Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

California emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California emissions question

I might be moving to CA for a job soon, so I need to learn more about what the emissions dept will have to say about the 7mgte in my 1988 4runner. I know there are a lot of members in CA so I am hoping that someone can answer some questions or at least point me to a site with all the regulations on this matter.

What I have heard:
It is legal in CA to swap an engine into a vehicle as long as the engine is a newer model year than the vehicle. If this is the case, I should be fine because the 7mgte was standard in the US from 87-92. However, the engine I used was a japanese one so I don't have any proof of the actual year of the engine. One thing that might work in my favor here is that the ECU I am using is 89-92 (87-88 are different than 89-92 for the 7mgte), so that may serve as proof if it is required. Is some sort of proof of the engine model year required?
Of course I would need to have a functioning EGR system and a catalytic converter.

When they do the inspection / emissions test, do they pop the hood and look things over? If not I could probably just be quiet about it and see if the 7mgte emissions are in the realm of the 3vze ones, which I think they are. Anyhow I don't know much about this, Idaho is pretty lax in this regard

Any info is greatly appreciated

-Mike
Old 03-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

For the most part I think they just pop open the hood and make sure you have the PCV valve there, etc. You can go to one of those places that have a "Pass or Don't Pay" deals and if you don't pass you can asked them why you didn't pass and get it fixed yourself.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:33 AM

Hmm well the 7mgte actually doesn't use a pcv valve. Under boost the crankcase vents to the preturbo side of the intake, and under vacuum it vents to the throttle body, but I know the system is approved in CA. That's not a bad idea to have it tested and then look at fixing it, but I would like to know what I'm in for ahead of time if possible.

And yeah if the guy that pops the hood is familiar at all with 4Runner's all he's gonna have to say is whiskey tango foxtrot

Last edited by GTE4runner; 03-05-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Posted from another online source:
"Keeping your engine swap legal is very important. Examine your state's vehicle code or contact the DMV to see what's legal and what's not. In California, the law says that an engine must be of the same year or newer as the car and be California emissions-legal. To avoid any hassles, it should also be of the same engine type that was originally available from the factory in that particular body style. Hmm, that's kind of a problem. Besides sidestepping the law (and we would never do anything like that), there are a couple options. The best is to have your entire car certified by the state by going to your local referee station for examination, testing, and BAR Vehicle Identification Label approval. You can call 800/622-7733 for an appointment. The other option (and definitely more work) is to keep the original engine on hand and swap it back in when you have to make a trip for the smog test, but we don't recommend doing it (legal reasons and all)."

Sounds pretty much like what you had mentioned before.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:03 PM

Yep it looks like I should be OK if I just go to a referee station, there's rundown on this link
this part makes me wonder a little bit though:

Engine Modifications
No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB-exempted or EPA-certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

I made my own intake piping, intercooler, and intercooler piping, among other things. I have a hard time believeing that they would have a problem with that though. If they do I guess I'm SOL I also have an upgraded turbo, maf housing, and injectors, but those aren't too tough to remove for inspection if it comes to that.

Thanks for the info guys, any more is also appreciated.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Ok, my experiences with my first '91 yota 2wd lowered truck and smog went like this: Custom intake, spotted within 10sec and failed the visual inspection - looked stock, drilled holes and drop in replacement element(not K&N and not CARB approved). installed cam, never mentioned never questioned on it. Any modification to the PCV system and you fail. Some stations actually check by "tugging" on the lines to make sure they're secure (no fake lines for visibilty sake). Other stations pop the hood, see an engine and then proceed to test. Go figure.

My first smog results ran cleaning than stock but I failed do to the visual.

Contact the DMV and get the vehicle certified with the modifications in it. Much easier than hassling with the smog criteria without the referee reclassification.

Side bar - How's Idaho? I'm going to Nampa, Boise, and Meridan Tomorrow to look at homes. I want to leave California very badly. I've been here to long and would like a smaller, cleaner place to live.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you two should trade houses!

Seriously, I would just get the entire vehicle reclassified (same as they would do for a kit car).
That way the smog guys will just see the sticker and quit with the visual inspection and do the smog test.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:08 PM

Once you get your runner here, you will have to take it to a BAR Referee (Bureau of Automotive repair). They will probably squack at the homemade intake tubing, and probably the upgraded turbo. But most smog stations won't touch modified cars (engine swaps) without the BAR sticker...

Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine
Side bar - How's Idaho? I'm going to Nampa, Boise, and Meridan Tomorrow to look at homes. I want to leave California very badly. I've been here to long and would like a smaller, cleaner place to live.
I'm in northern Idaho, from the Coeur d' Alene area, which is much prettier than Boise, etc. But I have been through Boise a few times, and it's a fairly clean, friendly city. I'm just graduating college this semester so I don't have a house to trade anyone Good luck finding a place...

I think I'll get in touch with a smog ref and talk some things over with him to nail down some details, but the general info posted was great - thanks