Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

click/clunk coming from front right side when backing up ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
click/clunk coming from front right side when backing up ONLY

hey guys,

for example, when i am backing straight out of a parking space and then slightly turn the wheel to the right, there is a sharp click/clunk (somewhere in between) sound. i always hear this sound and it always comes from the front right side. any troubleshooting suggestions?

bob
Old 06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I wouldn't believe this unless someone back me up, but...

Sounds like it could be your wheel bearing. Does it only happen when turning right? Pehaps your hitting/pulling/scraping soemthing with your wheel? Also, unless your outside of the truck, it's nearly impossible to gt an accurate reading of where the sound is coming from. I wouldn't trust your ears for location when sitting in the truck.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:19 PM

mine does that because my tire hits the fender flair piece on the bumper. only in reverse when turning the wheel to the right, makes a grinding clisking noise.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:54 PM

I get the same noise...I noticed it after driving around on warped rotors for a while but I have long since changed them and the noise is still there. I know its not the wheel bearing nor is it tire rub on anything. The sound is much more solid than that, like its in the steering gear or a ball joint.

If you ever get this figured out I would appreciate any information you have posted here to help the rest of us out.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

search, noob.

J/k with ya
Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by DrBeau
Now I wouldn't believe this unless someone back me up, but...

Sounds like it could be your wheel bearing. Does it only happen when turning right? Pehaps your hitting/pulling/scraping soemthing with your wheel? Also, unless your outside of the truck, it's nearly impossible to gt an accurate reading of where the sound is coming from. I wouldn't trust your ears for location when sitting in the truck.
beau,

good point. ill have someone sitting outside and walking w/ the truck while i back up. if i can isolate the sound, ill let you guys know in a week. im overseas right now

bob
Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 AM

How are those cv boots lookin'? Mine are wasted, and I get that 'clunk' when backing up every once in a while... Sometimes it'll 'clunk' just from dropping into reverse.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:51 AM

cv's were the first things i checked and they are fine.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bob... welcome to the club. (though i think mine's coming from the left side)

Mine's been doing it for a while... WATRD and ChrisCo heard it happen a month ago or so and their guess at the time was a stuck piston in a caliper. I've since pulled the rotors and that's not it.

I know that both of my CVs are leaking, but it's not horrible and there's grease in there. The seal on the right side of the front diff is leaking, but I keep it full.

I fear it's a wheel bearing. Or maybe a ball joint. ugh.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 AM

mark,

thanks for the theories. gonna do some YT homework now

bob
Old 06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Bob

An easy way to test the bearings is to jack the tire off the ground... Spin the tire and listen for unusual noise... Also grab the tire, try to wiggle it... If there is excessive play, that is most likely the culprit...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:21 AM

Hey Bob... whatever you do, do NOT read this thread. It has news in it that worries me as to the amount of work we're looking at:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/wheel-bearing-question-3rd-gen-34561/

Right now, I ain't go no "gravely" sounds when I spin the wheels, but they _are_ sloppy in terms of lateral movement. I don't fancy watching my spindle explode under 27 tons of force.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:33 AM

I have a noise also but mine can be heard and felt in the truck.
I am pretty sure what my noise is though.
After I did the BL on my truck I noticed the noise and could feel a draging on the steering wheel.

It appears to be under the dash where the steering colum runs. There is a collar that is rubbing against a mount for the colum.

I haven't tried to move the collar yet but I think that will fix mine.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:34 AM

so i dont have to start a new thread:
when i start out driving slowly, i get a squeeking sound as the wheels rotate, and it seems to be coming from the left rear. after a certain speed it goes away, and sometimes it doesnt happen at all.
i greased my axles all over the place and still there sometimes.

anyone have any suggestions?

-derek
Old 06-23-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dfoxengr
so i dont have to start a new thread:
when i start out driving slowly, i get a squeeking sound as the wheels rotate, and it seems to be coming from the left rear. after a certain speed it goes away, and sometimes it doesnt happen at all.
i greased my axles all over the place and still there sometimes.

anyone have any suggestions?
If I was to continue your story for you, it would go "...and that was when I replaced my rear axle bearings".

i.e., I had the same symptoms a while ago. it was one of the axle bearings, but you always replace them in pairs. I think it was $50 in parts, and $50 in labor for a shop to pull the old and press the new. (I pulled the axles and drove them to the shop)
Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 AM

cool, thanks. i was hoping it wasnt that but oh well.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:11 AM

fyi... looks like I did mine January 2005:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/moaning-46153/
Old 06-23-2006, 02:23 PM

My clank

I often hear a slight clank when backing up after parking....but not turning. It is only when I first start to roll. Mine is comming from front wheel lug bolts making contact with the holes in the brake rotors. My lug nuts are torqued to spec but since the front rotors do not have retaining bolts they (rotors) move slightly and make a 'clank' against the lug bolts...or maybe it's vise-versa.
I have 40k miles. Upon close inspection I can see were it has even worn down through the threads and leaves metalic dust. Maybe by 80k miles I will have a rim shear off going 70 mph. Guess I'll look at at new lug bolts soon. Oh well. This is really the only thing that I consider s h i t t y about my 4R.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by alotawatts
I often hear a slight clank when backing up after parking....but not turning. It is only when I first start to roll. Mine is comming from front wheel lug bolts making contact with the holes in the brake rotors. My lug nuts are torqued to spec but since the front rotors do not have retaining bolts they (rotors) move slightly and make a 'clank' against the lug bolts...or maybe it's vise-versa.
I have 40k miles. Upon close inspection I can see were it has even worn down through the threads and leaves metalic dust. Maybe by 80k miles I will have a rim shear off going 70 mph. Guess I'll look at at new lug bolts soon. Oh well. This is really the only thing that I consider s h i t t y about my 4R.
How is that possible if the wheels are torqued properly?

I don't think there should be any way for the rotor to move because it gets squeezed between the hub and the rim when you torque the lugs. Something doesn't sound right there....be careful because if it really is doing what you say, your future prediction might become reality one day!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-23-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:03 AM

Bob, if you've positively ruled out the CV, check the right strut: Mounting hardware and coil. Whack the spring (wheel in the air) with a rubber mallet to make sure the coil is seated properly.

Good luck and let us know what the fix turns out to be.

Quick Reply: click/clunk coming from front right side when backing up ONLY