Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

confused about engaging 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See that gets me...
I beleive it is still 2WD until the button is pressed, then it becomes AWD and then when the center diff is locked it becomes 4WD...
The reason I say this is cause the first time I got in it...
(Stepdad was on business mind you...)
I did a burnout, out of the drive way...
It was rear wheel all the way so...
I believe it is sitll a true 2WD, just toyota put a little more inovation into the t-case so you can have teh AWD feature for light snow and heavy rain, and then the 4WD (once center diff is locked) feature for som more heavy duty snow and off-raoding...

Someone correct me on this if I am wrong, but that was always my impression
It's 2WD to boot
Then the button on it is AWD
Then the center diff locke is 4WD
right?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RedRunner_87
I disagree with that. I use 4LO all the time on the trails. Need the extra torque for rocks, mud and climbing. Don't wait to go to 4LO when you are stuck.
i think wheelin in 4hi will make you a better driver. crawlin and steep inclines are just when i use 4lo
Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How will using 4-Hi make me a better driver? I only use 4-HI on dirt roads. Anything other than I use 4-LO. I thought about it and can't figure out why 4-hi will make me a better driver. I've been wheeling for a 5 years now, and I have had no problems with not using 4-hi other than dirt roads.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireteacher
i think wheelin in 4hi will make you a better driver. crawlin and steep inclines are just when i use 4lo
I guess I have to ask the stupid question, cause it popped in my head for some stupid reason...

How exactly does drivin in 4Hi make anyone a better drive?
Like in what sense?
Just curious, cause thats all I have wheeled in except that one time and I didn't think I was that great compare to all of you here on the site...
To my friends on the other hand I seem to be a pro...
Just curious...
Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 PM

I have used 4lo once, and it seemed so pointless.... High RPM/low speed

but i do need to take into acount what i was going over required speed (big sand dune) because traction would required deflating tires which i didn't want to do....

Still not a big wheeler (until i get rid of the highway terrains), but im also curious for the future, should 4low or 4high be used more often.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

i was referring to picking better lines and such. not bashing using 4lo. i think it made me a better driver not using 4lo unless i needed it. lets say, climbing a 35 degree hill 35 feet with rocks all in the way. if it wasnt muddy out, i wouldnt use 4lo to force myself to pick GOOD lines in 4hi that way i wouldnt need lo. if i was in lo, wouldnt really matter what lines i took. as long as the rocks wouldnt get hung up on the axles, you would just barrel your way up. for that matter, i dont use the locker in the same respect either. i know it has my back so i try not to use it. make since?

guess its just me
Old 11-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireteacher
i was referring to picking better lines and such. not bashing using 4lo. i think it made me a better driver not using 4lo unless i needed it. lets say, climbing a 35 degree hill 35 feet with rocks all in the way. if it wasnt muddy out, i wouldnt use 4lo to force myself to pick GOOD lines in 4hi that way i wouldnt need lo. if i was in lo, wouldnt really matter what lines i took. as long as the rocks wouldnt get hung up on the axles, you would just barrel your way up. for that matter, i dont use the locker in the same respect either. i know it has my back so i try not to use it. make since?

guess its just me
I sse your point...
I always frind that I am trying to find the best way through and obstacle then hitting it head on...
Granted I also do that if I know the obsticle I am going to hit is going to throw off my alignmnet...
(would like to keep the good until I get a little more money to be able to go to get an alignment after every wheelin trip)

But still I see your point...
And abou tthe e-locker...
I don't even have one, so I def have to calcuate how I am hitting and obsticle...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See if your local Firestone has the lifetime alignment deal. I paid $160 bucks one time and I have lifetime alignments as often as I like as long as I own the vehicle. I did this after I lifted it as well...
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

I will check that out.
Unfortunelty the local Firestone for me is about 30-45 min away...
But I will def check that out...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 AM

I guess the twist this thread has taken at this point is more about 4x4 riding style.
In my case I use 4Lo in the hills to provide more torque, thread through tight squeezes and it generally smooths out rocky inclines. Others like to use speed and momentum (4Hi) to blast through trail sections, sometimes this is a needed approach, other times it's just bronco-rough and promotes wear-n-tear.
My whole philosophy is to minimize ware-n-tear on my truck, this approach keeps me from dumping money into my ride because of damaged parts and blown shocks; 4Lo provides that alternative.

Bottom line is that each section of trail needs to be assessed and considered on a case by case basis, sometimes 4Hi, sometimes 4Lo.

If you live in the flatlands I can completely understand not needing 4Lo. In those places most often there are no obstacles to necessitate it.

YotaFun let us know how your 4x4 trip goes and your opinion on this matter once you give it a shot.

-Youngster
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM

if you have the push button style shifter, with the selector in hi, and the 4wd button pushed in, you are in essentially an awd mode. when the center diff lock is engaged, you are now in a true 4wd, kinda( without front and rear diff lockers, you can only garuntee that 2 wheels will be getting power).

as for using 4hi or 4lo.

4lo= lower gearing= more torque= higher engine speeds= lower wheel speed.
this is used when rock climbing, going over large obsticals, or some hill climbs.

4hi = 4wd with no change in gearing from 2wd. this will mean that more strain is put on the motor, because you are now driving two axles instead of one, although the difference is slight.

different types of terrain will require different driving styles. in the rocks, speed is an enemy. it will usually yeld you bady damage or broken drive train.

in the mud, you need lots of wheel speed to clean the mud out of the lugs of the tires so that they are better able to provide traction on the next revolution.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Ive got an 02 sport with the button on the shifter. When i push it the indicator shows 4 green lights. There is a button on the dash that i can push and a flashing orange light shows (Trans. Case?)... confused now. That is the one thing that i liked about my jeep. When i put it in 4WD it was in 4WD. What are the different modes for the 02 sport auto? Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use 4lo when wheeling (33x10.50x15 stock gears) mud and snow are done in 3rd-4th gear in 4lo
Old 12-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
Ive got an 02 sport with the button on the shifter. When i push it the indicator shows 4 green lights. There is a button on the dash that i can push and a flashing orange light shows (Trans. Case?)... confused now. That is the one thing that i liked about my jeep. When i put it in 4WD it was in 4WD. What are the different modes for the 02 sport auto? Thanks
i beileve that this would work the same as what i described above.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

All this pushing buttons talk makes me love my 5spd all the more.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4Runner210
Ok, little confused here. I have a '98 Limited with the pushbutton on the side of the transfer case shifter. I know how to get into 4hi and 4Lo how is my setup different than the ones without the button?
Ok, I have a 96. No button on the 96's. So what i do is i pull the shifter straight back into 4H, and over is neutral, and up from that is 4low

That is the only difference between me and you i believe.

The 02 (and 01 i think) would have an AWD option - read through the thread for that
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 AM

the question is: what is the transfer case neutral used for? why is it different from tranny neutral?!?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sofarsogdsowhat
I guess the twist this thread has taken at this point is more about 4x4 riding style.
In my case I use 4Lo in the hills to provide more torque, thread through tight squeezes and it generally smooths out rocky inclines. Others like to use speed and momentum (4Hi) to blast through trail sections, sometimes this is a needed approach, other times it's just bronco-rough and promotes wear-n-tear.
My whole philosophy is to minimize ware-n-tear on my truck, this approach keeps me from dumping money into my ride because of damaged parts and blown shocks; 4Lo provides that alternative.

Bottom line is that each section of trail needs to be assessed and considered on a case by case basis, sometimes 4Hi, sometimes 4Lo.

If you live in the flatlands I can completely understand not needing 4Lo. In those places most often there are no obstacles to necessitate it.

YotaFun let us know how your 4x4 trip goes and your opinion on this matter once you give it a shot.

-Youngster
I will Definetly let you know, Unfortunetly I had to miss this weekends Paragon Trip One for work, and Two I am having some engine issues it seems
(will be posting a thread later...)

Originally Posted by 4Runner210
So we have the same setup as far as the axles, tranfer case etc? Just a different way of engaging? Does mine have a center diff? Sorry if these seem dumb i have quite a bit of experience working on cars but i hardly ever touch 4x4s
Almost the same setup yes.
You have a center Diff that locks to make your AWD into 4WD
(I think this is stated somwhere ealier in the thread)
No Dumb question here on yotatech, When you new to the world of 4X4's and a yota in general question you will have....

Originally Posted by isaac338
the question is: what is the transfer case neutral used for? why is it different from tranny neutral?!?
I believe netural for the T-case is more used for a tow feature...
I don't know the complete diffrence if any ther is between having the tranny in neutral or having the T-case in neutral...
All I noticed is when I have the t-case in nutral the car is easier to push if i need to get it out of the way While I am working on it (mom usually needs to get out of the driveway and I am in the way...)
Or it could just bethere as a feature to prepare the t-case for 4 low..
I have been reviewing a couple of 4WD systems in alot of diffrent suvs and trucks (me and stepdad are the only one that have yotas, all our friends have somehting diffrent) and noticed that almost all hae a Neutral option...
The only one that I hvae come across that does not have a nutral option are All-Time-All-Wheel-Drive or the new 4Gen 4Runners with the V8 that only have teh 4Hi and 4Lo option...
just my .02 on that issue
Old 12-10-2006, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
There are 3 transfer case shifters that have buttons. One that moves in the "J" pattern, one that moves aft-fore and one that moves fore-aft... Here is the difference

"J" Pattern... multi-mode transfer case

With the shifter in the normal postion you are in 2wd. If you press the button, shifter doesnt move, you are in AWD.. and depending on your year you may or may not have VSC.. AWD is fantastic.. can be used anytime with no damage to drivetrain, and only slightly to mpg. It used a torsen center differential that typically splits power 40/60. F/R.. My 03 has the same setup, just different shifter.. I LOVE IT.. it makes snow/ice/dirt/rain so much better to drive in... Now when you pull the shifter straight back you lock the center diff and are now in 4WD.. the when you push the shifter to the right N, the R and FWD to 4LO.. same as 4HI, just lower gearing... 4LO is used at slower speeds for more control, and the feeling of more power... Use it.. your tranny and brakes will thank you...

the aft-fore multi-mode (01-02) center diff lock in on the dash.. courtsey of Yotafun
Originally Posted by yotafun
The position it is in for normal drive is all the way back
When you press the button AWD is engaged and the 4 Tires on the Dash Light up...
When you hit the button on the dash for the locker the center diff locks and a oragne light comes on solid to show that the center diff is locked...
Then you shift into neutral and push the stick all the way foward for 4Lo
the 02-03 also have VSC, where the 99-00 does not, but 99-00 has a rear locker...

The other shifter is 2WD in the fwd position, press the button you are in 4WD, then pull back for 4LO...

The mult-mode is much much better than the 4wd you had in your jeep... and when you put your runner in 4wd, its 4wd just the same... But you now have the AWD or fulltime 4WD option.. which allows you to power all 4 wheels, but wont cause damage on dry roads, or make it hard to turn...

As far as your dash lights, IIRC in 2wd nothing is lit.. then press the button.. all four tires go green.. AWD.. pull the shifter back for 4wd.. the center orange indicatior will blink, when its solid you are in 4wd..

Last edited by AH64ID; 12-10-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
There are 2 transfer case shifters that have buttons. One that moves in the "J" pattern, and one that only moves fore-aft... Here is the difference

"J" Pattern... multi-mode transfer case

With the shifter in the normal postion you are in 2wd. If you press the button, shifter doesnt move, you are in AWD.. and depending on your year you may or may not have VSC.. AWD is fantastic.. can be used anytime with no damage to drivetrain, and only slightly to mpg. It used a torsen center differential that typically splits power 40/60. F/R.. My 03 has the same setup, just different shifter.. I LOVE IT.. it makes snow/ice/dirt/rain so much better to drive in... Now when you pull the shifter straight back you lock the center diff and are now in 4WD.. the when you push the shifter to the right N, the R and FWD to 4LO.. same as 4HI, just lower gearing... 4LO is used at slower speeds for more control, and the feeling of more power... Use it.. your tranny and brakes will thank you...

The other shifter is 2WD in the fwd position, press the button you are in 4WD, then pull back for 4LO...

The mult-mode is much much better than the 4wd you had in your jeep... and when you put your runner in 4wd, its 4wd just the same... But you now have the AWD or fulltime 4WD option.. which allows you to power all 4 wheels, but wont cause damage on dry roads, or make it hard to turn...

As far as your dash lights, IIRC in 2wd nothing is lit.. then press the button.. all four tires go green.. AWD.. pull the shifter back for 4wd.. the center orange indicatior will blink, when its solid you are in 4wd..

Wow thats intresting, learn something new everyday...
I didn't know there was a "J" style shift witht he button that worked like that...
I wish I had that...

Quick Reply: confused about engaging 4x4