Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brembo rotors and Hawk LTS pads installed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brembo rotors and Hawk LTS pads installed...

Got it done Sunday night. First, thanks to all who have done write-ups and contributed to make a job like this possible to a neophyte like myself. For those who haven't tried and are skeptical, it is as easy as everyone says.

Now, on to the good stuff. I am extremely happy with the new setup. Vastly improved braking, much more consistent deceleration and stopping. I would highly recommend this combo, especially for those who may not want to undertake the Tundra caliper upgrade. It would be interesting if someone could compare the Tundra upgrade with upgraded oem spec brakes, I suspect probably not a heck of alot of difference.

One slight variation I did on my second brake after the anti-rattle clip flew off like many have warned about - take if off before sliding out the pins. It takes minimal pressure to get it out (at the bottom pin), conversely, putting it back on after you put the pins in makes it tremendously easier, both, to get the pins in and it is easier to turn them in order to get the retaining clip back through the holes in the pins. Maybe those of you more knowledgeable than myself already do this, but, I haven't seen it in any of the write-ups, so I hope it will help others down the road.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM

glad to hear everything fit and performed well.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

what'd you end up paying. i just redid my brakes last week with oem pads/rotors. cost me an arm and a leg but i couldn't be more satisfied
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
what'd you end up paying. i just redid my brakes last week with oem pads/rotors. cost me an arm and a leg but i couldn't be more satisfied
I hope you didn't pay more than $150-175. An arm and a leg sounds expensive...
Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Where can I get a step by step or guide for a brake job (front and back) ?
I'm thinking of same parts set as you have done.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sfm7315
Where can I get a step by step or guide for a brake job (front and back) ?
I'm thinking of same parts set as you have done.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...enance/brakes/

P.S. Yotatach helps those who help themselves.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:51 AM

I'm going to go with Autozone rotors, but I will look into those Hawk pads. I've heard good things about them.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I've had this combo installed since July and its been flawless...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
$172 shipped. My local dealer sent a flyer in the mail a week or so before I did it and it was $150 for front brake job. So for a small difference, I got new rotors which don't warp and better pads.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:50 AM

Hmm, I don't know about not warping. I have read a few folks who still suffer warping. Then again, are the rear brakes adjusted? Lately it seems on my rig that the front brakes are doing more than their fair share. I ride my motorcycle with the rear brake all the time-since the front is off. I am wondering if the 4runner fronts are undersized to save weight and money. That wouldn't be a big shocker as Toyota probably had to find some savings after dumping quite a bit into the engine and tranny.

The only rig I ever owned with adequate brakes was my v6 camry wagon. Yamaha heads and great brakes-poor seller. My brakes vibrate and heat quickly on wimpy hills. Brembo rotors and Hawk pads may be a great fix, but then again, does it address the root issue? At 4300lbs, twice the average car, do two small rotors and two small drums address the stopping issue? Just thinking out loud.

I know that with a full cargo area and a trailer, I was mindful that the 4runner had no braking capability from Portland to Denver. Thankfully the ride was mostly flat. I look at the 4runner braking as the greatest failure for Toyota.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:40 AM

I'm no expert, but, I think you are exactly right and many others have offered similar opinions. I don't know what you may have researched at this point, but, some have upgraded to the Tundra rotors and calipers to address this issue. However, no one has been able (at least to my knowledge) to compare the Tundra upgrade side by side with oem improvements. I suspect the results may be similar, but, changing pads and rotors is a little easier than changing out the entire caliper and having to bleed brake lines, etc.

BTW, adjusting the rears did help minimize the vibration tremendously.

Last edited by casey225; 11-09-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Issue is OEM pads are they are HARD, the material is very tough. This leads to less wear at cost of braking ability.

My T100 has 15" rims and rotors and I can stop on a dime if need be with this combo installed.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 AM

Where did you guys get your Hawk pads from? I'm looking at tirerack, but just wondering if there was another source.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by p nut
Where did you guys get your Hawk pads from? I'm looking at tirerack, but just wondering if there was another source.
I chose tire rack, cheaper and easier imho..

No local store carried them..
Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM

I got Brembo rotors and had pretty good luck with them. They do seem to be more resilient. I am however slowly warping them too (I don't remember if I got 20 or 30K on them), but I live on a steep hill that takes a lot of braking. I probably did the worst of it driving down hill in the mountains even though I geared down (had too much speed). I did have the rearbrakes adjusted but as you said I think the front still gets the brunt of the force needed to brake the truck.

But the pads the shop put on has always squealed which might explain so of my issues. I will try the Hawk pads next time (anyone got the partsnumbers?)
Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Part number is:

HB315Y.669

I believe the part number is the same for a 15" wheel versions, too.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by p nut
Part number is:

HB315Y.669

I believe the part number is the same for a 15" wheel versions, too.
thanks I will call tirerack and make sure then.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM

I too installed these last May and have yet to be let down by them. They are excellant quality and continue to hold up nicely to my abuse!

Highly recommend this combo!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I hope you guys are right. I just ordered them for the next brake job (probably a few months down the road). They only carry one size for that model 4runnner regardless of wheel size.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
I hope you guys are right. I just ordered them for the next brake job (probably a few months down the road). They only carry one size for that model 4runnner regardless of wheel size.
If that is the case, than why would they have different manufacturer part #'s?

Quick Reply: Brembo rotors and Hawk LTS pads installed...