Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch overheats & slips '91 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Clutch overheats & slips '91 4Runner

If I let my 4Runner idle for more than a few minutes or get stuck in heavy traffic the clutch will slip. If I hop on the highway for a couple of minutes, it returns to normal. The local general mechanic wants to replace the clutch, both cylinders, etc...

I had Toyota replace the clutch about 30k ago. I was pulling a very heavy load and got stopped on the highway due to an accident. When the traffic cleared the clutch slipped very badly. The Toyota techs changed out the clutch and it worked fine till now.

I had Toyota replace the fluid in the master/slave cylinders and they said it looked pretty bad. I'm sure it hadn't been replaced in a while. That made it a little better, but didn't fix it. Today I replaced the oil in the trasfer case (it was time) and checked the level in the rear. I ran out of time and oil so I'll replace the front and rear next weekend.

'91 4 runner, V6 4WD, manual tranny

I'm tempted to replace the master & slave cylinders next (I don't remember getting them replaced with the clutch).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Brian
Old 11-21-2004, 08:06 PM

ummmm. normaly when u change a clutch. you really should have the flywheel turned. along wiht changing the clutch. pressure plate and poilt and throw out bearing. having the flywheel turned means that all the new parts will match the fly wheel. if they flywheel has hot spots on it then it can cause the clutch to have problems. guy i get clutches from has done clutchs for about 25 or 30 years. if u take a clutch in sit it on his table he will tell u what it is!!! i dont care what its out of. hes just good. big poster on wall says: IF YOUR FLYWHEEL IS NOT TURN U GET NO WARRANTY. dunno if that ur problem but just a thought your hydrlics normaly dont cause problems. hope this helps
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM

I really don't remember what else they did when they changed out the clutch. I was in the middle of moving to a new duty location and it broke right in the middle of the trip. With two vehicles full of household goods and the family in tow I just wanted to get back on the road. I suspect I had them do the full meal deal and it was a Toyota dealer so they would want to do everything as well.

The curious thing is that it only happens when the truck is fairly stationary for a while. Running at highway speeds at any temperature doesn't show any problems. Waiting in the drive through line will make it slip every time...

Thanks,

Brian
Old 11-22-2004, 05:42 PM

do you remove your foot totally off the clutch at lights? or in drive threw lines? or do u leave ur foot sitting on the petal a lil. slight pressure on the clutch petal could cause it to drag. which would cause it to heat up and slip. As well as wear it out alot faster. better off to either keep it all the way in, or not to have any pressure on it at all. At normal driving you probaly get more comfortable and move ur foot away from the petal. Next time u are driving look and see if you do that or not, could be ur problem.

kinda on another note. alot of people gear down to make stops at lights, stop signs, or whatever. if u think about it gearing down is ok. but it wears on ur clutch more. just using ur brakes to me would seem better. first brakes are cheaper, second they are alot easier to change. Toyota brakes are pretty simple usally takes long to take the wheel off and put it back on then to change the brakes them selves. just a thought though hope the foot thing helps though.

Last edited by -ToYoTa-; 11-22-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:28 AM

It's not the foot. I can start the truck in the morning and let it idle for a couple of minutes while I take out the trash, etc. When I jump in it slips right away.

It acts like either it heats up or something is getting clogged at idle. Faster speeds cool or clear the problem. There were some floaties in the clutch fluid so it's possible something is getting gunked up in the cylinders. I've read a couple of threads that point to the master cylinder in somewhat similar situations.

I'm just trying to eliminate the low cost possibilities before they hit me with a $800 bill.

Thanks,

Brian