Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Spring compressor myself, yes or no
Spend $6 and do it yourself, its worth saving the money and not as bad as you think
69.57%
Spend $100 and have someone do that part for you, its not worth the risk
30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Coil install...

Old 03-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil install...

Ok, I've been going around and around with this so I thought I'd just ask for your opinions.

How smart is it to attempt the install of my OME's (the fronts in particular) when I've never used a spring compressor?

I could spend $6 and rent a spring compressor, and do the whole job (with a friend).

For somewhere around $100, I could pull the fronts off myself, take them to Wheel Works or Firestone, have them compress and dis-assemble the fronts, remove the original parts I need, and then assemble the OME's. I'd then take them back home and swap them in myself.

Having someone do the whole install is just gonna cost too much.

I have all the threads and write-ups I can find on this install. Does anyone have any tips for using a spring compressor if I go that route? Has anyone ever had a compressor break on them?

Thanks in advance -
Old 03-31-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Since Foster City is Norcal...

Post up a thread asking for help!

hint hint "NORCAL WRENCHATHON!!!"

just provide some grub and beer and people will come!

I'd help ya out but i'm down here in socal... hehe

there are alot of members on this board and on various other yota boards that'll be more than happy to help ya out! Plus this way it's almost free (ofcourse ya gotta provide the grub!) but atleast it'll be a learning experience and you'll meet some peeps!

who know's someone might even have a spring compressor!!!!

Lance
Old 03-31-2003, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have ro can get access to air tools, or an electric impact wrench, try to get it. It makes running the compressor fun and easy. My bro got really ticked the first time I swapped my rear coils and he had to crank on the compressor by hand after my arms got tired.

Good thing about having a junior assitant on the job, easier to deleagate responsibilities like that.

Do it yourself or make some local friends. In the end you will learn something about your ride, make some friends and have the pleasure of saying, "Yup, I did that my self." Not to mention the cash savings.

Some times it is good to be tight on cash, it means you get to learn cool stuff.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't exactly call Robinhood150 a "junior assistant", hehe. Its just that neither of us have used a spring compressor before. At least I think that's what you told me Steve, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually put up a post for a wrenchathon a week or 2 ago but haven't heard anything... I'll resurrect that post, maybe there will be more takers!
Old 03-31-2003, 12:25 PM

I must say we had problems with the spring compressors when I was putting in the Bilsteins. No air compressor tools either.

Everyone has their opinion on this one, but I'd say wall-mounted spring compressor or take it to a garage. I just don't like those spring compressors you have to reef on, but that's just me.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Get someone else to do it. Unless you can find a spring compressor that will fit. When I tried to get my bilsteins in we tried 3 different spring compressors and none would fit! If you can find one then do it that way. Otherwise, get someone else to do it. Thats what I'm going to do when I get my OMEs...
Old 03-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a link (with a picture) of the only style of compressor that I've ever had fit!

http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...oduct_id=44986
Old 03-31-2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
Since Foster City is Norcal...

Post up a thread asking for help!

hint hint "NORCAL WRENCHATHON!!!"

just provide some grub and beer and people will come!

I'd help ya out but i'm down here in socal... hehe

there are alot of members on this board and on various other yota boards that'll be more than happy to help ya out! Plus this way it's almost free (ofcourse ya gotta provide the grub!) but atleast it'll be a learning experience and you'll meet some peeps!

who know's someone might even have a spring compressor!!!!

Lance
I think that's a great idea. If there were more Edmontonians here, I'd do that too.

Al
Old 03-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, I've never done this install or used a spring compressor. I can get my hands on an electric impact wrench, probably.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:21 PM

Hmm...

Well, here's what someone else told me. Maybe it's for the rear ones only, I don't know. I can't even remember who it was, but I think it was a post on this board. Here's what they said: "removing the coils is a snap. no compressor is needed. just put the frame on jack stands, support the diff with a jack, pull the wheels, disconnect the bottom shock mounts (the top shock mount may be a pain to get off, so this may add some time), disconnect the sway bar end links, disconnect the panhard bar from the axle, disconnect the emergency brake from the center of the axle, and lower the axle. Watch so you don't lower it too much and put too much tension on the brake line. Springs should just pull right out. Putting em back in is the reverse, although it helps to have someone push down on the axle for installing the second spring. Took me no more than a couple hours to do the rear end (not including the hassle with the top shock mounts - that's another story). Once the wheels are off, it only takes removing about six bolts to get the springs out." Again, don't quote me on this, it's only what I've been told. Hope it helps.

Zach
Old 03-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I spent about 3 hours 2 weeks ago trying to change mine but did not succeed although I did not disconnect the sway bar, and that was for the rear of my 2nd Gen. I decided to pay someone to do it because with all of the overtime I've been working lately, I just don't have the time to do it myself. Now if I can only find the time to take the truck in to get them changed.

P.S. Compressing springs can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom,

Dave (Dbui27) and I are going to install my PP springs sometime soon. He's the guy who helped me with my Bils. Well actually, he did most of it. Dave lives in San Jose.

In return, I'm going to do the cupholder mod for him. A good trade, I think.

How about the three of us get together in April?

Bob
Old 03-31-2003, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rears should be cake. Support the frame with jackstands, remove rear wheels, disconnect the bottom shock mount. Don't mess with the panhard, e-brake or anything like that. Get a buddy to stand on the drum while you get a hold of the spring and wiggle those buggers out. Be careful not to over extend the brake line.

No guesses on the front.

If you are working like a mad man, then either make time or pay. I am a poor college student, so when I need to get something done, if there is no class and no parties, I get it done. Those in the real world have different parameters.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:15 PM

another way you can install the rear springs is after disconnecting the sway bar and lower shock mounts, support the frame on jack stands and then with a floor jack, jack up on side of the axel at a time. when jacking up the right side enough the old spring on the left side should almost fall out and vise versa. the springs took me about 1 hour to change. the shocks take longer though cause the top shock mount is a pain.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah most of what I've read says that the rear is pretty easy. The issues with the spring compressor are with the fronts only.

Bob, I'll e-mail ya about your idea!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:02 PM

Just a small word of caution here from someone who stuffed cut Impala BB springs into a '68 Nova front assembly (yes, it can be done and yes, it was about 20 years ago), BE CAREFUL with spring compressors.

They have safety U bolts on them for a reason! A 450 - 650 lb / in spring carries an impressive amount of energy when compressed. I (knock on wood) have never had a spring come out on me (for the handful of times that I have done it) but have heard some pretty nasty stories about it. Use a three bolt compressor if you can find one. More work, but infinitely less dangerous.

I know it's dorky, but wear those safety glasses and gloves if you can. It always sucks to hear about someone getting injured while wrenching. Hope I'm not coming off to strong here...

Mike
Old 03-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

It's really pretty easy. I have done 2 Revtek and 3 Cornbred all with hand tools.

The hardest part is lineing everything back up again.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:21 PM

do your own work

You would be suprised just how much some places charge for labor. i installed my own lift on my 2wd, and it took me a while, but working w/ conventional coil spring systems is a little harder. They wanted $550 for installation. If you have coilovers, just do it yourself, it doesn't get any easier than this. We just did coilovers to lower my friend's Honda, and kept the stock shocks, so we had to change the springs on all the struts all around. All four struts changed out, and replacing a cv boot while we were at it, took us 2- 2liters of mountain dew, and a pizza for each of us. (5.00 pizza day at little caesar's, gotta love it) I helped my grandpa put a hitch on his Tundra, and they wanted $120 for labor!! Eight bolts, already properly drilled and ready to just pop onto the frame, took us like half an hour to actually read instructions, and have one person bolt it up while the other held it in place. If your not sure if you CAN do the work, get a haynes or chilton\s manual and figure out exactly what it will take before you tackle the job.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:23 PM

Exclamation

Attach a safety chain to the body and the coil to keep it from flying out at you! :cry:
Old 04-12-2003, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

might as well try

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to mechanics but my wife and I managed to switch a rear strut on an 89 Camry using a spring compressor from the local autoparts megastore. I was nervous, but had no problems with the spring compressor. In fact the hardest part was breaking the 12 year old bolts loose to get the strut assembly out of the car.

My vote-might as well try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coil install...