Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Radio Install

I have a '91 toyota 4x4 and i was wondering where a good place to mount a cb would be ?? If anyone has pics of there cb's mounted that would be great as well! Thanx ahead of time
Old 05-02-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lazu,

There many kinds of CBs out there in different vehicles. Too broad of a request IMHO. Therefore, search "CB" and go through the threads. Try alos searcing the terms "Cobra", "Uniden", and "Radio Shack" for starters.

Also, look in the Tech section. You'll see some write ups in there too.

Bob
Old 05-03-2004, 12:15 AM

I guess it is kind of a broad question sorry Its a Midland... a lil bit bigger than an average head unit if that helps any.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 AM

Anyone have pics of where they have installed it ?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:07 PM

i put mine right next to my shifter colum, close to my seat but far enough for comfort. The end of it is about alligned with the 4wd stick. My legs dont touch it or anything. I would try to get some pics but my dad took the digital camera on vacation.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:44 PM

heres where I mounted a uniden 510xl it has a external speaker in front of the shifter.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:50 PM

i put mine where my ash try is. I hate smoking so it was sensible
Old 05-03-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by LazuR
I have a '91 toyota 4x4 and i was wondering where a good place to mount a cb would be ?? If anyone has pics of there cb's mounted that would be great as well! Thanx ahead of time
Here's a short write up I did few weeks ago of my install in a 94 4runner.
Click Here
It's a Cobra CB but if the Midland isn't any bigger it may work.
-Michael
Old 05-03-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Newdad
Here's a short write up I did few weeks ago of my install in a 94 4runner.
Click Here
It's a Cobra CB but if the Midland isn't any bigger it may work.
-Michael

thanx for the reply mine is about the size of a head unit though :| im thinking about pulling my dash apart and seeing if i can get it to fit where the pocket is!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LazuR
thanx for the reply mine is about the size of a head unit though :| im thinking about pulling my dash apart and seeing if i can get it to fit where the pocket is!
I fit mine there no prob: Had some minor trimming w/ a dremel and had to cut the bottom part of the radio bezel but it fit:
Edit: This is a first gen runner but it's almost the same...
Attached Thumbnails CB Radio Install-p8180119.jpg  
Old 05-03-2004, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by flecker
I fit mine there no prob: Had some minor trimming w/ a dremel and had to cut the bottom part of the radio bezel but it fit:
Edit: This is a first gen runner but it's almost the same...

I can't see the pic says attached image but nothign! im gonna go check to see the size comparsion to my cb and a deck i have laying around
Old 05-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Here's mine:

Sometimes Imagestation is fickle so you'll have to excuse me if the picture decides not to show up.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Here's mine:

Sometimes Imagestation is fickle so you'll have to excuse me if the picture decides not to show up.
You just leave your glove box open all the time ! i would prolly always have my cb on so i dunno if that would work for me....If worse comes to worse i will get rid of mine and get one that others have fit underneath there CD player....unless i can find another way! Really dont wanan get rid of my midland!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

I don't use mine all that often so yes, I just leave the box open.
Currently I don't worry about anything moving side to side cause I have one of those plastic dash mats that they sell at Radio Shack and Pep Boys that allows you to put your cel phone on the dash and it doesn't move when you turn... you know what I'm talking about?
Anyway, I have one of those under the CB and it works pretty well. I have hit a few bumps where the box kind of flaps up and down, I'll have to figure out a way to lock it open one of these days.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:59 PM

alright well i took some pics of my cb and a head unit...to compare size....tell me what you guys think about it fitting underneath my head unit! in my truck

This is the top view

This is a side by side view

This is just the front of my CB
Old 05-04-2004, 12:31 AM

the only dimesions to worry about are the height and width of the face, because you cant really cut a larger space out, but it looks to me like it will fit in the pocket below your stereo just fine. slide it in and check the depth, you may have to get a 90deg elbow to point the cable connector downwards. that will keep it from hitting the white plastic heater cover up against the firewall.

I plan on doing this in my 90 later this summer. the radio i have is the cobra wxst (some #...) its almost the same size as yours.

Last edited by sick4runner; 05-04-2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by sick4runner
the only dimesions to worry about are the height and width of the face, because you cant really cut a larger space out, but it looks to me like it will fit in the pocket below your stereo just fine. slide it in and check the depth, you may have to get a 90deg elbow to point the cable connector downwards. that will keep it from hitting the white plastic heater cover up against the firewall.

I plan on doing this in my 90 later this summer. the radio i have is the cobra wxst (some #...) its almost the same size as yours.
thanx for your input I think weds im gonna pull everything apart since i don't have to work after school and see if it will work! I may have to make some spacers for it width wise... but that aint a big deal! I'll get pics and tell you guys the outcome
Old 05-04-2004, 01:15 AM

sounds good!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:50 AM

After i get out of school today i am going to install my CB.. I have never actually installed one before.. Does anyone have any tips for me ? Could i possibly hook it up to the ACC for my stereo ? WOuld that draw to much power from that wire ? Where is a good place to run the coaxil cable to get it passed the firewall. My antenna will be hood mounted. Any other advice or anything would be great!

Last edited by LazuR; 05-05-2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 PM

Well it was alot harder then expected! The only thing i got accomplished was my whole truck tore apart! ½ inch wooden spacer on each side of my cb. and it mounted in! I don't have anything hooked up and have no clue how im going to get the coaxil cable into the Engine Bay! If anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know lol! I will try and get pics of everything tomorrow!

Quick Reply: CB Radio Install