Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cost of a clutch pack - installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cost of a clutch pack - installed?

"Oh woe is me..."

So... Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for a new clutch pack, including install? The 1st->2nd slipping is bad enough that valve body work ain't gonna "fix" it, and it's starting to slip just coming off of a stop light.

96 4Runner, 3.4L, auto...
Old 02-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably somewhere right around your left arm and leg?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 914runner
Probably somewhere right around your left arm and leg?
Yeah, that's what I'm affraid of... I have a couple of buddies around that are willing to help but they're all busy and I'd rather not impose.

I'm hoping to get a total parts cost, not knowing what gaskets and such are involved and then figure it out from there.

So much on the list - so little money.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Curious, whats your mileage?

And.. what precisely defines a "clutch pack?"
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by msw0085
Curious, whats your mileage?
And.. what precisely defines a "clutch pack?"
151k. The "clutch pack" is what I know to call the clutch plates that are in the torque converter on an auto tranny. I very well may be using the wrong term.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I didnt see that you had an auto.. I have a psychosomatic condition in regards to my clutch.. I thought i had learned a new word today

Last edited by msw0085; 02-20-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 PM

is there not a good torqe converter upgrade for us? I read somewhere that there was, and that there was an upgrade for the valvebody to better handle the added power of the supercharger. i thought i had the info saved, but cant find it now. there was a site or post about sending it off to be reworked to handle a bunch of power and the ability to abuse it regularly.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:11 AM

IIRC, I spoke to IPT several years ago about buying just a rebuild kit and they would at that point sell it to us. They offer several different types of clutches depending on what you're using it for. If you call them will you post up a price since I'll probably be redoing mine in the next year.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by KyleT
is there not a good torqe converter upgrade for us? I read somewhere that there was, and that there was an upgrade for the valvebody to better handle the added power of the supercharger. i thought i had the info saved, but cant find it now. there was a site or post about sending it off to be reworked to handle a bunch of power and the ability to abuse it regularly.
Hi Kyle...

What you're talking about is the Valve Body Upgrade offered by IPT (Import Performance Transmissions).

The owner is "John" (GREAT guy!) and he's here on the forum as "Transdude". I once asked "what's in a valve body upgrade" and John let us all know:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/whats-valve-body-upgrade-27512/

Having this done is on my list of things to do, in fact, it's very close to the top because of all the other things I've done skipping over the importance of this , but I fear that the slipping I'm feeling these days goes beyond what the work will "fix". i.e., the plates are still worn - the VB work gets the plates & bands to grab tighter, but I fear that "the damage is done" and I should do this first.

Milan; yeah... Maybe I'll just drop a line to John and see what he wants for something high performance. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Hi Kyle...

What you're talking about is the Valve Body Upgrade offered by IPT (Import Performance Transmissions).

The owner is "John" (GREAT guy!) and he's here on the forum as "Transdude". I once asked "what's in a valve body upgrade" and John let us all know:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27512

Having this done is on my list of things to do, in fact, it's very close to the top because of all the other things I've done skipping over the importance of this , but I fear that the slipping I'm feeling these days goes beyond what the work will "fix". i.e., the plates are still worn - the VB work gets the plates & bands to grab tighter, but I fear that "the damage is done" and I should do this first.

Milan; yeah... Maybe I'll just drop a line to John and see what he wants for something high performance. Thanks!
Mark, you've been running a S/C the entire time with no valve body upgrade? :pat:

Then I would bet for sure your 2nd gear clutch packs are toast (those are the most common to go first). I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a complete overhaul by a professional shop is going to run you pretty near $2000-2500 or more. You might want to look into finding a low miles used tranny and swap it in and then put the money you saved into reworking the valve body. It is a must have if you are going to try and keep up with Dave on HP/torque numbers.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-21-2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Mark, you've been running a S/C the entire time with no valve body upgrade? :pat:
Absolutely! You don't think I practice what I preech do ya'?

Then I would bet for sure your 2nd gear clutch packs are toast (those are the most common to go first). I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a complete overhaul by a professional shop is going to run you pretty near $2000-2500 or more. You might want to look into finding a low miles used tranny and swap it in and then put the money you saved into reworking the valve body. It is a must have if you are going to try and keep up with Dave on HP/torque numbers.
Yeah, and good idea on a used tranny... Doing things that way can also keep me running while the VB is with John.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Doing things that way can also keep me running while the VB is with John.
You read my mind exactly!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-21-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

I second the used tranny idea. That's the route I took when I recently blew the 3rd gear synchro on our Accord (sorry honey! ). Surely FITZ or NIX99 or another place out there has one. And, the chances are REALLY good you will snag one that hasn't been abused.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy a used tranny from a wreck, have the valve body installed and then install it in your 4Runner.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah... NIX99 is like a stone's throw from here, I'll head out there today.

Jamie... Thanks for the PM as well.

argh.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Just out of curiosity how much is a used tranny gonna run?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 984RNR
Just out of curiosity how much is a used tranny gonna run?
Dunno for sure... From the little hunting I've done, well below the $2k mark that it would take to work on the that's in here now.

I'll have more info after I talk to NIX99.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dunno for sure... From the little hunting I've done, well below the $2k mark that it would take to work on the that's in here now.

I'll have more info after I talk to NIX99.

I have boght from NIX99 before and they were very reasonable and have a HUGE selection. They also have a website:

http://www.nix99.com/
Old 02-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dragr1
I have boght from NIX99 before and they were very reasonable and have a HUGE selection. They also have a website:
http://www.nix99.com/
Yeup, I like them too. I knew the website was there, but like I said, they're literally right up the street from me. Given the option, I like dealing with the guys in person.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Mark -

Here are some other options for you. I realize shipping might add significant cost, but if you get in a bind at least you know options other than local exist. FWIW I just bought and received a used Accord (5-speed) tranny from a place in CT. It arrived unscathed, but I still need to install it.

Total cost: $400 shipped.

ebay 1

ebay 2

ebay 3

ebay 4

Quick Reply: Cost of a clutch pack - installed?