Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blue lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:30 AM
DuB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue lighting

I know some of you have been looking around for a way to change your dash lighting to blue (blue condoms, blue bulbs). Some guys over on clublexus.com changed their interior lighting to blue. They used blue LEDs and resistors to get the voltage right.

I was also brainstorming some more and the idea of using a blue cold cathode came to mind. It would be much simpler than LEDs with resistors on them as you would only need one 4" tube behind the gauges and one behind the A/C controls. then maybe a LED here and there for the rest of the lights if you want to change the individual buttons to blue or something. Plus, it might be a little more cost effective as 2 4" cathodes and an inverter to run both of them would cost somewhere around $15-20, whereas high-intensity blue leds and resistors might cost more since the LEDs could be up to $4 each :eek: Plus, the cold cathodes are probably more resistant to voltage changes, and probably would give more even lighting. The only problem I can think of at the moment (but I haven't thought about it much) is if the cathode tubes can fit behind the gauges and A/C panels.

I'm thinking of perhaps tryin it out, but it's mostly just brainstorming at this point because I think blue is a little too much for my tastes. I have blue neons in my footwells, but blue dash lighting might be a little oveboard for me. Plus, blue is hard on the eyes so... If I was to do it, I'd put the blue lighting on a switch so I can use it if it suites my mood Another thing I might consider is using a white cold cathode behind the gauges for a pseudo-lexus gauge look

Anyway, your thoughts?
Old 11-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm
Old 11-06-2002, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

What a kawingkadink! I was thinking about doing the same thing all week long. The local electronics store has LED for about $6.00 for a 25 pack. That's for yellow, green, and red colors. I'm not sure how much blue would be. I didn't price the resistors. I'll check it out tomorrow or Friday. I'm planning on getting indilgo gauges, so I'm not going to bother with that part.

Are those bulbs on the website that dajabr posted for interior? Most of them look like they are exterior bulbs.

DuB---Kinda unrelated, but I just got some 15" neons and was wondering how you installed yours in the footwells? I'm having problems with where to put them on the passengers side. There is a bunch of stuff (AC/Heat related I think) in the way. I may just put in under the seat if all else fails.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

The little bulbs are at the way bottom of the page...
Old 11-06-2002, 12:39 PM

I have changed my dome light bulbs from clear to blue and they give a nice effect.Only concern i have about the cc tubes are they may give out to much light. If you light the whole area behind the ac control panel you may get light bleeding thru cracks and separations around the panel. Now with ledz you will have more control.Right now im working on a replacment lense for the door panel light. I want to change from the red lense to a blue one.

I was at wal-mart yesterday and saw some blue market lights about 1/2" x 1". I thinking about adding them to the front fender area, as a turn signal light.Does anyone know if that color will be legal to use.:rolleyes:
Old 11-06-2002, 03:13 PM
DuB

wow, those are some pretty cool bulbs. I've been looking for yellow glass 168 bulbs. They're kind of expensive though. I got yellow glass 1156 bulbs from autodynamic.com for $2.50 each and that site has them for $14.80 a pair :eek:

DH6twinotter, zip ties gallore I zip tied them to whatever was available in that area. The passenger side one is kind of wedged in. I used 8" neons though. 15" is HUGE!

Firefighter, yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the bleeding. Do you know if CCs can be dimmed? Then it might work for the A/C controls, but LEDs may be the best solution.

I only started looking into cold cathodes because I was looking for a domelight substitue but the smallest CC I could find was 4". Does anyone know where smaller ones are available? Or where a bigger domelight is available?

I'm pretty sure blue would be illegal as a sidemarker. That color is reserved for emergency vehicles. Speaking of sidemarkers, I noticed the other day that Volvo has some nice ones for their cars.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

This whole thread really intrigues me, I have been waning to change my lights around to blue or white for awhile now, but in some kind of economical way, we all seem to be really good at that around here. I am getting reverse indi's here soon and a new Sony headunit sometime in Dec. or Jan.(it will be lit blue as well) and I would really like if my interior lighting scheme would match in some way. If anyone gets into actually doing something, let us know and perhaps a write up could be made. I know alot of people here have at one time or another discussed doing something like this. Thanks guys for the great ideas and hopes of something working finally. Good Luck and please keep us posted.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by FireFighter
I was at wal-mart yesterday and saw some blue market lights about 1/2" x 1". I thinking about adding them to the front fender area, as a turn signal light.Does anyone know if that color will be legal to use.:rolleyes:
More than likely, they would not be legal. As you know FF, us in PA have a very very tough inspection process for our vehicles. I am sure that that alone would not allow the lights. Also, the cops and other law enforcement officers would probably see it and stop you really quickly. I am not sure, so maybe check some local police stations and see what they say. Goodluck! :fireman:
Old 11-06-2002, 09:24 PM

Yeah i know what ya mean about the vehicles laws here. They are very strict. I sometimes get hassled for my red strobe lights and siren.I wonder how blue windshield washer nozzles would look on my rig. HMMMMMMM
Old 11-07-2002, 04:00 AM

It's alittle more relaxed here out west
Old 11-07-2002, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Just go back from the electronics store. I can get a 25 pack of super bright blue LEDs for about $7.00. It is about $1.50 for a 6 pack of 1/2w or 1/4w resistors.

I had another idea for my climate controls. I have seen stuff in model railroad magazines that is sort of like the stuff indiglo gauges are made from. You can cut out the shape you want and it comes in several different colors. I'm not sure how bright it is or if it runs off 12 volts. It's made for making "neon" signs for the model buildings. Here's what I was thinking about doing with this stuff:

I would remove my panel around the climate controls and remove the thin plastic layer off of the panel (is this possible?) and replace it with an indiglow cover from railroad mag. I would then go to Staples (or similar store) buy some clear sticky paper that I can run through my printer. I would use paint (CAD would be better, I think) or some other program to design all the lettering etc. I would use black surround and have white lettering etc. It would look pretty much like reverse indiglow gauges when finished.

If I remember correctly, the "Indiglo" paper is about $12 for something the size of my climate controls. Just brainstorming here, but would be cool if it works.

DuB---My neons are 10". I wasn't thinking when I posted earlier. 15" would be huge.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-07-2002, 09:05 AM

DH6 thats sounds like a great idea to try. The plastic face platefor the ac/heater controls is removable. The Electro luminescent sheet you are talking will work, and you may be able to use the stock cover.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

So, the thin layer on the climate control panel can come off? That's great! I may try this mod. I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and see if I can find the article. The local hobby shop may have the stuff too. I was also thinking about using the same idea that FireFighter had for your turn signals in my ignition light. I wonder if I could open up my clock and see if I could stick some in there too. Would be cool.

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-07-2002, 11:19 AM

I've tried using the blue condoms on the bulbs bend the heater controls on my 98 and it didn't really work, it was just darker and not very blue. I think the trick may be to get some blue plastic that is used for theatre lights and put that on the back of the panel, that still doesn't quite fix the speedo colors though. One thing I do know is that VW uses clear bulbs and the panel is what gives it the blue color and they have the brightest blue I've ever seen.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:10 PM

DH6twinotter I was also thinking about using the same idea that FireFighter had for your turn signals in my ignition light.

DOH I never thougt about changing that light.The first light i change to blue was the led for my alarm. Now it looks like im going to get some more blue leds. DH6 stop putting these ideas into my head
Old 11-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FireFighter
The first light i change to blue was the led for my alarm. Now it looks like im going to get some more blue leds.
Did you have to use resistors for those blue LEDs? If so, what wattage? I don't really know how to figure that out.

Does any body know what voltage the dash lights run on? I'm assuming it is 12 volts like everything else, but just want to make sure.

I think we may get this thing to work....
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-07-2002, 05:27 PM

The led for the alarm i didnt add a resister since there was'nt one when i removed the red led.I also added 2 Blue leds to my map lights. I got those at PepBoys and they had the resister already installed for 12v use. I think they are called license plate lights. They screw into your holes for the license plate.I'll try and take a pic of them 2nite or sometime tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

I checked the hobby shop for the electro luminescent sheet. They can order it for about $22.00. It's only about 1-3/4" by 4". I don't think it's big enough to go behind the climate controls. One thing that is nice is that the sheet has 6 plugs in it. So, I could cut it into 6 different pieces and place them where most needed. The kit comes with 5 or 6 different colors, a switch, and some sort of circuit or something. It runs off 3 volts, so would probably need a resistor or something. I meant to check the electronics store, but forgot. I'll call them either tomorrow (if open) or Monday.

I wonder if that neon string stuff and auto parts stores will work behind the climate controls? Might not be bright enough.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 11-10-2002, 08:25 PM

DH6 here is a link for some larger EL sheets
EL Cable – 2.5mm and 3.7 mm diameters and up to 820 feet long, 8 colors

EL Sheets – 16” (h) x 11” (w) and can be cut to virtually any shape, 8 colors

EL Flatlite – Widths from 0.25” to 27” wide, up to 300 feet long, 8 colors

http://www.beingseen.com/

http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aer...es/durel.jhtml
Old 11-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Hey! Thanks! I also saw that website yesterday while I was doing a search on google. That EL sheet for $60 seems like it would work. I may give them a call.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter

Quick Reply: Blue lighting