Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cheapest place for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest place for tires?

It's time for some new tires. I think I've decided on the Bridgestone Dueler Revos in 265/75/16. Now I'm just trying to find the cheapest place to get them. I believe theres a $50 rebate on them as well
Old 09-11-2004, 01:30 AM
Banned

go to a bridgestone retailer... but more specifically, one that is an actual bridegstone dealer directly... they can get you more discount than the non direct dealers, and a lot of tire places will pricematch as well..... if online is what your after, i say www.tirerack.com
Old 09-11-2004, 07:04 AM

i don't know if it's the cheapest, but it's usually pretty close. what i do is go to tirerack.com and get a price on the tires and then go to discont tire company and have them match the price from tirerack. my discount tire is really good and will match the tirerack price and then do installation and everything for only $5 a tire just to get my business. but even if you have to pay the standard installation price from discount, the tire price from tirerack is ususally the best i've ever seen.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:47 AM

www.tirerack.com very good prices, fast shipping, affordable shipping prices
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 AM

hrmm.. I'll see if I can find a Bridgestone dealer that will match the prices... Thanks
Old 09-11-2004, 10:58 AM

I thought I had the cheapest prices on the net, but i called Big10 tires and they beat the price.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:21 PM

Costco

Last edited by TACOMANATOR; 09-11-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Costco Costco Costco!

Just got the same set for my dads 02 taco, $145 installed with lifetime balance and roation along with road hazard warranty! Which I must say Ive used once with one of my Revos, I got ran off the road and smacked a drain pipe, it didnt blow but had a huge knot on the side of wall, no questions asked replacement! Good luck, Matt
Old 09-13-2004, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Try to find a Local Firestone dealer. Bring internet printouts so they can beat that price. I was a salesman for Firestone, and I know that they have a lot of room to work with. Just hassle them for the best price.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use tirerack for all my tire purchases. The have great service, and good deals from what I can tell. They usually ship pretty quickly too.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 AM

Just got a quote from Peerless for 153.99 for Duelers (265/70/16) and they are roughly $20 less each at tirerack.com. Do brick and mortar stores actually match online prices? With shipping, tirerack is actually MORE expensive all around, so I figure a real store might say, "yeah, but we're cheaper because you don't pay shipping."
Old 10-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would never buy tires off the internet. The cost of balancing over the life of the tire will cost more than anything you saved in the beginning. Also, what if you get them and go to have them mounted and balanced and one is defective? Now you have paid to have them mounted and balanced and you have to take it off, ship it back, and do it all over again. No way.

The free lifetime balancing is a big savings down the road. I would rather pay a little more up front and find a tire store that has a Hunter Road Force balancer and free lifetime balancing too.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-08-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:12 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I have never found Tirerack to be cheaper than any local company or national chain (except those crooks at Les Schwab.) Add the shipping, and for car tires the road hazard, add local mount and balance, then figure the pain in the a** of dealing with a local shop who didn't sell them to you if you need warranty, and even if they were cheaper I wouldn't do it. America's Tire/Discount tire prices are always the same or a little bit cheaper than Tire rack after you figure the REAL cost, and then I've found a couple of other local tire shops will beat even THAT price to get my business. A little competition is a good thing - for the consumer!

Best prices ever - every time - are found at Walmart! Lest you doubt me - I called the local Wallies and was quoted $524 installed drive away price on 35x12.50/15 BFG Mud TAs. Go shop around - $708 at Discount tire! $632 at Tire rack, plus around 12 each for m&b = $680. People poo-poo Walmart - why? They don't MAKE the tires. And their service is excellent.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 10-08-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

I've bought all my tires from Discount Tire (if you're in the western region of the US) since '91 and have always gotten great service and no problems even if I decided to change tires after a few thousand miles which I did a couple times with my Eclipse.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
People poo-poo Walmart - why? They don't MAKE the tires. And their service is excellent.
They suck as a business and have lousy business practices,pay their people like crap,support foriegn companies,lower property values of neighborhoods that they build in and have created a poverty level all by themselves by knowing that they can pay people an unliveable wage,no benefits,sucky retirement plan and keep doing it because the general public still shops there ignoring the bad just because they can save a little money here and there. It is a scary thing if you really examine the issues of what kind of company Walmart has become.

Sorry about the rant but I work for Safeway (unionized and a good company but....) and Wal-Mart is just one big monster corporation that is getting too big and destroying the internal fabric of America. Don't believe me then do some research. They run "good" businesses out of your neighborhoods and then they start to take over an area.

Let's say you build a Walmart in a upscale neighborhood,now they have a bunch of workers making $7hr but remember these people will have to travel to your neighborhood to work since I doubt well to do locals will be working there. Walmart will hire anybody almost no matter what their criminal background is and now you have this undesireable element coming to your nice neighborhood and studies that I've read show an increase of crime (violence and drugs) spring up around a Wal-mart where ever they are built and thus hurting your once nice neighborhoods.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
They suck as a business and have lousy business practices,pay their people like crap,support foriegn companies,lower property values of neighborhoods that they build in and have created a poverty level all by themselves by knowing that they can pay people an unliveable wage,no benefits,sucky retirement plan and keep doing it because the general public still shops there ignoring the bad just because they can save a little money here and there. It is a scary thing if you really examine the issues of what kind of company Walmart has become.

Sorry about the rant but I work for Safeway (unionized and a good company but....) and Wal-Mart is just one big monster corporation that is getting too big and destroying the internal fabric of America. Don't believe me then do some research. They run "good" businesses out of your neighborhoods and then they start to take over an area.

Let's say you build a Walmart in a upscale neighborhood,now they have a bunch of workers making $7hr but remember these people will have to travel to your neighborhood to work since I doubt well to do locals will be working there. Walmart will hire anybody almost no matter what their criminal background is and now you have this undesireable element coming to your nice neighborhood and studies that I've read show an increase of crime (violence and drugs) spring up around a Wal-mart where ever they are built and thus hurting your once nice neighborhoods.
Good to hear somebody else has some intelligence to not shop at wal-mart. As an urban planner, I have studied the effects that the company has had on communities and no good ever comes out. I haven't set foot in a wal-mart for four years andd never plan on ever setting foot in one again.

Sorry to hijack.

As some of the others said don't buy your tires online, but use the online price. Go to Discount show the tirerack price and they will match it. I just got $20 a tire knocked off the price of my MTR's doing this.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 PM

i get 70% off on tires, up to 5 tires a year, but i retread commercial tires for a living