Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cherrybomb from Burtman Price in question

Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cherrybomb from Burtman Price in question

Just got my vortex in from burtman and opened the package info. Shipped from supreme automotive warehouse, burtman industries was billed and shipped to me. Burtman was only billed $59.60, 45 even for the muffler and 14.60 for shipping. The number on the invoice didn't pick up so I couldn't ask if you had to be a vendor to order from there. But even so, Jason are you marking these up 200%?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:51 AM

Aren't the vortex mufflers from Jason only about $90?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Did you try via PM?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Burtman is just a middle man, like most vendors.

I already tried explaining this to people, but no one wanted to listen. Like his "headlights" that are such high quality. THey are cheap Taiwan knockoffs marked WAY up, marketed with clever wording and sold to the unsuspecting customer.

But in all fairness, he is just trying to make a buck like you and I. He is a middle man. Buys the aftermarket parts wholesale from a warehouse or wholesale supplier, then resells them retail off his website.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:05 PM

This is one of the main reasons companies don't drop ship.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:26 PM

He said in one thread while back that he didn't get them much cheaper than his price.

This is a shock to me.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Well, I think if you have problems with a vendors pricing, you should contact them before posting it on a forum, especially in the wrong sub-forum (there is a vendor feedback section). I do agree it is best not to drop ship as this situation arises. Also as a consumer the onus is upon you to find the best deal. Not buying something and then complaining about the price after the fact. As well his markup is actually 100%, not 200%, based on how you calculate markup. This is not out of line compared to the average automotive part industry typical markups.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what if he marked it up 200%? Whats it to you? Dont want someone to make money? You obviously thought the retail price was fair by purchasing it. Who cares what it cost him. If you want lower prices, go ahead and get your business license, become a vender, get and agreement and buy from vendors like Jason does.

You probably don't realize how many things are marked up well beyond 200%. Things like batteries, parts and pieces at the electronics stores, things like that.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

I always shop around and compare for this reason since some vendors do markup more than others. It's the customers fault if he doesn't price compare.

I look for honesty in a vendor and some vendors aren't honest about their goods in some cases and IMO there is nothing wrong with alerting people to this part of the equation but to rip on pricing is a bit out of line.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Some of you need to take a chill pill. Did I say one derogatory remark in my first post? It was pure fact and a question, so those of you bashing on me for asking a question obviously don't understand the purpose of the forum. Also, this is not vendor feedback, this is a question for a vendor, and I wanted the question out and to most readers before I went to work, this is the most popular and relevant forum. By the way, I am a junior Business Administration major with a minor in marketing so I don't need the 101 on the consumer-interpreted illusions and business ethics

Jason, I'm sorry if this seems like bashing. I couldn't locate the means to pm you in the 3 minutes i had in between finding the slip and heading off to work. Maturity, in theory, prevails in most mature forum (and, remember, this is one of them) and if you read the post with an open mind then it is only a simple question i felt everyone deserved to have answered. At the very least, have the sales receipt forwarded to you instead of having it on the package to shove in the customer's face how much money you just made. Just a thought, again, sorry if this came off as demeaning.

Last edited by MillerPKA; 12-15-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Like his "headlights" that are such high quality. THey are cheap Taiwan knockoffs marked WAY up, marketed with clever wording and sold to the unsuspecting customer.

So they arent any better than the eBay ones?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM

technically a 50% markup, you did the math backwards,

i used to work for play it again sports, we bought a used softball bat for 35 dollars and sold it for 199, now thats unethical imo.

if hes cheaper then most other vendors, then hes not doing anything wrong. im sure he will see this sooner or later.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by 98runner210
So they arent any better than the eBay ones?
negative.

Made in taiwan just like all the rest.

I wonder about the claim that they are made by the same manufacterer as OEM? OEM is made in japan, and these lights are not.

However, if I can be proven wrong, so be it, and $319 would be a SUPERIOR price for factory OEM lights.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 12-15-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:31 PM

hmmm i really want the 99+ ones since one of mine has a busted bracket and points too low. I was gona get the ebay ones but heard they dont have a good pattern. Rather they have a "spotlight" effect with minimal light distribution. I was gonna go with Burtman for a quality set. GUess I should keep an eye out for used true OEM ones.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
Some of you need to take a chill pill. Did I say one derogatory remark in my first post? It was pure fact and a question, so those of you bashing on me for asking a question obviously don't understand the purpose of the forum. Also, this is not vendor feedback, this is a question for a vendor, and I wanted the question out and to most readers before I went to work, this is the most popular and relevant forum. By the way, I am a junior Business Administration major with a minor in marketing so I don't need the 101 on the consumer-interpreted illusions and business ethics
Well I dont think anyones posts were out of line on the original statements that you made, so easy on the "chill pill". No one is bashing you for asking a question, and we do understand the purpose of the forum. This is not Toyota SUV and Truck Tech, and would be better suited for vendor feedback, but that is merely my interpretation based solely on the titles and descriptions of each forum. I'm sure the readers could wait until after your work to know that you weren't happy with the price, and once posted opinions from each side are warranted. I do agree that drop shipping is in poor taste for vendors to do, and it is insulting especially when on their site they have an "actual price" that is 300% markup, but then have "their super awesome price" which is only 100% markup, and it gives an illusion like you are getting a smokin' deal. But if you paid too much for a cherry bomb muffler then the "junior" part of the BA really comes through.. (its a joke, i already took my chill pill).
Old 12-16-2007, 03:48 AM

By the way, I am a junior Business Administration major with a minor in marketing so I don't need the 101 on the consumer-interpreted illusions and business ethics
You should probably start a thread about the school you attend, because apparently they are ripping you off too. Do yourself a favor and edit your first post before anyone else reads it.

I've seen your other posts and you seem like a good kid, but you don't really know what you are talking about here.

Last edited by Whitey13; 12-16-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
You should probably start a thread about the school you attend, because apparently they are ripping you off too. Do yourself a favor and edit your first post before anyone else reads it.

I've seen your other posts and you seem like a good kid, but you don't really know what you are talking about here.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason, I'm sorry if this seems like bashing. I couldn't locate the means to pm you in the 3 minutes i had in between finding the slip and heading off to work.
yet you had the time to start this thread?

Stay in school, kiddo...

You have a lot to learn about how the business world works
Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Staff

All you guys bashing him need to knock it off. The question was not posed to anyone but Jason. IF a mod felt it was in the wrong section, it should be moved. Otherwise, just leave him alone.

Perhaps he does not know that retail outfits marks parts up a major amount to make money on them. Its something we all learn over time. However, as a customer, he is allowed to ask all the questions and desire all the info he wants. Whether Jason answers the question is up to him.

So stop with the "go back to school" bashing, and if you dont like the question or the thread, head on over to the post three words thread and post something in there.

He already got the answer from us that he needed which is simply this:

YES Jason marks his parts up from the wholesale price he buys them for. Thats how businesses work. Buy it at one price, mark it up to make a profit, and sell it. Its just simple capitolism.

KThx.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 AM

If the question was for Jason why did it end up in a post for everyone to see? As stated earlier, “why not just PM him?” The way I see it is that public posts are just that and face support or scrutiny by choice. Threads are meant to draw response; of course we don’t like it when people respond negatively. That is the risk we take. I’m not for bashing but it seems Jason was put in a hard spot first. Jason does not have to explain anything about how he prices items. A savvy customer will look around and do the research before buying. We all shop around and settle for best whether it’s service, price or availability.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherrybomb from Burtman Price in question