95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clunk turning Left - clicking sound in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk turning Left - clicking sound in Dash

Hi,

I have a 1992 Toyota SR5 4x4 Ext Cab Pickup with V6 - stock setup

I have investigated the noise coming from my instrument panel area - it sounds like a relay going mad...

This coincides with an occasional clunk-bang when turning left.

What I discovered: This does NOT happen in 4WD Hi or Low

As soon as I shift into 2WD the clicking behind the instrument panel starts up.

There is also an odd whirring sound coming from the front right, when accelerating in 2WD. Mostly between 30-55 mph.

On a dirt road - in 4wd Hi - I can travel at 60 mph with no noise or other issues.

It sounds like it is not disengaging properly from 4WD and some relay is sticking on -off or that maybe the vacuum lines are doing something funky on the front differential... but I don't know.

The truck does not feel like it is in 4WD when shifted out to 2WD.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by MarknSher; 04-12-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MarknSher
Hi,

I have a 1992 Toyota SR5 4x4 Ext Cab Pickup with V6 - stock setup

I have investigated the noise coming from my instrument panel area - it sounds like a relay going mad...

This coincides with an occasional clunk-bang when turning left.

What I discovered: This does NOT happen in 4WD Hi or Low

As soon as I shift into 2WD the clicking behind the instrument panel starts up.

There is also an odd whirring sound coming from the front right, when accelerating in 2WD. Mostly between 30-55 mph.

On a dirt road - in 4wd Hi - I can travel at 60 mph with no noise or other issues.

It sounds like it is not disengaging properly from 4WD and some relay is sticking on -off or that maybe the vacuum lines are doing something funky on the front differential... but I don't know.

The truck does not feel like it is in 4WD when shifted out to 2WD.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Mark

I found a wonderful link on this:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

It states:
The ADD relay can be inspected for operation as well. This relay is located under the instrument panel on the passenger side of the steering column. Check for continuity between terminals 2 & 6 and 1 & 3 (see diagram). Upon applying 12 volts continuity between terminals 1 & 4. Replace the ADD relay if it fails the above tests.

I can hear this thing clicking like crazy, but I'll be darned if I can find it - have disassembled dash...still no luck.

Does it look like a relay?

Thanks,

Mark...again.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MarknSher
I found a wonderful link on this:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

It states:
The ADD relay can be inspected for operation as well. This relay is located under the instrument panel on the passenger side of the steering column. Check for continuity between terminals 2 & 6 and 1 & 3 (see diagram). Upon applying 12 volts continuity between terminals 1 & 4. Replace the ADD relay if it fails the above tests.

I can hear this thing clicking like crazy, but I'll be darned if I can find it - have disassembled dash...still no luck.

Does it look like a relay?

Thanks,

Mark...again.

I found the *#(*&$@ relay....

It is in behind the instrument cluster - waaaay in the back, behind some foam..behind everything.

I had the engine running and switched between 2 and 4wd so I could hear the relay clicking.

I had to reach in and feel for the click (the mechnical click) so I could pinpont its location.

I wonder what would cause that relay to click like crazy when in 2wd, but be silent in 4wd.

Makes me wonder why they put it THERE!!!

Sigh...
Old 04-12-2004, 04:14 PM

I think the clank turning sound you hear is the steering stop bolts. they come from the factory with a plastic cover over the bolt which wears out quickly. look at your lower A-arm for the bolt
Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clicking sound in dash- resurrected post from 2004

here's a blast from the past!
I am having the same issue as this...a clicking sound coming from the dash, (sounds like a relay going mad)
this occurred soon after taking off and reinstalling all vacuum hoses on the 3vze. I am thinking that one of the hoses was misrouted...

this coincides with a much louder AFM/air intake.

i am thinking that because of this misrouting, that I am confusing both the AFM and the ADD system.

if there's any way to photoshop a big red arrow onto a diagram of the pertinent hoses (that might cause these combined problems) and where they should run, that would really make me a happy man. many thanks to you in advance

sincerely,
the ancient post ressurektor
taiko

-re: ADD...The most common problem is damage, deterioration, or mis-routed vacuum hoses. To ensure the vacuum lines are routed properly, they are marked with either a blue or brown tracer stripe on the hoses. These hoses should match up with the corresponding VSV under the hood. In some cases during engine or collision repairs, these hoses get routed incorrectly or left disconnected altogether.

Last edited by taikowaza; 04-18-2007 at 06:17 PM.