Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake Locking Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Locking Up

2000 4Runner SR5 4x4. I’m having issues with the driver’s side rear brake locking up. I’ll come to a stop and you can feel that brake suddenly just lock. So far always when I’m about at a stop and doesn’t happen if I slow down slowly until I'm almost stopped.

On dry pavement when I start up there’s enough friction between tire and pavement to make it rotate, on ice or snow, I’m screwed. However if I back up, just a little, it will unlock. (at least so far)

I’ve had it in the shop twice. First time they took both rear drums off and cleaned and checked everything and then readjusted the brakes. They worked for maybe a day. Then the driver’s side started locking up again. It was icy out and a real pain in the butt.

Today I took it back, they figured there had to be something broken in there it apart, cleaned it, found nothing broken or missing, both brake shoes look good. The drivers side seal is just showing the very slightest trace of oil seepage but it’s basically just a little ring of dust around the seal, no oil in the drum. Ended up taking both drums off and readjusted the brakes again. I drove it around town for 2 hours starting and stopping, I thought it still felt weird but it didn’t lock up.

Came back home let it set out for awhile and when I got it and moved it the brake locked up. Back to square one.

It has been extremely cold here and it seems like that makes the situation worse, of course I might imagine that too. Dealer shop and they haven’t charged me anything, I think they’re at a loss too. Would appreciate some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
I would look at the Auto adjusting lever to make sure it isn't bent or loose, also check nothing is binding on the e-brake lever or on the brake cylinder itself, I would also check to make sure the bellcrank and bellcrank bracket for the e-brake cable isn't sticking, the bracket is Aluminum and the lever is steel and they don't really get along well.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm99
I would look at the Auto adjusting lever to make sure it isn't bent or loose, also check nothing is binding on the e-brake lever or on the brake cylinder itself, I would also check to make sure the bellcrank and bellcrank bracket for the e-brake cable isn't sticking, the bracket is Aluminum and the lever is steel and they don't really get along well.
Thank you for your reply.

This problem is really intermittent which makes it difficult to pinpoint. It almost seems worse when it's under 20 but somedays it works good at those temps.

I'll look at what you suggest.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:54 PM

I thought I'd better post a conclusion to this thread.

I had the dealership look at this problem a couple of times, they'd clean things up, the brake would work fine for awhile then back to the same old crap. Finally I left it with Jesse Meyers at ATLR in Denver while I flew out of DIA for a week long trip. When I came back it was fixed.

Jesse found that the axle seal on that side was seeping, something the dealership had noted, but what they'd missed was that although there was a tiny bit of oil escaping it was enough to sling it all over the drum and shoes and causing them to gum up. The dealership would clean everything which would help until more oil was slung on it. I had Jesse replace seals on both sides and install new brakes while we were at it. The problem has been gone now since Feb so I think that's been solved.

So if you just have a seeping seal, it can still screw up things for you.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am guessing The techs were young and might have only seen your set of drum brakes.

Just could not understand how Gear Oil on the Shoes and drum would cause the brake to lock no doubt thought it having oil on would not grab at all.

Glad you got it sorted out.