Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cornfed Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornfed Lift

Alright guys, Jason B. has got me interested in the Cornfed spacers that he's selling. For both front and rear it runs $285 plus $14.99 shipping.

I need everybody's opinion on this, in the end I will be putting on 285/75R16 BFG Mud's but I need to figure out what everybody thinks of this lift.

I was originally going to run the setup that bamachem and many others have with the TRD stuff and OME's in the rear and such but I just can't throw around that much cash for a lift right now so...

There are some options I have, I can run both front and rear sets of spacers, or I can run front set of spacers with OME 891 coils in the rear, or I can run front set of spacers, rear spacers AND OME 891 coils in the rear.

What do you all think? As of now it sounds like going with both front and rear spacers is the way to go because it will be level, with only the 891's in the rear I have heard the rear will sag a little bit compared to the front. Then, see how it rides after that, if need be I can get some softer shocks or new coils in the rear to make the ride a little less stiff. I am running Bilsteins right now so take that into effect when advising me.

Other than that, have at it!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 11-03-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

I've been doing some searching and it doesn't sound like many people are running spacers all the way around.

I will not be doing any hardcore wheeling, with the little amount of free time I have right now because of school its hard for me to get out and go to a movie and dinner with my girl much less go wheeling, so, as long as as I can clear 285's and be able to go over minor stuff such as small rocks, anything I might encounter on a simple trail ride or a trip to the local Wal-Mart (slow pedestrians, curbs, ya know...)

I really wish I could afford going with bamachem's setup but I just don't think I can swing that yet! The way I look at it is, I can get the spacer lift right now to fit the 285's and then later on down the road I can upgrade to the nicer setup.

Anyway, bump!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 11-03-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I've been doing some searching and it doesn't sound like many people are running spacers all the way around.

I will not be doing any hardcore wheeling, The way I look at it is, I can get the spacer lift right now to fit the 285's and then later on down the road I can upgrade to the nicer setup.
First, That is true because most people have ended up getting more into the offroad world then they had planned so they went from spacers to new shocks (ome) and springs or bamachem (andy's) setup.

2nd, If you're doing just a little offroading here and there and nothing crazy, spacers are probably your best bet. The ride will be slightly stiffer but it's in a good way. The 2.5" cornfed kit is more than enough to clear 285's but you could get by with a 2" and maybe a little trimming.

3rd, The cornfed spacers are rock solid and wont "sag" like the daystar and other poly spacers have a tendency to do. They're by far the best bang for your buck and a quick and easy way to lift your 4runner but still knowing that you have a solid quality product under you.

p.s.- they were my first lift.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Thats the way I was looking at it.

One question I did have on the side of the main thread subject, if the ride does indeed end up being too stiff for my liking could I just sell my Bils and get a softer shock or what would you recommend I do in that case?

Thanks ASU!

Fink
Old 11-03-2005, 02:30 PM

One question I did have on the side of the main thread subject, if the ride does indeed end up being too stiff for my liking could I just sell my Bils and get a softer shock or what would you recommend I do in that case?
That is true, the bils are a little stiffer than stock. I ran my cornfeds with stock toyota shocks and my ride wasn't stiff at all. I doubt it would be hardly any more with the bils. Basically, your truck will ride and drive a little differently if you have 285's on anyway. I doubt you will even notice/care about the subtle stiffness.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome, well there goes another one of my concerns.

So, I mean, for a minor off-roader like me who mainly stays on the road, the spacers are a pretty good way to go it sounds like.

More opinions though please!

Fink
Old 11-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I would go with the spacers up front but the OME 891's in the rear. The stock rear spring is just not very good. This of course, if we're talking the same dollars.

I have a Revtek lift and the ride is fine. I also have Bilsteins.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to clear 285's with a 2 1/2" lift. At least not without trimming. ErikJeanna had a 3 1/2" suspension lift and rubbed with 285's MTRs. He then got a 2" bodylift to clear the 33's.

BTW, if I could do the lift again, I would have spent the money on bamachem's setup...
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

I am currently running 2" cornfed's and monroe sensa-tracs all the way around.
The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but it is not terrible. I also can't bring myself to drop that much $$ on the TRD/OME lift (although I would love to).

I agree w/ ebelen1, you will need more than 2.5" if you are going to wheel.

I still rub a tiny bit if I really stuff a front wheel, and I am running 265/75's.
You can always try 285's and if it rubs too much for your liking, add a body lift later.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

The ride height got lower after 2000 I believe.

I have heard of people with my year model clearing the 285's. Also, it's a 3" lift in front and 2.5 in the rear so they SHOULD clear.

The only thing I'm worried about is the sag in the rear, especially since I will be installing my subs this weekend.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!

EDIT: BTW, the price difference between going with all spacers and going with front spacers and OME coils in the rear is about 30 bucks or so, depending on how much shipping is for the coils.

Fink
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I suggest the 3" front, 2.5 rear. More info and write-up here:

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo..._96_02_liftkit
Old 11-03-2005, 03:26 PM

I originally had spacers all around, and the ride was fine. I still have spacers up front, but replaced the rear coils with OME 890s and really like the ride a lot better. You can tell a big difference going over bumps, railroad tracks, speed bumps, etc. and if you do end up wheeling then you'll appreciate it offroad too. If I was you, I'd get the spacers for the front and OME coils for the rear, just so you don't waste money (like I did) by changing your lift components down the road.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

The ride height got lower after 2000 I believe.

I have heard of people with my year model clearing the 285's. Also, it's a 3" lift in front and 2.5 in the rear so they SHOULD clear.

EDIT: BTW, the price difference between going with all spacers and going with front spacers and OME coils in the rear is about 30 bucks or so, depending on how much shipping is for the coils.

Fink
Most spacer lifts are 1/2" taller in the front than the rear due to the weight of the engine. My revtek lift is the same way. Just because you have a '99 doesn't mean you'll clear 285's. Let others post but I don't think you'll clear w/o trimming.

If the price difference is $30, do the spring in the back. Others have replaced their spacers in the back for springs. I'll probably do the same.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

OK...well it sounds like the ideal setup is to go with spacers and new coils in the rear...if all else fails I can just go with 275's. Not a big deal to me, just something a little bigger than stock is fine.

I know one guy, HarrisonP who has a '96 is clearing 285's with minor rubbing at full stuff on the frame but it's very minor.

So, all of you 3rd gen owners with 2.5" of lift let me know how the tires fit and what size would be best.

If I'm just gonna have to put on 265/75R16 then I'll just skip the lift and do that now, I can fit those without any rubbing with my stock suspension setup.

Fink
Old 11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

One thing I find weird is that, right now, the front of the Runner is stiffer than the rear...so, what am I gonna do about that? Maybe get some softer shocks?

Fink
Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 PM

How many miles does your current suspension have on it? I was considering spacers at first too, but at the time my suspension had over 150,000 miles on it and I decided to go with a new set up. It and the E load rated BFG's do make for a firm ride, but I like it.

Good luck.

4Peanut
Old 11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Only about 98k, I was thinking the same as you. I figure, I can afford the spacer lift on my college budget right now, so then after I get out of school, I'll be able to throw the cash down and get a whole new setup.

Maybe that only makes sense to me, but, seems like a good idea to me!

Fink
Old 11-04-2005, 04:17 AM

when i was researching my lift this past Feb and March, i really didn't want to drop that much money on the Bamachem lift. I wound up spending that much anyway, since i bought bil's and the cornfed 2.5 kit. The ride is a little stiffer than stock, but i like it a lot. it corners well on the road. the backend can get a little wishy washy on the highway if i'm turning and hitting some bumps, but i didnt' do anything to my panhard bar as of yet. that will be on the way soon.

I'm clearing 305/70/16's which are slightly shorter than 285's. I don't rub at all during normal driving. The only time i rub is when the wheels are turned and i pull into a gas station with a pretty good incline to get into the station. The tires only rub on the pinch weld but i haven't trimmed at all. I think some minor trimming and i'll be all set. I also don't wheel too much, but when i did for the first time a couple weeks ago, i didn't rub at all.

Overall, i'm very happy with my lift. I may wind up replacing my rear springs sometime, but here is my only concern. I think i got much more than 2.5inches of lift, closer to 3.5 or so. So i'm worried that new springs will make the backend too low and not level with the front.

Andy put in two more of his spacers, i think thats what he said in the long post on the TRD lift. There is a before and after pic of it. My truck looks a lot like his truck, height wise, after he put in those extra trim packer/spacers. Thats why i'm nervous that the downey springs alone won't be high enough. I would like to try the fj80 coils and see how that sits in my truck.

Anyway, like i said, i'm overall very happy with my lift and the ride it gives me. i like it being a little firmer than stock. I would definately order thru Burtman, his customer service is top notch and he is very good about answering any questions you have and he does so very quickly. I got my TJM from him and he was awesome to deal with.

I hope this wicked long post helped you out. Feel free to ask me anything else you need. I think i might have some level ground side shot pic's if you want em.

Last edited by shotking4; 11-04-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

buy ASUrunners OME coils. Add spacers up front and call it a day. See what that setup islike and take it from there. At some point you have to just try things out. The rears stink and he has a smokin' deal.

Plus I run 16x8 with 4.5" of bs to clear 285s
Old 11-04-2005, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
buy ASUrunners OME coils. Add spacers up front and call it a day. See what that setup islike and take it from there. At some point you have to just try things out. The rears stink and he has a smokin' deal.
They're on ebay now and I'm not sure how to end it (and not be charged) early since there are already 5 bids or so.. 4 days left on the auction. No reserve price. Oh, and if it reaches $75, i'll waive the shipping for a YT member. Thanks Andy!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
They're on ebay now and I'm not sure how to end it (and not be charged) early since there are already 5 bids or so.. 4 days left on the auction. No reserve price. Oh, and if it reaches $75, i'll waive the shipping for a YT member. Thanks Andy!
you will pay for the listing, but no final value fee. Just end the auction and say the item is no longer available. You are entitled to do that....

Quick Reply: Cornfed Lift