add 20 cc (0.71 fl.oz.)
Compressor oil: ND–OIL 8 or equivalent

plus new o-rings, lubed with compressor oil

thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

tightened the valve cover bolts a bit (carefully) and although not as often, it does still spittle a little earl on the manifold; the only spot it seems to be doing it is on the driver side towards the firewall, there's a nice burned oil stain on the exhaust tube. My guess is there's a break in the gasket there (good guess, huh? hahaha)

idle is still weird even after disconnecting the AC, but the clutch/belt doesn't 'seize' and bog the engine at idle, I'm wondering if taking the belt off will aleviate that or if it's something else. (my guess being something else...)

been having a wierd idle issue for a while, started after I rebuilt my intake but it would settle down and go away after 5-20 sec.... now it won't go away; idles smooth but fluctuates by about 100rpm back and forth constistently... annoying.... it does run though!! scared to take it very far, only driven about 5 miles so far...
Old 11-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
use kb8 for all thos hard exhaust bolts... ..
Old 11-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by aa1911
OK, cool... here's what I have for the oil for it per FSM:

Add 20 cc (0.71 fl.oz.)
Compressor oil: ND–OIL 8 or equivalent

plus new o-rings, lubed with compressor oil

thanks!
Most compressors from Techchoiceparts.com have oil in them already. If you are ordering from them, just check first. If you give them a call they are pretty helpful. If it has oil, then you don't need to buy any extra. The sell coolant as well as the accumulator too.
The accumulator is the same thing as a receiver/ drier. It is essentially a filter for the AC.
They might say that if you want a warranty on the compressor that you will have to replace the expansion valve too. I usually just buy that too for the warrant, but typically don't hassle with installing it. Because it is in the airbox, underneath the dash, big PITA IMO.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1990yota-pickup
use kb8 for all thos hard exhaust bolts... ..
what is kb8?

all I can find is kobe bryant shoes, do you buy a pair and then kick the bolts loose?

I am interested though, will need to get those suckers off someday... torch usually works but anything else to help would be awesome...
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
It's some CRRRRRRRAZY penetrating catalyst, AA. Home Depot had it one time I went in there. Sometimes Auto parts places do, but they're really STINKING on some of the stuff they're phasing out! Grrrr, lol. Sure you can find pink fuzzy neon led dice, sir...they're over there... but a 40amp relay? nahhhhhh! lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mattches
Most compressors from Techchoiceparts.com have oil in them already. If you are ordering from them, just check first. If you give them a call they are pretty helpful. If it has oil, then you don't need to buy any extra. The sell coolant as well as the accumulator too.
The accumulator is the same thing as a receiver/ drier. It is essentially a filter for the AC.
They might say that if you want a warranty on the compressor that you will have to replace the expansion valve too. I usually just buy that too for the warrant, but typically don't hassle with installing it. Because it is in the airbox, underneath the dash, big PITA IMO.
Good to know, I think I will just call them today and get everything I need; that would be sweet if they are ready to go, and they have some awesome prices. their website takes 6 years to load for some reason and their 'by vehicle' search is kinda retarded... want to talk to a person before I give them my CC info!

I have a pack of O-rings I picked up from schucks or wherever, is there a need to get the actual toyota ones, they wanted $2.50 for a single o-ring for the bottom oil dipstick tube alone, told them no thanks, I got 250 of them for $4.99... I also have some out of a 'fuel system o-ring and gasket' set I got also... it would suck to have a leak though if they are different, just curious...

thanks for telling me about techchoiceparts, this will save me a ton of mulah...!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
It's some CRRRRRRRAZY penetrating catalyst, AA. Home Depot had it one time I went in there. Sometimes Auto parts places do, but they're really STINKING on some of the stuff they're phasing out! Grrrr, lol. Sure you can find pink fuzzy neon led dice, sir...they're over there... but a 40amp relay? nahhhhhh! lol.
sweet, if anyone finds where to get some let me know, I'll search Amazon.com.....

^^ I feel that way in gun stores... "do you have any pure lead?"

"sure, we got lots of bullets, right there..."

"no, as in the element, raw lead, by the pound.."

"uhhh... we have lead bullets..."

"thanks retard...."

I also know for a fact that the shop that did the headers on my truck used anti-seize on my exhaust studs because when I got the truck home, guess what was sitting next to the battery in the engine bay???

you guessed it, a nice jar of anti-sieze! I thought about taking it back but decided I needed it more than they did, hahaha
Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM

Was having trouble with exhaust bolts and somone recommended 50/50 acetone and atf, didn't try it(plain old wd got the job done). Makes since acetone would break most anything down and atf would penetrate. just a thought.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, hahaha. I asked for a starter cable for the positive terminal a while back.... "They're over here, sirrrrrr", all growlish like I'd bothered her or something..... she walked me to the jumper cables! hahaha. I clarified... "NO, Starter Lead Wire, with connectors on it, that bolts to my positive terminal and then to the starter".... to which she says, "These wont work?" I MEAN, COME ONNNNNNNN! Good thing for her, i guess, that she was hot(I mean, SMOKIN! lol), or she'd not have lasted 3 days, let alone the 3 months she's been there, lol.

On the anti seize.... take the whole thing back to them and tell them, 'yeah, RE DO THIS!..... now!', lol. Sucks though..... I have to actually take out my LCE studs and put new ones back in.... might have to tap out a couple on the head, too(at least 2, it looks like).... SO not happy about that! lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM

you mean you guys aren't using jumper cables? I thought that's what the 'big 3' mod was!!?? they keep slipping off though, annoying.... hahaha!

oh, speaking of the shop that did the headers and donated the anti-seize to me... this is hilarious... so I bought a set of manifold gaskets from schuck's when I got my DT headers in, and I asked for 'a set of gaskets' because I was replacing the exhaust manifold. they had to order them and I wasn't paying attention when I paid for them, got home and there were TWO sets.... so I figured, whatever, they were cheap, I'll take them back later... made the mistake of leaving both of them in my truck when I dropped it off, wouldn't you know, I'm runnin' around ever since with TWO gaskets on each exhaust header.... WOW, maybe a phone call would have cleared that one up (if common sense didn't already kick in at that point), oh well... no leaks! hahahaha!!!! next time I'll put 5 gaskets on and see what happens...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM

i cant even find that stuff on the internet.. that kb8 stuff makes knocker loose and pb blaster look like a joke....
Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM

ok i found it its kb88 .... thats stuff will melt about anything it touches...
Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM

^^oooohhh!!! found it, you're right, I have been using LPS 3 since I was 8 years old on my guns! that stuff is the BEST rust inhibitor available, hands down great stuff... I would only believe that their other stuff is just as great... thanks, I will be buying some of that good stuff! my dad had used their stuff for years...

here's the link to their site:

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lu...s_pg/KB88.html

if you have metal that wants to rust, LPS 3 is the bees knees, trust me! I'm on my 3rd can in 20 years, it lasts a long time, paid $8 last can years ago... a little goes a long way...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM

OK, ordered the parts from Techchoiceparts.com via phone, very helpful and awesome price: bought a complete compressor unit w/clutch and oil, accumulator/drier and a complete O-ring set for the AC system for $207 to my door on monday! It is a 'new' unit also, not a re-man, pretty happy with their stuff so far.

Also, I asked about the expansion valve for the warranty (kinda stupid to ask) but was told I didn't need it for the warranty because the AC was still cooling fine so escaped having to buy that. I was expecting them to want more of my money and tell me I needed it...

freakin' awesome, toyota parts at the counter would have been like $800 or more.

Took the AC belt off even though I unhooked the connector and the wierd idle was gone until it warmed up; it's always been worse after warmed up but today not as bad with the AC completely out of the equation. The pulley on the AC seems to be rolling free with the connector unhooked but just wanted to be sure. going to drive it around town today and see how she holds up.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM

AC compressor/accumulator showed up last week, got photos but haven't loaded them yet, the compressor is beautiful! The only thing I need to do to it is wire the clip from the wiring harness onto it, just wires coming out, no connector. pretty common though, too many different connectors...

the O-ring pack has like 40 pieces in it, awesome deal for $7, they look good

need to take it and have a shop capture the refrigerant to be on the safe side and then I will get this thing on hopefully within the week, busy with work now. once she's on, I will have the shop recharge it. My idle is still squirrelly, annoying but otherwise she runs at full power all the way up to redline... got about 300 miles on her since putting it back together.

question: is it worth going thru the AC system and try to replace ALL the O-rings or just leave them alone? I know I need to replace any that come off but since I have a complete pack, would be nice to put new rings in to hopefully prevent future leaks... just curious if anyone had any insight on that...

thanks fellas... I'll post up some pics of the final results when she's done
Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
sent you a pm aa1911, busy on saturday?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley bolt COMES OFF!!