Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Broken captive weld nut in bed -help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken captive weld nut in bed -help

I broke one of the four weld nuts that hold the bed to frame. I was able to loosen the bolt just enough before the nut broke loose so that I could fit a hacksaw blade between the rail and the frame mount to cut the bolt.Now i have a loose nut/bolt floating in the bed rail and no way to attach a new bolt. Is my only solution to cut a window in the side of the bed rail and put in a loose nut where the weld nut had been attached?
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
how about some pics, it will help...
Old 07-04-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am guessing you are unable to remove the bed and weld another nut in for what ever reason .

Then your idea might be your best fix .

If you feel you really need that bolt .
Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Wyoming9, I do have the bed off. But the captive nut is, well, uh, captive. It is inside the frame rail with no access. During bed fabrication, I am guessing that the rail (u-channel in profile) with weld nuts already installed, is welded to the bottom of the bed, effectively sealing the weld nuts inside the channel.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:43 PM

Red face

If you have never done this type of fabrication I can see it might be confusing.

In essence what your doing is replacing the broken rusted nut with a new one

If you can weld just buy another weld nut most industrial suppliers sell them !!

Clean up maybe repair that section where the nut rusted and broke loose

Weld nuts are made with a wide flange on the top part of the nut to allow a good weld

I have done this same job quite often .

Living in the Northeast it is a given
Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a need for the nut to be welded behind the u-channel? Will it interfere with installation if it's welded on the open side of the rail? If not, why not weld a new nut on the open side of the rail?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Red face

You could do that but remember the open side is up against the bed

You would need to open the side at that point you may as well just use a bolt and nut
Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the top of the legs of the U-channel rail were welded to the underside of the bed thereby making the captive not inaccessible. So I was thinking of welding the nut to the underside of the U-Channel, which is the open side, that's why I was asking about interference. From what i've seen from pickup beds, there is normally a rubber strip to isolate the metal frame from the metal bed of the pickup so i assumed there must be some spacing/clearance between the ladder frame and the bed rail.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You could do that but remember the open side is up against the bed

You would need to open the side at that point you may as well just use a bolt and nut

Last edited by KZN185W; 07-05-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:45 PM

I would take a small rectangle steel plate that is smaller width then the hole. Drill a hole at one end for a smaller bolt size then the regular hole is. Make sure the length of the steel is longer then the captive channel. Thread the hole and then feed the thing up into the chenne through the holel and hold it there wih a magnet on the top or something. Then feed the new bolt (smaller diameter then stock) up into the plate for mounting. Then when it starts to turn inside the channel it will catch on the side cause it is longer then the channel is wide.

Last edited by Flash319; 07-08-2017 at 12:48 PM.