Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cigarette/Power Outlets Dead, Fuses OK

Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cigarette/Power Outlets Dead, Fuses OK

Hi everyone. First post, but I've read endless yotatech threads and have found this place to be by far the most helpful on the 'net for DIY repair questions. Good stuff.

1998 Tacoma xtra cab 4wd 2.7

My cigarette lighter(s) has(have) stopped working, but what is confusing to me is that I read in many other threads that there are two power outlets and one cigarette lighter. For me, I have three jacks - one next to the ash tray, two below. The left bottom one has a cover that indicates it is 12v 120w. The right bottom one is open (uncovered) (but hmm, did it used to be covered? - looks like some plastic there could have been broken off I guess even though no rough edges or anything).

Name:  1998TacomaExtraCab4WD27_zps9ffebb71.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  64.9 KB

The power is working on the left bottom one. The power isn't working on the top one and the right bottom one. So I assume the cigarette lighter is on the same circuit as the bottom right "power outlet." All three were working previously. Could be a coincidence, but assuming not.

I think I blew it out using an inverter. I checked as many fuses as I could think were even vaguely relevant, and none were bad. For fun, I swapped the horn fuse and the cig fuse, and the horn worked both ways, the two cig outlets did not.

I understand there is a fusible link behind some (all?) of these outlets, but because two are burnt out, I was thinking the problem would be upstream a bit... however, not sure what else to check. ??

Also, not confident how to take these outlets out so I can check the wires behind. The plastic console seems to be held in at least on the bottom left/right by some kind of plastic, um, I want to say rivet, but no, more like a snap that does not appear to be designed to come out. ??

Maybe it's just complete coincidence and both outlets' fusible links are blown and I need to replace both outlets.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
The plastic snap comes out easily. Just push in the middle of it with a pen or screwdriver. After both snaps are out just pull the plastic piece out.
I believe there is an interior fuse for the outlets and yes, a fusible link behind them. Its been a while since I've been in there so I could be wrong.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cig lighter is on the ACC fuse by the driver's knee. The two power outlets are on a PWR OUTLET 15A fuse in the engine compartment. The fusible links are part of the outlets, between the hot lead connector and the center outlet contact right on the end of the outlet. Maybe somebody swapped the cig lighter connector with one of the aux outlet connectors behind the center console? Did you check the PWR OUTLET fuse under the hood (#1)?

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-28-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM

@TheDurk Yeah, I checked all fuses, including under the hood. BTW, on my truck there is no "ACC" fuse inside (nor under the hood), but I checked most of the ones that were even vaguely related and they were all good

@scuba Thanks, that sounds easy... and yes it was, but it's too dark to really get in there. Great tip!

From what you guys are saying, it does look like it's probably only coincidence that these two outlets are dead at the same time and the problem is likely the fusible link.

I will dig into it later when I have time and light.

I see people just bypassing the fusible link, and while I might do that to test that this is in fact my problem, I think I'd like to have the fusible link there in the future. But I read some other threads where people had a tough time finding a reasonably priced (read: not from the stealership) replacement that actually fits (read: not generic one from O'Reilly). Rockauto doesn't seem to have one; haven't checked elsewhere yet...
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by gratpj
@TheDurk Yeah, I checked all fuses, including under the hood. BTW, on my truck there is no "ACC" fuse inside (nor under the hood), but I checked most of the ones that were even vaguely related and they were all good
Sorry, I'm a 4Runner guy. Now I see you have a Taco, so I can't be much help. But somewhere there should be a relay that energizes those power outlets when ignition is on. something else to check....
Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 PM

There is definitely a power outlet fuse AND relay under the hood. Fuse was OK, don't know how to test a relay, BUT given that one power outlet is working, seems like it wouldn't be the relay.

What do burnt out fusible links look like? What should I be looking for when I dig in there?

Also, any comments on my last post re: where to buy replacements? --->

I see people just bypassing the fusible link, and while I might do that to test that this is in fact my problem, I think I'd like to have the fusible link there in the future. But I read some other threads where people had a tough time finding a reasonably priced (read: not from the stealership) replacement that actually fits (read: not generic one from O'Reilly). Rockauto doesn't seem to have one; haven't checked elsewhere yet...
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM

There is definitely a power outlet fuse AND relay under the hood. Fuse was OK, don't know how to test a relay, BUT given that one power outlet is working, seems like it wouldn't be the relay.

What do burnt out fusible links look like? What should I be looking for when I dig in there?

Also, any comments on my last post re: where to buy replacements? --->

See the little black wire? Apparently, it doesn't always LOOK burnt, that's why you need to test...so...
First thing to do is get a test light or DMM and see if you have 12V+ at each of the hot leads to the three outlets. Then test again on the other side of the link. Or use the resistance function of the DMM and test the link itself.

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-29-2014 at 08:32 PM.