Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A couple fo questions,....

Old 01-02-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple fo questions,....

If you haven't read my other post about my truck losing power right after a tranny rebuild by the dealer,... basically, when I drive my truck it feels like Im driving with the e-brake on. I went and installed new OEM plugs from the dealer. I want to say I feel a difference but I doubt it. The OEM are denso copper single tip. I was running Bosch single copper tip. The bosch were new. When I took the bosch out there was new sign of a poor running engine. They were clean with some carbon build up around the rim of the plug that faces the piston crown. What I want to ask is there a big difference between the bosch and the denso? Also,... before the tranny rebuild I was running 15W engine oil,... right before I turned the truck in I had changed to 10W. Would that make a difference seeing that 15W was all I was running before the 10W? My MAF wire was clean and the throttle valve looked fairly clean.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Well I dunno if this has anything to do with your situation but I had that same problem when I first got my truck...here are something I would suggest...you may have already done these.

Clean the TPS
Dist. Cap & Rotor
O2 Sensor
Idle adjustment

I know in my case the cap, rotor and cleaning of the TPS made my truck run like it had a big block V8 in it...hopefully the same case with yours.

I would wait for some other more experienced...preferably Tacoma owners to chime in.

Good luck man!

Fink
Old 01-02-2004, 04:55 PM

Well,... I haven't cleaned the TPS yet and nor did I do the O2 sensor or the dis cap and rotor,... aren't they cover by my ext. warranty? If they are I would either have to pay out of my pocket to replace them now or,... wait for the O2 sensor to die and the cap and rotor to be absolutely worn before they will touch it or,... thats just what my dealer said. If I took it to another dealer and told them to replace them would they? Also,... I also noticed that my exhaust sound sounds more putt putt then when I first got her,... when I first got her it was more of a hum,... the way a 4Cyl. should sound. Right now my truck sounds like a very faint V8,... you know how V8's have that pop like putt sound when they are running,... thats what mine sounds like,... but when I go to the hood of the truck,... the engine sounds like its humming fine,... I got some BG44K I am goign to run through the truck. I also want to flush the engine out to clean up the oil passages. Tell me what you think.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:44 PM

No one is going to help me out here with my questions?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

dist. cap and rotor are some of the easiest things to do and only run about 21 and some change to buy at the dealer and you can do them yourself in about 10 minutes max.

O2 sensor is something I would do last since it is kind of expensive and you're correct about the dealer not doing it unless you are getting a Check Engine Light.

If you take it to another Toyota dealer then they will say the same thing as the other one did. Pretty sure its a Yota dealer thing that the warranty only covers pre-damaged items.

I would do the dist. cap and rotor and see what that does, good idea about the BG44K. With only 62k for miles...I'm not sure what else it could be...

Fink

EDIT: Fuel filter is something else but with only 62k, highly doubtful. Do you drive on dusty road a lot? If so you may want to check the air filter. If that doesn't work then list in detail your problems so that I/we can help you more, like what happens when you do this and so on.

Last edited by Fink; 01-03-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanks,... again for your reply. I'm on it. Thanks.